How do I download apps & or games to my sd card & not my phone first?

A

AC Question

how do I download apps & or games to my sd card & not my phone first?

I need to download apps directly on my sd card because if I download a game on my phone it tells me theres not enough memory to do so & I have cleared everything!!!! So please don't tell me to do that and I don't really want to "root" my phone can you wonderful people please help me? Thank you very much.

Ordwynac

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: how do I download apps & or games to my sd card & not my phone first?

If you go into Settings > Applications, you have the ability to (usually) see: your downloaded apps, apps that are running, and all of your apps. From here, select an app and an option to "move to SD card" might be available. Certain apps can be offloaded to the SD card, some cannot so it's kind of hit and miss. If you find that you cannot move any apps and the problem persists, then you should consider upgrading your phone as a lot of phones these days have plenty of memory.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! There's no way to do that on an unrooted device. Apps have to download and install to Internal Storage first--afterwards, you can try moving a portion of the app to SD, as Ordwynac pointed out.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

All computers work that way. Download a 2GB file to your Windows computer's D drive and after the download completes, you'll tee it being moved to the D drive - it downloads to a temporary folder on the C drive first.

(Linux, of course, is different - you can make any kinds of changes you like [or a developer can write an app to] because it's open source. You can even use your SD card as your "internal" storage [CyanogenMod 7 did that - it's the last one I used, so I don't know if they continued doing it after version 7.])