What are my choices for standalone smart Watches?

A

AC Question

i am looking for a smart watch that can connect to a smartphone through cellular connection as opposed to Bluetooth, so that I could use my smart watch to call/text through my phone number when I didn't have my phone with me. I have seen the Samsung Galaxy Gear S, but I was wondering if there were any alternatives, possibly cheaper? Again, I would like to be able to receive and make calls, as well as receive and write text messages from my phone number through cellular data without my phone in hand.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't think that would be possible, because that would require the watch to have its own line. You can't have two separate devices with the same cell number, because they would each require their own SIM card if you want them to be able to work independently of each other.

I've seen a couple of obscure branded watches that offer independent calling, but they looked gigantic, and I would be very cautious about them since their tech support might be very minimal or nonexistent.

JCarp2000

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
The Galaxy Gear S has its own SIM card and it can connect to the phone through the data plan that it can get through the SIM card...I was wondering if there were any smartwatches that had this function as well

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't know much about the Gear S--but are you saying that it can connect to mobile data using its own SIM card, using the same data plan as the phone? That would make sense, because the data plan is presumably shared among the lines. But I don't believe you'd be able to make a phone call from the watch using the same number as that for the phone. You might be able to share call minutes, but you can't share the same number between two different devices.

Kevie Cam

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
The Gear S is the device you're looking for. I have the device and you can run it using a separate line (tethering whenever you chose) or completely tethered but either way you can make and receive calls. I chose a separate line as there are times when I like leaving my S6 Edge home and on those occasions I forward my calls to the Gear S as not to miss any calls or text messages.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress