Why is my Galaxy S6 edge plus's battery draining so fast?

A

AC Question

I recently bought this phone and I have noticed that the battery is draining fast. The battery level dropped by almost 10% in 15-20 mins while I was just doing normal texting. I have used the phone in safe mode as well and in standby mode the phone just lasted for 24 hrs as opposed to 3 days of standby time as claimed by Samsung. So I was just wondering if there is an issue with my battery or with the phone or if this is normal in S6 edge plus?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Ankur Yadav1

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

1.jpg
2.jpg

These screenshots show when I used the phone from 100% to 0% in safe mode to ensure that no 3rd party app is causing this drain. In safe mode I used the phone for few mins only and screen time was only 1 hr 45 mins (9% usage) and the cell standby and android OS was 30 hrs. So the battery lasted for 30 hrs in total only and as claimed by Samsung it should have lasted for 2-3 days in standby mode. And when I used the phone for texting at 20% as u can see in the graph then within 15 mins the battery dropped from 20% to 11%.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you tap the Cell Standby category, do you get any details? Also, if you tap the battery graph, do you get a fullscreen graph, with bars at the bottom showing information about the cell signal strength? Poor cell signal is a big reason for battery drain, so if you saw a lot of red in the cell signal bar, that would make me think it's one of the main reasons for your drain. Some phones don't give you that info, so you can install something like GSam Battery Monitor to get more details.

Ankur Yadav1

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Yes. I do have the signals problem and always get 2-3 bars of signals only in my apartment. So is that the main reason for this much battery drain? Also is there any application to fix this problem?
Thank you so much for your feedback

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
2-3 bars doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Use GSam Battery Monitor to get a better idea of the signal strength over the course of a battery charge. If it's poor, there isn't much you can do besides switching to a different carrier with a better signal. Wireless carriers often offer signal boosters (sometimes for free), but these generally become active during a call, and not when the phone is idle.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As mentioned in my initial response, it would be helpful if you charged up to 100%, then used it down to 20-30% (not down by 20-30%), so we can see what the battery usage is after almost using up a full battery charge. It would also be helpful to see the fullscreen battery graph, which shows the cell signal strength.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with belodion--see if things change after a reboot.

It looks like cell signal strength isn't a problem, and I don't see any one app (apart from the system) using lots of battery. There seems to be a fair amount of Awake time (6:32, even though screen was on for only 1:31), so that makes me wonder if a bunch of apps are constantly waking the phone (with partial wakelocks, that don't turn on the screen) in order to refresh data. Try changing the data refresh for as many apps as possible to the longest interval (or Manual, if possible). You could also try going to Settings>Data Usage​ and Restrict Background Data.

Ankur Yadav1

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I have already tried restarting the device and the problem still exists. And in terms of data I keep my wifi on and the apps that I use r only 3-4 like facebook, whatsapp, instagram. The main source of battery drainage is android system and screen? I was wondering is it possible that there is a problem with my battery and I should get it replaced? or it just could be a bug in the system that can go away after the marshmallow update? Coz originally I thought that there is a problem with my battery but now it seems like it could be an Android OS bug.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That percentage of battery usage for System and OS isn't that unusual. Facebook and Instagram could possibly be causing a lot of those partial wakelocks. Also consider turning off Location History (in Settings>Location​).

Ankur Yadav1

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I always keep location off. And I am not able to see apps causing wakelocks as my device is not rooted. So just to clarify, do u think there is problem with my hardware or battery and should I get it changed or its something else?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I really can't say for sure. If the phone is pretty new, and you can get a replacement easily, then that would probably be the ideal solution. A little over 90 minutes of total screen-on time for a full battery charge, in the absence of any obvious battery sucking factors, is good enough reason to seek an exchange.

thywordisalamp

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I have the EXACT same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge plus.

I have tried every single thing about it to stop it from draining but its still dying so quickly.

So I picked my last resort, send it in for repair. since my phone is fairly new and still have warranty.

Samsung in Texas did a service on my phone. The prognosis was the battery has a problem.
so they replaced the battery and the phone's back side cover (for overheating - they said), they also gave me a new sim card tray.

and guess what, without a sim card (service/carrier) , yes it was doing okay, it wasn't draining as bad.
but when i started to use it with my AT&T simcard. the problem still persist.
still draining quickly.

the phone is from AT&T and it should be compatible with their sim. I still believe it has something to do with software wise.

if anyone has a solution please let me know. I'm getting desperate.

Mash09

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
I am from Bangladesh and i bought the Edge Plus 3 days back. Before this i used a Note 4 that has served me really good. It was prolly the best phone in terms of every aspect.

Now initially i thought i was just freaking out as i was comparing edge plus with the note 4 (that had a 3220 mAh battery). Now after three days, it seems that my phone is also draining and the jey cause is the android system.

I have taken some screenshots that might (hopefully) shed some light in the issue. I am desperately looking for a sollution.

mrose72

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Exact same issue with my S6 Edge. Powered up my phone to 100% last night, this morning its at 30%! Nothing running, no apps in freq used. Battery usage and gsam both report its the os. Ugh!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38