Other storage is increasing

dongsoo308

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys. I rooted my HTC One M8 a little while ago and everything was fine except for the storage. When I check the amount of space I have left, the other storage is insanely huge. Before rooting, it was at a normal amount and now it's over 10gb. This is weird since rooting should only be a change in permissions or something if I'm correct. Please help!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
It could be something taking up cache space, have you backed up your phone lately and tried a factory reset to see how it does over a few days to see if it does the same thing?

dongsoo308

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Hey sorry for the late reply. I haven't backed up my phone using the HTC backup program and instead used Titanium Backup. I have tried a factory reset before but it messed up my phone somehow and I had to send it to Rogers to get it fixed. I tried multiple storage cleaning apps, deleted cache and all that jazz but it didn't really do much. It lowered it by maybe 1 or 2 gb and then rose again but took a bit longer for it to increase.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You're almost correct about rooting - it's the addition of a single file, su (often referred to as the su binary) and a control app for it - SuperSU and Superuser are the commonly used ones. It shouldn't change the amount of storage being used by much. (Both su and the control app are small.)

Check to see what the "other" usage is.

dongsoo308

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
How exactly would I check the "other" storage? I checked online before multiple times and I never found an actual way. The most I got was it's everything that doesn't go into the other categories found in the storage section in settings.