Can't get Gmail app notifications how I want them

para05

May 26, 2016
Visit site
I've read a couple of things about similar issues but the options that people mention don't seem to match up with what I can see myself. All I want the app to do is give me a notification on my status bar when I get an email but I don't want any sound of vibration.

If I go in to my settings and turn notifications on, the only additional relevant options I have is for enabling sound and enabling vibrate. The vibrate box isn't checked, but it still vibrates anyway. The sound is set as my default tone, but there's no option to actually disable it. When I select it, it just brings up a file explorer to an empty folder. But if I disable the notifications option, the sounds and vibrations stop but I don't get anything in my status bar.

I don't remember having any issue sorting this out on my old phone. The phone is a Galaxy S6 and the app is up to date. Any advice would be appreciated as it's really annoying me.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! This is what I do to mute email arrivals and still keep the notifications on the status bar. Open Gmail app - swipe in from the left edge to open the side menu - scroll down and select settings - select account if you have more than one - manage label - select label. Tap on sound and scroll up, 'none' should be the second option. Uncheck vibrate. Repeat these steps for every label you have.

para05

May 26, 2016
Visit site
I did it that way instead and it seems to have fixed it. Thanks!

An issue was that the first time I'd tried to open the ringtone options, it asked how I wanted to open it and I chose my file explorer instead of the android media thing. So then every time I tried to change the ringtone, it opened my file explorer and I couldn't change anything. I cleared the default app settings though and it let me choose the right option to access the ringtones and change it to silent.