Can I recover the deleted "ETC" file on my tablet..?!

A

AC Question

I'm a writer.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note tablet (2014 edition) on Android 5.1.1. It is NOT rooted. My other computer is an old Macbook (from around 2010).

A week or so ago I downloaded the app, "Writer Plus", to start typing up all my stories.

After a series of unfortunate events that led to me deleting the "ETC" file to free up some space on my tablet, I realised doing so wiped clean ALL the data in my Writer Plus app. (There may have also been a "DATA" file I deleted along with it.)

I've been up all night downloading programs on my mac to try and restore the data, but they're all expensive and It seems I also need to get a new cord and card-adapter, but I'm not sure any of them will even be able to find and recover the specific files I need.

What I want to know - from all the brilliant tech-minded folk out there willing to help - is if it's even POSSIBLE to recover the files from that specific app, and is there a way to do it ON my tablet? (because keep in mind, buying new tech and software really isn't an option for a penniless writer, and I mean that sincerely).

I contacted the app creator but they don't seem able to help me.
Since discovering the app had no cloud-sync or automatic backup, I've downloaded a partner-app that does that very job (for future use, because I really do love the app), but that doesn't help me with my already-lost files.

I really need a hacker buddy to help me out here, guys. I feel like the universe just took a crap on my soul. o_O

I can't just let these files be lost forever. And besides which, people are always saying nothing is ever really completely deleted from our devices, you just gotta know how to find them and put the pieces back together.

I need someone to help me find those pieces. PLEASE.
:c

Mountain Dwells

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
Can I recover the deleted "ETC" file on my tablet..?! o_O

I'm a writer.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note tablet (2014 edition) on Android 5.1.1. It is NOT rooted. My other computer is an old Macbook (from around 2010).

A week or so ago I downloaded the app, "Writer Plus", to start typing up all my stories.

After a series of unfortunate events that led to me deleting the "ETC" file to free up some space on my tablet, I realised doing so wiped clean ALL the data in my Writer Plus app. (There may have also been a "DATA" file I deleted along with it.)

I've been up all night downloading programs on my mac to try and restore the data, but they're all expensive and It seems I also need to get a new cord and card-adapter, but I'm not sure any of them will even be able to find and recover the specific files I need.

What I want to know - from all the brilliant tech-minded folk out there willing to help - is if it's even POSSIBLE to recover the files from that specific app, and is there a way to do it ON my tablet? (because keep in mind, buying new tech and software really isn't an option for a penniless writer, and I mean that sincerely).

I contacted the app creator but they don't seem able to help me.
Since discovering the app had no cloud-sync or automatic backup, I've downloaded a partner-app that does that very job (for future use, because I really do love the app), but that doesn't help me with my already-lost files.

I really need a hacker buddy to help me out here, guys. I feel like the universe just took a crap on my soul. o_O

I can't just let these files be lost forever. And besides which, people are always saying nothing is ever really completely deleted from our devices, you just gotta know how to find them and put the pieces back together.

I need someone to help me find those pieces. PLEASE.
:c

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
First, it's lower case (case counts in Linux, and Android runs on Linux), so it's /etc, not /ETC. (The slash means that it's off the root of the storage device, not off another folder.)

Second, /etc is a folder, not a file. You have to create it (which can overwrite a file name, meaning that the file is gone forever - so you don't want to do that).

The easiest way, especially since this is a Samsung, is to reflash the stock ROM. See [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN for instructions. (Don't worry - the worst thing that will happen is that you'll die of boredom - the first time you flash a Samsung ROM might be scary, but by the 10th time you do it during prime time so that you have something to do for 10 or 15 minutes.)

Once you've done that your system will be back. You'll have lost all your personal data, files, etc., but you do have all that backed up, right? (If you don't, you'd better do it before you flash the ROM - see Backing up an Android Device.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can I recover the deleted "ETC" file on my tablet..?! o_O

Moved from the Galaxy Note forum (for the original Note phone) to the Note 10.1 (2014) forum.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non