How can I disable the "firewall" on Android 7.0?

A

AC Question

I rely on SSHDroid to transfer files to/from my phone. It's worked great for years. Now I've (stupidly) upgraded to Android 7.0 and a "helpful" security feature is that it firewalls off all incoming network traffic. This renders SSHDroid utterly useless and, by extension, renders my phone much, much less useful to me than it was a few weeks ago before this Android 7.0 disaster.

How can I turn off this misfeature?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. I don't see how Nougat can firewall off all network traffic as my browsers work great using wifi and I can communicate with my PC with no problems. I would suggest SSHDroid may need to be set differently or require an upgrade to work with N.

jdbaldwin

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the response, but please note I said "INCOMING network traffic." Of course I can still use my phone to browse, connect outbound to other things. I can't connect to it from another device. That's the "feature" I'd like to turn off.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Nougat doesn't include its own firewall (well technically it does -- iptables is integrated in the kernel, but it's not enabled) so it does sound like it's just a matter where the upgrade altered some networking aspect that messed up some setting in your SSHDroid configuration. Try going into your app manager, tap 'Force stop' and then 'Clear data'. Then start up SSHDroid and since you did 'Clear data' the app is basically starting from scratch, so you'll need to reconfigure it the same way you did when you originally installed it.

Also, maybe give some thought to also upgrading to a different SSH app, SSHDdroid hasn't been updated in almost a couple of years (Aug 2015). Currently I use JuiceSSH but have read glowing reviews about ConnectBot.
ConnectBot
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=org.connectbot&hl=en&token=U9hLFw8Q
JuiceSSH
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.sonelli.juicessh&token=3BWOKE-Z

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez