Can I disable this new taskbar in Android 13?

Atlassian

Oct 15, 2023
Visit site
Hi, I registered for an account here to post this answer as it's the only place I found that are as annoyed as me about this.
I registered an account today to thank you for your posted reply with a workaround. You're an awesome person. I honestly don't know how anyone could appreciate this "feature" in it's current and forced upon us state.
My Lenovo M9 originally had this set to 640, when I set it to 599, the taskbar disappeared.
I have the same tablet. This post was on point for me, thank you!

And to the Lenovo/Android teams, please fix (or provide option to remove/disable) this an incredibly invasive and obtrusive "taskbar" so that it's optional to enable (opt-in), customizable, can be disabled (opt-out) at any time.

Reactions: LenovoTabletUser

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree this is an obnoxious feature which doesn't conform to Google's own Android 13 implementation, and having been in contact with Lenovo, there does not appear to be a way to properly disable it at this time, but I hope they will add one now that this issue has been raised.

Internally, it's connected to two Android 'secure' values called "ov_tbar_hide_flag" and "ov_fullscreen_tbar", you can try adjusting these values with ADB but I don't think that helps. You can also disable the Smart Launcher (com.tblenovo.launcher) package in ADB, the taskbar does go away, but even while using another launcher this will also break the swipe up go home gesture and app switcher.

Instead, if you tap and hold in the blank space in the sides of the taskbar it should hide, and tap and hold again on the home bar to reveal it again. You can also customize it by dragging app icons in and out of it while on the home screen, and as someone else reported removing all app icons and disabling the "Display 'All applications' list entry in the Taskbar" in "Home settings" can also get it to hide, except on the home screen.
I recently got a Lenovo Tab M9, which was just updated to Android 13. I can confirm the method to hide the taskbar -- it's pretty easy. For anyone who still doesn't like it, send feedback to Google from within the system settings menu. This forum is an independent community, without any direct affiliation with Google or Lenovo, so asking for changes here won't have any effect.

kx3

Oct 20, 2023
Visit site
I also registered to follow this thread as the new taskbar is annoying me to the point that I wanted to throw my tablet in the trash can after I spent an hour trying to find a way to ditch those childish and useless icons. That's the sort of thing that might prevent me to buy another Lenovo product in the future. Tab P11 2nd Gen. Hope to get a full hide option and not a workaround.

Reactions: LenovoTabletUser

LenovoTabletUser

Oct 21, 2023
Visit site
I have the Lenovo Tab M9.
This new Taskbar that was added from the Google Android software update totally breaks the way I use the tablet. The Taskbar cannot be removed!? Why?
The Taskbar covers content and even the interface of the of system settings and apps that I use, including webpages I use frequently use that have interface interactions that are now hidden behind the annoying "Taskbar".
The Taskbar was added with google apps by default. I am wondering if Google can be sued for this or if it could be added to some evidence in a similar case. I think I recall microsoft getting sued for doing similar things with Windows and Explorer, etc.
I do not want to move to gesture navigation, I have been using the three button navigation since it was introduced to Android when phones started removing the physical three buttons many years ago. Besides, even changing the setting from three button navigation to gesture navigation, and removing all of the apps from the taskbar, the "hidden" taskbar still takes up real estate on the bottom of the screen.
I use the tablet in horizontal orientation and the new task bar takes up a significant amount or vertical space on the screen.
Please bring back the original three button navigation without the taskbar previous to Android software update 13.
I have created an account here because of this issue.
Lenovo and Google employees that see these posts, please elevate this issue in your system.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Sorry you don't like it, but I can't imagine any lawsuit about it against Google or Lenovo that wouldn't be laughed out of court. The OS is Google's and the interface modifications are Lenovo's, not the user's, so they're both free to modify it.

The way to make this known to Lenovo is to send feedback from within the Lenovo Vantage app. Oddly, Lenovo seems to have removed the option in the system settings to give feedback directly to Google -- this is typically in the About Tablet menu, but it's nowhere to be seen. If I search the settings for "feedback", it says it's in the Device Identifiers menu, but when I go there, it's not present.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

LenovoTabletUser

Oct 21, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Sorry you don't like it, but I can't imagine any lawsuit about it against Google or Lenovo that wouldn't be laughed out of court. The OS is Google's and the interface modifications are Lenovo's, not the user's, so they're both free to modify it.

The way to make this known to Lenovo is to send feedback from within the Lenovo Vantage app. Oddly, Lenovo seems to have removed the option in the system settings to give feedback directly to Google -- this is typically in the About Tablet menu, but it's nowhere to be seen. If I search the settings for "feedback", it says it's in the Device Identifiers menu, but when I go there, it's not present.
Thank you for the info.

I also could not find where to give feedback using the Lenovo/Android settings menu system on the Tab M9. (as mentioned in a previous post on this thread) I suppose I need to find feedback contact on some Lenovo website.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the info.

I also could not find where to give feedback using the Lenovo/Android settings menu system on the Tab M9. (as mentioned in a previous post on this thread) I suppose I need to find feedback contact on some Lenovo website.
I mentioned that the feedback to Lenovo is through the Lenovo Vantage app -- do you see that in your app drawer? I think it replaced the older Tablet Center app.

lianergoist

Oct 22, 2023
Visit site
I wrote to lenovo and got this answer:

"I understand your concern about the solid gray taskbar on your Lenovo Tab M10 Plus 3rd Gen after the Android 13 update. Unfortunately, the color and transparency of the taskbar are determined by the Android system and Lenovo does not have control over these settings.
However, you may try to use a third-party launcher from the Google Play Store that allows customization of the taskbar. Please note that Lenovo does not officially support or guarantee the functionality of third-party apps."

Third-party launcher, that allow customization of the taskbar.... 🤔

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I wrote to lenovo and got this answer:

"I understand your concern about the solid gray taskbar on your Lenovo Tab M10 Plus 3rd Gen after the Android 13 update. Unfortunately, the color and transparency of the taskbar are determined by the Android system and Lenovo does not have control over these settings.
However, you may try to use a third-party launcher from the Google Play Store that allows customization of the taskbar. Please note that Lenovo does not officially support or guarantee the functionality of third-party apps."

Third-party launcher, that allow customization of the taskbar....
Lol ...at least they wrote you back

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Pongo

Nov 9, 2023
Visit site
I've opened an account simply to contribute to this discussion. I have a Lenovo Tab M10 Plus and really disliked the new Android 13 taskbar, particularly the 3 navigation buttons squashed on the right - I'm "old school" and prefer navigation buttons. The best / only solution I've found is to first set the tablet to gesture navigation, then double tap and hold the grey area of the taskbar which will then minimise except on the main homepage.
Stop then if you simply want gesture navigation without the taskbar (except on the homepage) BUT if you also want the 3 navigation buttons, install from Google Play an app called "Bottom Navigation Bar" by MaraVilApps (other similar apps may do the job, this was simply the one that I tried). This puts the 3 (resizeable) buttons at the bottom in the middle - not squeezed up! This results in having both gesture AND 3 button navigation at the same time, simply use which you prefer or mix and match to circumstances.
Sorry for this long rambling post (my first) but I was determined to resolve the problems of the Lenovo implementation of Android 13.

LenovoTabletUser

Oct 21, 2023
Visit site
I've opened an account simply to contribute to this discussion. I have a Lenovo Tab M10 Plus and really disliked the new Android 13 taskbar, particularly the 3 navigation buttons squashed on the right - I'm "old school" and prefer navigation buttons. The best / only solution I've found is to first set the tablet to gesture navigation, then double tap and hold the grey area of the taskbar which will then minimise except on the main homepage.
Stop then if you simply want gesture navigation without the taskbar (except on the homepage) BUT if you also want the 3 navigation buttons, install from Google Play an app called "Bottom Navigation Bar" by MaraVilApps (other similar apps may do the job, this was simply the one that I tried). This puts the 3 (resizeable) buttons at the bottom in the middle - not squeezed up! This results in having both gesture AND 3 button navigation at the same time, simply use which you prefer or mix and match to circumstances.
Sorry for this long rambling post (my first) but I was determined to resolve the problems of the Lenovo implementation of Android 13.
Thank you for the suggestion, appreciated!

I was going to try it out, but stopped and uninstalled the app because it wants permission for full control of the device. I guess it would be the case with any similar app as it would need to be running over any other app.

I am going to still hold out hope that Lenovo will update the OS to add back in the previous functionality. It still seems absurd that they change this fundamental navigation functionality without any options to have it the way it was when I bought the tablet a few months ago.

Does anyone know, is there a way to have the three button navigation bar stay on the right or left side of the screen when in landscape mode? Perhaps using some developer mode hack?
I think that is all we really need as when in landscape mode it just takes up a significant amount real estate on the bottom of the screen cutting off content like basic video pause/play/seek when watching Youtube through the Brave browser.(I will not use the native Youtube app because ads). You can see from the screenshot, even on the system navigation screen, the bottom grey 3-button navigation covers the description of the setting itself. Ironic and dumb.

The "task bar" remains on the homescreen even with all app icons removed from it, as seen in attached screenshot. Not a big deal, but seems dumb.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231110-112335.png
    Screenshot_20231110-112335.png
    60.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20231110-112514.png
    Screenshot_20231110-112514.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20231110-112621.png
    Screenshot_20231110-112621.png
    433.8 KB · Views: 14

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You shouldn't have to double-tap it. If you're anywhere besides the homescreen, long-pressing should minimize the taskbar.

Atlassian

Oct 15, 2023
Visit site
I just got the latest update but unfortunately that awful taskbar is still there on my Tab M9.... it's really ruined my experience with the tablet in general. This needs to be addressed to restore functionality.

Reactions: mschafer

Daz

Nov 24, 2023
Visit site
I created an account to complain too. This is a terrible upgrade, especially for people with motor difficulties such as disabilities or due to age. I bought this tablet for my grandmother, and the fact that now the 3 buttons are so close to each other and also that they change places is really complicated to use, even more so that for some people the gestures are impossible or complicated to use, I saw In another forum a person who has problems using the tablet because he/she only has one arm and other disabilities so holding it and pressing buttons is difficult now (and gesture is impossible)! What are the accessibility options for if something as simple as not putting the three buttons close to each other and not changing their place according to the menu you are in creates problems for these people and the tablet becomes obsolete?! Companies don't think about disabled people or what???!!!

Reactions: Atlassian

Atlassian

Oct 15, 2023
Visit site
This is still awfully painful and has completely ruined my Tab M9 experience. I still don't understand how this is not fixed. Submitted feedback through proper channels...and crickets, go figure.

I'm hoping LineageOS is a possible alternative because this is just unacceptable.

Reactions: mschafer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali