Could it be dead pixel?

A

AC Question

So I just received a "new" phone, it's Mi 4c, then three days later I went back to the store to ask for a replacement after the previous unit had a dimming screen problem even with the brightness set to full and the mic didn't work too, the screen also didn't seem to be properly mounted leaving some noticeable gap between the display and the bezel

Now the replacement unit seems to be working just fine but I notice one weird white dot/pixel only visible when tilting the device or from certain angles, it becomes really bright when the screen is all white or any bright color, gets less visible on warmer colors and becomes rather unseen on darker colors and full black

But there are some things:

1.) This curious dot/pixel is basically the brighter color of the background color, unlike most dead pixels where it's either full black/white or a mismatched color, and is not visible when the screen is off (iirc some sources said that dead pixels could still be seen when the screen is off)

2.) As I mentioned earlier it's only visible on certain angles (e.g. when you're tilting it to the left, right, up or down) so it's barely noticeable when you look at the display head-on, is it normal for dead pixel to be like that?

3.) Continuation of point 2, I suspect that it's just the glass that is somehow defective but not pixel-related, is it possible? because, again, it's barely seen at all but becomes visible only when you look at an angle, I once heard that even flagship phones could have a display problem but some of them were either a dust stuck in there or a minuscule scratch beneath the display itself or something like that

Oh and by the way, I have looked up some forum threads in here about the same problem and most of them are old entries but I think still relevant, which lead me to write another one here to learn better and eventually find a solution

I hope you people are okay with yet another dead pixel issue though :p

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It sure sounds like a dead pixel -- they don't have to be just dark spots. I'm not sure if they'd let you exchange it, though -- manufacturers may have a dead pixel policy that defines how many dead pixels are acceptable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa