This problem is baffling me. Facts: I own a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 updated to latest firmware (V1.0.9.18_1.2.27). Usually get ISP download speeds of 100Mbps and upload speeds of 35Mbps - performed by Ookla. BUT, after recently purchasing a Kindle Fire HD for my father, when attached to the network (2.4 or 5Ghz band), the the download speed halts to an unbelievably abysmal 0.5 - 2Mbps!!! while the upload speeds remain the same. I have narrowed down the issue to the Kindle Fire HD because when I shut this thing off, my download speed goes back to its original after around 5 - 10 minutes. I have tested this over 10 times now at various times during the day with the same results. I consider myself fairly good at troubleshooting, although I make plenty of stupid mistakes. I'm looking for anyone who can explain what could possibly be going on that could cause this particular issue. If anyone requires more information, just list the questions and I will respond as soon as I can. Thanks!
    01-09-2018 08:28 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! You've already tried rebooting the router? Is there a QoS setting in the router that can be turned off?
    01-09-2018 10:43 AM
    Yes and yes. I tried something a little different this time and blocked the MAC address of the kindle thinking that would work similarly to shutting the device off. Guess I was wrong. It is only when I shutdown the kindle that the network download speed returns to normal.
    01-09-2018 11:33 AM
    Gee, I say sarcastically, that Jeff Bezos would slow down data to one of his devices. But I could be completely wrong. Don't have the tech expertise.
    01-09-2018 12:15 PM
    lol maybe! I'm starting to believe that my ISP might be the problem and that the kindle was my scapegoat with a little help from some confirmation bias. Lots of reports of down service have been made for the past few weeks, but, especially today. Maybe they are upgrading their tech. . .
    01-09-2018 01:15 PM
    I had this issue with my Note 10.1 and it was a combo of issues... First, Bluetooth. Try turning that off when connecting to the network. Does it work? Second, the channel. Try getting your network on a different channel. Third, the router. My issue was also on a Netgear. I switched to a different router and voilá, no more issue even with BT on. Someone also suggested updating the router firmware but I had already changed it by then.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-09-2018 01:18 PM
    Okay, will do. Thank you guys for all of your answers!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-10-2018 07:17 AM
    Let us know if that helped!
    01-10-2018 01:38 PM