No more separate notification tones in Oreo?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Galaxy S8. With the recent operating system update, it removed all of my personalized text notification tones. They are now all the same. I cannot figure out how to change them back. Anyone have a clue?

Axle Grease

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
Unfortunately, it seems that Google has removed the ability to assign contact-specific notification tones from Android 8.0 (Oreo), so it isn’t possible at the moment. Of course, it’s possible that they’ll add this feature back in at some point, but nobody here is able to predict when (or even if) that will happen.

Where did you get this information, and was anyone curious enough to ask ****WHY*** did google remove that very basic function from 8.0?

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Where did you get this information, and was anyone curious enough to ask ****WHY*** did google remove that very basic function from 8.0?

I've read a number of reports of similar things happening on different phones from different OEMs, all of which had one thing in common - they'd recently been updated to (or released with) Oreo.

It doesn't bother me enough to ask Google, and even if it did, I don't know why they'd feel compelled to answer me.

So I (and a number of forum members) offered some explanation as well as some potential workarounds.

TruantGamer

Apr 23, 2018
Visit site
I've read a number of reports of similar things happening on different phones from different OEMs, all of which had one thing in common - they'd recently been updated to (or released with) Oreo.

It doesn't bother me enough to ask Google, and even if it did, I don't know why they'd feel compelled to answer me.

So I (and a number of forum members) offered some explanation as well as some potential workarounds.

I would love to ask google. I would love to ask them a lot about this and other broken features in Oreo. Problem is they send you to individual manufacturer help sites that already won't answer to this. Is there a google contact that actually responds to questions?

Deieri

May 24, 2018
Visit site
Re: No moree separate notification tones in Oreo?

This is the stupidest update...why would they remove the option to select ringtones. All of my main contacts had their blown so I knew who was messaging. This is ridiculous.

amazondrone

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: No moree separate notification tones in Oreo?

So, I downloaded Textra and going through that app, I can assign individual text notifications for each contact...BUT...when I try to text from my Textra app, I'm missing some contacts when I try to initiate a text convo. Also, I can't find a way to start FROM the app to send an attachment. I have to go to whatever I'm sharing and then hit "share" and then the textra icon...but then the person I want to sent it to isn't listed! And that person is in my contacts and has been for 18 years since he's my son. Haven't had a lot of luck finding textra help...they don't even have a troubleshooting menu. Help?

Custnam

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I updated my Galaxy S8 before traveling internationally last week, per the directions on the Sprint site. Previously, I had the field and ability to set individual text notifications per contact, so I would know from whom I was receiving texts. Now, that feature no longer exists, and it's extremely frustrating. Most people are talking about it missing on the S9, but I don't think it's an S9 issue; I think it's an Oreo update issue.

I sent a tweet and a direct message to Sprint and @SamsungSupport and this is what I received. Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to add the screen shot to this thread:

"Hi, Jersey. Thanks for reaching out. I understand that this feature is important for you, however, this is one of the changes occurred after the updates. Nevertheless, we value your feedback regarding this feature, you may use this link to voice out your input: https://t.co/BoCvDkfBlv. If you have other questions, feel free to ask. ^Justine"

Not helpful, but I filled one out. Has anyone gotten confirmation that they will roll out a fix for this? If not, I'll be going to a third party text app. I'll miss the edge light, but the sound is much more helpful.

Thanks for the link. I sent an email as well asking for this feature back.

jh20001

Trusted Member
Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just sent an email in as well. I have relied on this option for years, going back to my use of Windows Phones (before I realized that was a waste of time and switched over). I have no interest in switching apps as Samsung's messaging app is the only one I truly liked interface/option-wise. It might be time to dig in the closet and break out the ol' pitchfork and torch. :)

Jun 10, 2018
Visit site
I followed the link and emailed Samsung about wanting the individual text tones. Here is what I got back:

Thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support.

We understand the disappointment you have expressed about the missing of option to set individual message tones for contacts after recent software update. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience being caused with the individual text notification option becoming unavailable after the recent update. We realize the importance of this feature to you and feel handy features like this not to be removed as they allow the user to identify the sender without having to access the phone.

As per the model number (SM-G960UZKAVZW) you've shared, I see that you're referring to Galaxy S9 (Verizon).

Every smart phone comes with a certain operating system (OS). Samsung galaxy S9 features Android as the OS. Samsung is the manufacturer of the phone but OS (Android) is from Google. This operating system is also used by many other manufacturers like Samsung. The feature to assign custom notifications for text message for individual contacts is no longer available in Oreo version of Android itself. Therefore, any phone including Samsung with Android Oreo 8.0 version doesn’t have this feature. Individual contacts can no longer have unique Message notifications now. We're receiving lot of requests from our customers to add this feature in future update.

Samsung is constantly improving and updating our operating systems, and with every improvement there is always a chance an older feature may be changed or removed. We value your input about your favorite features on our devices. We will take this as a valuable feedback.

We are not sure if/when this option will be reverted on the phone due to the fact that this might lead to inaccurate information and confusion.

We advise you to keep updating the software on your phone. Hopefully you might be getting all the features that you are expecting in the updates which will be released in the future.

If you have any other questions that needs to be addressed, now or in the future, we are always happy to help.

If you wish to chat, email or call us for further assistance, please go to the “Contact Us” option available on the right hand side of the E-mail.

Thank you for choosing Samsung products.

samsungchallenged

Jun 12, 2018
Visit site
I have been referred to this thread from another one. My actual complaint and the downgrade I found in new Samsung phones is in per text notification tone in conversation panel.

I think this was a very handy feature to have while one is texting with a person to know when their next text is received instead of having eyes fixed on the screen and keep checking to see if the next text has arrived. And if the text is missed before the screen goes black, you can never know if you had it or not until you turn on the phone again and go to that conversation.

I have been looking for an app to fix this issue and add the feature to the default Samsung message rather than adding another SMS app that works on its own. I tried textra and Android message apps, but I found them working on their own and if you uninstall them you lose all your chat history, so I would like to find an app that just simply adds a per text notification tone to each text received while still in conversation panel.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I have been looking for an app to fix this issue and add the feature to the default Samsung message rather than adding another SMS app that works on its own.

Without some skill, this will be difficult. You'll need to root your device, decompile the app, add the feature in and then replace it on the device (which is why you'll need to root the device).

MichaelAllred

Jun 13, 2018
Visit site
Not happy with the removal of the message tones! 😤 The specific tones tell me who's texting me without having to pick up my phone. Also not very comfortable with using a third party app for messages 😶

I COMPLETELY AGREE. That was very useful option to have for the same reasons you stated. I find this new update was more cosmetic than anything, changing things around and having to dig and find them again but the removal of assigning a specific tone for text messages that told you who it was without having to look is inexcusable. You can still have assigned ringtones for incoming calls but the text tone is now just the one sound. Makes no damn sense.
I also noticed that now when watching youtube my phone is now constantly buffering.

anon(9246304)

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
My S7 just upgraded to echo this morning and I have spent most of the day messing with my phone... I AM able to assign contact specific ringtones to my contacts it's few extra steps .. contacts edit ringtone add then it ask's about where they are getting the tone I just guessed sound picker and it made me pick the tone again from a list but it seems to work as it should idk if this will help you with S8's maybe

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Without some skill, this will be difficult. You'll need to root your device, decompile the app, add the feature in and then replace it on the device (which is why you'll need to root the device).
:cool: I agree with..Hallux here : This sound like -android question-
if exist or not an app like that..PS come forward 'n stay Tuned!

Last edited:

Marilyn126

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I just got the new Samsung 9+, and I am BEYOND FURIOUS with this ridiculous update! I can no longer have an individual notification sound for my text messages, and and two separate email accounts(one for work, the other personal). It's just ONE notification for ALL of my apps, so when I get a new text, or email, I have to click on each app to find out what I received. (I also no longer have any number saying I have 2 texts, 3 emails, etc.) I called Samsung, and the woman told me it wasn't Samsung, it was all Android phones! WHAT THE HECK??? WHY in the world would Android DO THIS??? I have Textra...and I can change the appearance of my texts, but NOT the notification tone!

I TRULY hope Android READS all of these complaints from their users!! GIVE US OUR PERSONALIZATION OPTIONS BACK!!!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
@Marilyn126, did you happen to read the post linked by another member right above yours? Samsung has provided a solution to this complaint in its messaging app.

As for email, this may be a Samsung thing if you're using the Samsung email client. I'm using a Pixel 2 XL with 5 email accounts and have 3 different notification sounds (I could have 5 though).

Jazzy Lemondrop

Jun 24, 2018
Visit site
I too have the same issue and it's very annoying because it helped me know which text messages are most important to make time and answer when received at work. I have gotten SPAM messages and opened them only to find I could have avoided them until I got time to delete/block them and move on.

I also had my family members assigned separate tones as well. I do not like this change and have downloaded the Android App mentioned here. I hope my post helps whatever company did this and they realize they have another unsatisfied customer in their service and they correct this. I will be definitely getting away from using their app or apps and use others that serve my needs.

I also do not like the fact they moved the smiley, microphone, paste, cog wheel etc... over all the keys instead of below like before as the keys were so much more convenient and hope they change this back as well. Bottom line I loved the old keyboard but that's another post elsewhere.

Last edited:

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I just got the new Samsung 9+, and I am BEYOND FURIOUS with this ridiculous update! I can no longer have an individual notification sound for my text messages, and and two separate email accounts(one for work, the other personal). It's just ONE notification for ALL of my apps, so when I get a new text, or email, I have to click on each app to find out what I received. (I also no longer have any number saying I have 2 texts, 3 emails, etc.)

I'm curious, cause I haven't installed Oreo yet, but do you have your email accts in one folder on your home screen?