How can i get rid of spy app on my phone that I cant find.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Someone has hacked into my phone and can listen to the calls that I make and messages that I send and receive and can view my phone activities. I cannot locate any spy app on my phone but am aware of the info leak. What action do I need to take get rid of it ? do i need to change my number ?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's extremely hard to hack into Android and get that kind of info. What makes you think that info is being spied on in the first place? Often times it's simply a case of a user not understanding how Android functions, not actual hacking.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Or the "hacker" using social engineering to make you think they hacked into your phone. "I know where you were yesterday afternoon." Yeah, you posted it all over Facebook.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just explain an answer if they say they are hacked why question it??
Because we get this sort of thing all the time here. Another recent example was someone found an app with the name "informant" in it and immediately assumed it was law enforcement hacked into their phone. A simple Google search later, turns out it was an OEM app for a widget, and nothing to do with spying or hacking.

People like to explore things and find stuff that looks incriminating on their phones. Or they notice something as innocent as a glitch and think it's a hacker. Or they start getting spammed with advertising from an app and think it's Android itself doing it. As I said in my first reply, it's hard to hack into an Android phone, so rarely should that be the first assumption when something doesn't seem right.

That's why I, and the other ambassadors, trusted members, and long time members, ask these sorts of follow-up questions. We need more info to go on so that we aren't giving bad advise. It's like having the check engine light on in your car, then taking it for an oil change thinking that is the problem. Us assuming the member is correct in their assumption would be like the mechanic doing the oil change and nothing more. You'd get your car back with the check engine light still on and get mad at the mechanic because it didn't turn the light off, even though you only wanted an oil change and didn't ask him to investigate the actual problem. Good mechanics will try to find the root of the problem, which includes finding out more info about the symptoms. We are no different.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the OP is giving pretty specific details on whats being "spied" on.

How is this known?

If someone is really spying on your phone, they wouldn't be telling you about it - kind of defeats the purpose of "spying".

If it's something that is suddenly popping up on screen telling you about it, the first culprit to look for is a recently installed "free" app that is really full of adware - trying to scare you into paying for something you don't really need. A very common tactic. Unfortunately, the most probable suspects are usually free anti-virus or memory fixing/clearing apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress