Recent screens / apps button not working on new phone setup- Edit, never mind, doing it manually

PaulLeigh

Mar 14, 2020
Visit site
Hi all, first post, thanks for the add. I'm setting up a new phone from my old phone and the recent apps or screens button isn't working, nothing happens when it is pressed except that it flashes grey around it momentarily, as it does when it is is working normally.

I've tried:
Safe mode- same, doesn't work
Setup from different sources; i.e. direct from old phone, or from Google account, same, doesn't work
Disabling google voice control, and setting up without allowing it during the setup process, a suggestion I found online, same, doesn't work
Factory reset- *it does work* immediately after a factory reset
Factory reset with and without android system updates, doesn't make a difference after the rest of the setup, same, doesn't work

Both new and old phones are Vodafone VFD820 Smart X9 running Android 8. The old one has been reliable and is fully working but has a broken screen hence the new phone. I'd like to avoid having to do a bit by bit setup if possible, if anyone has any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I reckoned if this got to 75 views with no replies it was going to be one of those mysterious bugs that there isn't an answer for, so since then I've been doing the setup manually. So far so good, none of the updates or apps are causing the problem. Thanks for looking, anyway.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Don't be so quick to give up -- the number of views aren't what matters, but rather how long your post has been up that's a better indicator if someone will respond.:)

If the problem is happening in Safe Mode, then it's probably an issue with the firmware or hardware. Since you just got the phone, your best bet is to bring it back to Vodafone and ask for a replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress