Strange happening

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I took my project fi sim out of my A7, popped in my Verizon sim, followed instructions on the web for setting up the device including new APN settings. I was able to make and receive calls without issue. But texts were another problem. I used both Textra and the stock texting app and got the same results. I put in a number and texted "hi" . To my surprise, I received a text back from a number that wasn't even remotely close to the number I put in. I just said wrong number. This happened a few times so I gave up. What would cause this to happen?

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
If you're referring to the old Apn settings, no because you just enter the new settings under a new heading for verizon. When your verizon sim is in, you simply click on the Verizon setting. When you have your fi sim in, you click on T-mobile.

Soreloser

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been involved with Project Fi, but I've wondered if it is similar to Google Voice. When I dial a number in Google Voice, it shows on the screen as I enter the numbers correctly but when I press send, it shows a random number in the box that says Dialing XXX-XXX-XXXX. Something completely different than what I dialed. I haven't done any text messages but I would imagine it does the same thing. The curious thing is that no matter what number it says it is dialing, the person who answers is at the number that I entered in at the beginning.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I haven't been involved with Project Fi, but I've wondered if it is similar to Google Voice. When I dial a number in Google Voice, it shows on the screen as I enter the numbers correctly but when I press send, it shows a random number in the box that says Dialing XXX-XXX-XXXX. Something completely different than what I dialed. I haven't done any text messages but I would imagine it does the same thing. The curious thing is that no matter what number it says it is dialing, the person who answers is at the number that I entered in at the beginning.

Right, but I've got my Verizon sim card in the A7. Not the fi sim so that shouldn't be happening.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Verizon still primarily use CDMA radio for calls and text. The CDMA part only works if the device is certified by Verizon. So, you are basically only using LTE radio. Verizon does support some fashion of VoLTE and SMS over LTE but does not work reliably without using their Messaging app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa