[How-to][NEW VERSION] Run Nookie Froyo off SD card

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Updated 2/8 new version - 0.6.7! SD card mount fixed etc..

Installing Nookie Froyo custom Android 2.2 ROM to boot off of an SD card:

fYLOi6X

The first thing you're going to need is a micro-SD card:

*at least 2GB in size

*at least 4GB is recommended, in order to have several GB's of storage on the SD Card partition (what Android reads as actual SD card storage)

*Class 6 or 10 is preferred

*Class 4 may be fine, 2 will likely be slow

Be aware that some companies claim to be offering a higher-class card than they really are (as there's no independent third-party that monitors the Class specification). So researching the brand you're considering is recommended.

You'll also need an SD card reader (check out these SD Readers at the Android Central Store).

If you have an Android phone, you may also be able to use it by placing the SD in your phone, selecting Mount as USB Drive on your phone, and proceeding from there.

First, download the latest version of Nookie

Unzip the .gz file (Winrar, 7zip, etc. Should work for that) so that you have an .img file that you're working with.

If you're on a PC, you're going to want to get a program called Win32DiskImager.

If you're on a Mac or Linux machine, you'll want dd.

Connect the SD card to your computer.

For PC Users:

open Win32DiskImager, select (using the button with the dots) the image file for Nookie that you downloaded, then select the drive of your SD Card (be very careful you're choosing your SD Card drive and not another!), then choose Write Image. *After a few minutes, you're all done!

For Mac Users (instructions credit nookdevs.com)

Open a terminal window.

Find which drive the sd card is mapped to: type in the terminal this:
diskutil list

Be very careful to identify the SD card and not your hard disk. Be VERY careful.

Now unmount that drive typing this:

diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk#

(My computer is was disk2 replace # with your number.)

The computer should say:*Unmount of all volumes on disk was successful
dd if=NameOfNookieFroYoImage of=/dev/disk# bs=1m

Again, replace # with the number of your card. Everything needed should copy right over to the card.

For Linux Users (instructions credit nookdevs.com):

Bring up a terminal

Navigate to the directory you unzipped the microSD card image to

If you are running in Linux, Ensure your microSD card is unmounted (run as root)

# umount /dev/

where is your sdcard (for example /dev/sdc or /dev/mmcblk0, not the mount point of the sdcard or an existing partition like sdc1 or mmcblk0p1) Don't just copy the term you need to know the name of the sdcard's device. Please be sure you're writing to your sd card and not to your hard disk.*This is dangerous.

write the image to your microSD card. (run as root)

WARNING: This will completely erase your microSD card. Be sure to back it up!
# dd if=NameOfNookieFroYoImage.img of=/dev/ bs=1M

Note that you need to use the name of the img file you downloaded...

RUNNING NOOKIE:

Simply insert your Nookie Froyo SD card into your nook and power on. As long as your SD card is in your NOOKcolor when you power it on or reboot, it will boot into Nookie Froyo. Everything that would normally be on an Android phone or tablet's internal memory (plus what would normally be on an SD card) is all going to be on your SD (this is why we recommended a card of 4GB or more).

One of the first things you'll notice is that there aren't any Google apps installed. You'll need to do this yourself (I would have loved to include them, but there are legalities, yadda yadda...).

ADB Installation of Google Apps:

1. You'll need to have adb (Android Debug Bridge) installed on your computer. This link explains in relatively easy terms how to get this going . . .

Basically, you'll want to install the Android SDK and become familiar with the location of the directory it was installed in.

If you want to make it easy, move the 'Tools' directory (inside the SDK directory) onto c:/ . . . (or whatever your main hard drive's letter is) then, to get there, you'll simply type cd c:/tools

2. Having installed the SDK for adb access to your nook, now download the google apps files, and unzip the file so that it extracts the folder called 'system' into the 'Tools' directory in the SDK folder you downloaded.

3. Now you'll open a command prompt in Windows (start menu>run>type 'cmd') and navigate to the correct folder (cd [folder directory's path]). On Mac, this would be done via Terminal.

4. Now, with your NOOKcolor connected to your computer's USB port, type the following (of course, hit enter after each line):

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /system
adb push [here, enter the path to your SDK tools folder]\system system/
adb reboot

5. Now your NC will reboot. When it boots, you'll have Market, Gmail, Google Maps, and many more Google apps.

* If you're getting a "device not found" error when running adb, first, reboot your Nook and your computer and see if it changes.

If that fails, download and unzip this file, open install.exe, and follow the on-screen prompts (this will install drivers so your computer will recognize the nook).

If that doesn't work, try opening the Super User app on your nook and then issuing the commands.

If that still doesn't work, refer to the steps in this thread, repeating if necessary.

One of the first things to do:

Before you start, one of the most important things to remember with the current version of nookie is to turn the screen off/on (do this each time you boot your nook). There's some serious touchscreen lag by default, and this is the very simple solution to make it go away. Nothing fancy, just put the screen to sleep for a sec, and when you turn it back on, it'll be plenty responsive.

A second really big thing you can do to boost your nookie froyo performance is to wipe the stock ROM's cache. Full instructions in the stickied nookie tips thread (you'll need to root stock ROM and flash clockwork recovery to do this).

* If you want to support nookie froyo, you can donate to the developer behind nookie froyo.

Now that you're started, check out our sticked "Tips for Nookie Froyo" thread!

Last edited:

michael.ahdett

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Excellent! Thanks! We're thinking about trying this on one of the demo units that we only keep in the break room. Thanks for the great how-to post!

chaloney

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
probably a stupid question. how doors one determine what class one's sd card is? we have a few of then from old phones lying around unused.

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
probably a stupid question. how doors one determine what class one's sd card is? we have a few of then from old phones lying around unused.

Sometimes it'll be labelled on the card. The most common classes are 2, 4, 6, and sometimes 10. If it isn't labelled, try to look up the brand online and find one that matches yours.

... Or you could just try it and see if you can determine its write speed (the class # SUPPOSEDLY corresponds to write speed in MB/s).

Kaizmuth

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Curious as to why the Google Market can't be placed in the ROM itself. Side loading apps is a pain when Nooter has it built in and I can directly load apps that way.

Anyone else notice that it's very slow running from the SDCard? I'm running a 16gb class 10 card and there's serious lag opening anything.

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Curious as to why the Google Market can't be placed in the ROM itself. Side loading apps is a pain when Nooter has it built in and I can directly load apps that way.

Anyone else notice that it's very slow running from the SDCard? I'm running a 16gb class 10 card and there's serious lag opening anything.

The developer left google apps out for copyright reasons (the same reason cyanogen ROMs don't include google apps). I guess the makers of auto-nooter like livin' on the edge :p

I'm running on a class 6 and it runs great in my opinion. Did you turn the screen off/on each time after booting + disabling haptic feedback? That fixes the touchscreen lag that many of us have mistakenly associated with SD card lag. I can't imagine a class 10 being too slow . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: Blaggah#AC

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I could not get the AC-SWM working for me. Won't recognize my NC when trying to install the apps.

I'll have to go the adb method.

Did you try the file listed in the post that auto-installs the necessary drivers? If so, sometimes just restarting your nook and your computer will do the trick.

You'll probably get the same error with adb because the problem is missing drivers for the nook, which adb won't recognize any more than the wonder machine (the wonder machine is a lite version of adb, minus the command lines on the user level). If you try the auto-install in the post and it still doesn't see your nook, try the instructions on this page (more complicated, but, if all else fails, should enable both adb and the wonder machine).

Reactions: 2andFro

2andFro

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Did you try the file listed in the post that auto-installs the necessary drivers? If so, sometimes just restarting your nook and your computer will do the trick.

You'll probably get the same error with adb because the problem is missing drivers for the nook, which adb won't recognize any more than the wonder machine (the wonder machine is a lite version of adb, minus the command lines on the user level). If you try the auto-install in the post and it still doesn't see your nook, try the instructions on this page (more complicated, but, if all else fails, should enable both adb and the wonder machine).

Thanks. I'll give that a try when I get a chance.

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
the g-mail and market app wont work is there anyway to fix this

Did you use the wonder machine or adb?

If you used the wonder machine, did you install all of the apks from system/app? Some could have dependencies on others, so it's probably necessary to install all of them (and a reboot after that would be a good idea too) . . .

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Did you use the wonder machine or adb?

If you used the wonder machine, did you install all of the apks from system/app? Some could have dependencies on others, so it's probably necessary to install all of them (and a reboot after that would be a good idea too) . . .

i used wonder machine and installed some going to install the rest and see if that works thanks.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I just finished installing most of the apps from the system/app folder(the rest wouldn't install because they didn't have certificate) and then i rebooted the nook color and when i turned it back on i figured it would be good to go through the quick setup but it is impossible to click on the android (which is weird because it acknowledges my touch by turning white

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I just finished installing most of the apps from the system/app folder(the rest wouldn't install because they didn't have certificate) and then i rebooted the nook color and when i turned it back on i figured it would be good to go through the quick setup but it is impossible to click on the android (which is weird because it acknowledges my touch by turning white

I'll look into this. It could be that you need to do it via adb because of a couple extras files in the other system folders of google apps. If it works after a reboot, please post.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'll look into this. It could be that you need to do it via adb because of a couple extras files in the other system folders of google apps. If it works after a reboot, please post.
well i rebooted it and this time did not do the quicksetup tried to open market app and just like previous the screen flashes white and goes back to the previous screen

Last edited:

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
well i rebooted it and this time did not do the quicksetup tried to open market app and just like previous the screen flashes white and goes back to the previous screen

Yeah, I updated OP. Turns out there are files that don't get pushed (in this case) with the Wonder Machine. adb it is!

For you, you should be fine doing the adb method over your current installation, but if for some reason that didn't work, just re-burn the SD image again (new updated image posted too btw).

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I updated OP. Turns out there are files that don't get pushed (in this case) with the Wonder Machine. adb it is!

For you, you should be fine doing the adb method over your current installation, but if for some reason that didn't work, just re-burn the SD image again (new updated image posted too btw).
now just to figure out how to use adb