Glad you did it? Any significant reason to wait?

markewallace

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Like many, I'm thinking that this'll be my year to break down and get a tablet. I'm a big Android OS fan (owner of both a DInc and Droid Pro), so it seems natural that I'd just get an Android-based tablet. Obviously, with all of the recent talk about Android on the Nook Color, this is an option that I should consider.

My three questions:

1) How big of a deal is it for me to look around for a 3G Nook Color? Or, should WiFi-only be okay? Subquestion : If I really need to, is there a way for me to tie (tether?) a Wi-Fi Nook Color to my DInc or Droid Pro?

2) Feature-wise, what does a Froyo-d Nook Color lack in comparison to the Tab and forthcoming Xoom? Anything important?

3) For those of you who have put Froyo on your Nook Color, has there been any point where you either wish you hadn't done this and instead just waited for a "real" Android tablet?

I'm interested in doing this, but (as you can tell) I really don't want to go this route and then wish I hadn't. Interested in any/all perspective that y'all can give.

- Mark

xnewethicx

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
1) B&N just put out a notification that their 3G stuff wasn't selling so well, in fact, they're discontinuing the original Nook 3G, and the Color Nook after teardown doesn't have a 3G chip in it. Honestly, WiFi should be fine, and with the Incredible and the Pro having Infrastructure WiFi, you should have no problem tethering. I tether to my Droid X in a pinch ;)

2) Froyo is working pretty well on the Nook, still a few little bugs to work out, but then again, when AREN'T there bugs when working in a hacked community? If you can handle dealing with regular updates, workarounds and patches, the biggest bonus in going with the Nook is the $$$ you save. It's going to take some work, not a horrible ammount, but if you're not willing to keep up with the updates and fiddle with the work arounds, you'd probably be better off going with a device intended for that use (Xoom, Tab).

3) Honestly, with the little glitches and bugs in Nookie at the moment, I haven't decided to make the jump, I'm very happy with my Nook running 2.1 overclocked to 1.1Ghz. It does everything I want it to, minus the Flash capability, and once a more stable Nookie is available, I"ll take a look at it. But with the videos of Honeycomb emerging in the last couple days, Nookie may not even BE my next step :)

I root my phones, I've modded my Wii, I"ve rooted my Nook. Lots of neat extra functions on all, but definitely have to keep on top of them for updates and such... not only are you dealing with sometimes finicky hardware, you're also skirting around cranky providers who don't WANT you to have all that glorious access. I don't think you'll be sorry you hooked up a Nook, but at $249 as opposed to the alternative price, it's definitely a great little gadget to have. It all boils down to what you're going to want it to do, and how much you're willing to tweak it to get there :)

DeathsArrow

May 16, 2010
Visit site
1) How big of a deal is it for me to look around for a 3G Nook Color? Or, should WiFi-only be okay? Subquestion : If I really need to, is there a way for me to tie (tether?) a Wi-Fi Nook Color to my DInc or Droid Pro?

Already answered but there's no 3G Nook Color and I don't know if there ever will be. Tethering should work fine with either of the devices you mentioned.

2) Feature-wise, what does a Froyo-d Nook Color lack in comparison to the Tab and forthcoming Xoom? Anything important?

No GPS. No front facing camera. The processor is underpowered compared to the Xoom. The Xoom also has a bigger screen.

None of those items bother me.

3) For those of you who have put Froyo on your Nook Color, has there been any point where you either wish you hadn't done this and instead just waited for a "real" Android tablet?

I've been holding out on the current Froyo build. There are issues with audio and video playback. I expect they'll be fixed shortly.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
If I had it to do again I might look at the Dell 7 streak. At $450 off contract it is a bit pricey, but the Tegra 2, Froyo, 4g, and front and rear cameras sure are attractive. Also, having dedicate controls (back, menu, etc.) is pretty nice

Last edited:

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the NC as a temporary tablet until I decide on the one I want.. saved me from wanting an iPad..

Me too. Also, it is helping me find out if I really want/need a tablet at all. The jury is still out on that one. Lots of compromises.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member