Don't Know Where to Look -

melt2sk8

May 9, 2011
Visit site
My apologies for starting another clueless noob thread - I've been looking around the forums for about a week and haven't been able to find what I'm looking for.

Can someone link for me or explain to me how/why an Android tablet is different from an Android phone? (Aside from the obvious "you can call someone on a phone" answer).

I'm curious to know if getting marketplace on your Android phone is half as hard as getting on the NC has been - ? Does the Andriod marketplace automatically "recognize" phones when you log into it for the first time?

How did you set up your phone to get apps? When you plug your phone into your computer to sideload apps, what is your phone called? (Drive E: removable device? Android device?)

Just trying to wrap my mind around some of these concepts. Will happily trade my figure skating experience for some Nookiedroid info.

xnewethicx

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
When you purchase an Android phone from a provider, the market is pre-installed. You shouldn't have to do anything with it. You sign into your phone, it asks for your google account info, and you're off to the races. The market will also show you apps based on your phone's footprint, so only apps designed to work for that phone should show up (kind of why we had to fudge a bit to get Netflix to work on the Nook at first). If you root a phone and want to put a custom rom on it, most flashable roms also have a flashable gapps (Google Apps) zip file that goes along with it, which will install things like Market, Gmail, etc. Other than the obvious hardware differences that you've noted, there's not much difference between a tablet and a phone, in fact, some of the tablet phones (tones?) like the Dell Streak are kind of an in-between version. The only real issues you'll find between the two as far as software goes would be whether or not the software allows for scaling to the size of the tablet screen... for games like Drop 7 and Quadit, on my Nook, they just show up as small sections of the screen, whereas games like Angry Birds scale to the full size of the screen. The only other issues I would see would be trying to use a camera based app on a device that doesn't have a camera... that could cause issues.

Reactions: melt2sk8

EVO-lutionary

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have both, and HTC Evo and a Nook Color running CM7. They are virtually identical. Aside from the obvious lack of camera/mic/gps/celluar data there is really no difference other than size of screen. If you like your nook, you will LOVE your phone. Especially since it's already designed to run full on Android(as opposed to the nook which had to be hacked into basically). Your phone will "just work".

melt2sk8

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I have both, and HTC Evo and a Nook Color running CM7. They are virtually identical. Aside from the obvious lack of camera/mic/gps/celluar data there is really no difference other than size of screen. If you like your nook, you will LOVE your phone. Especially since it's already designed to run full on Android(as opposed to the nook which had to be hacked into basically). Your phone will "just work".

*laughs* Yeah, I'm slowly realizing that! :D

No phone for me. I like being "unreachable" by those I'd rather avoid anyway.

Thanks for the info. I'm learning more and more everyday and completely amazed that people can actually understand this stuff! :confused:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699