Samsung adaptive fast charger vs Anker I/C. Will too many amps hurt my battery.

Quick Cal

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site
I just bought a used Samsung note 5. I need a car charger and possibly a home charger.

I have my old note 3 charger rated at 5v/2.0 a. I could stick with it but then I wouldn't get the adaptive fast charge.

Samsung does not list the specs on their site for the adaptive charger other than 5v/2.0 a,,, or faster,,,lol. But I've seen pics of the charger and it says also 9v/1.67 a. Assuming that it's not a fake.

Anker has their I/C system. It charges at 5v/2.4 a per side. Would the 2.4 a be too much for my battery to handle.

Is Anker's I/C the same as Samsung's adaptive charging?

What is a faster charge. More amps or volts. I'm confused,,,lol.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If you just want to cut to the chase, don't worry about it and get the highest rated chargers you can, for future proofing and greater cross device compatibility. If you want to know why, I'll explain.

Would the 2.4 a be too much for my battery to handle.

In a word, no.

The amount of current used is determined by the phone. If your phone is designed for a max of 2A, it'll pull 2A regardless of if it's a 2A charger or 20A (hypothetically speaking, as that type of charger doesn't exist).

Look at it this way, the typical U.S. Outlet is on a 15A circuit breaker. That's roughly 1,500W of power available at full load. A 5V/2A charger would be a max of 10W. It is not having the full 1,500W of power being force fed into it. It only draws what it needs. The phone is no different.

Now if you went with a slower charger only capable of something like 1A, then the phone will only be able to pull 1A from it and charge slower (if not actually lose charge if you are actively using it).

What is a faster charge. More amps or volts. I'm confused,,,lol.

Both, but that doesn't necessarily apply to phones and devices with built in charging circuitry. Yes, higher amps would charge faster, but they are typically shipped with chargers that max this out. As I said above, having a higher amperage charger wouldn't mean a faster charge in our specific situation (stand alone battery chargers are a different story).

Higher voltage can also increase charging speeds, so long as the entire system is designed for it. Quick Charge, adaptive chargers, etc will not automatically apply a higher voltage to the phone if the phone isn't compatible because that would damage it and create a fire risk. What happens is the two "talk" to each other to determine if they are each compatible. If so, then the phone will switch to fast charging. If not, the charger will keep to regular 5V charging.

What matters isn't so much voltage or current per se, but wattage. The higher the wattage, the faster the charge. Wattage is voltage x current. So a 5V/2A charger can output 10W of power max. A 9V/2A capable charger would put out 18W max. The phone and charger will work to determine the best way to charge, so you don't have to worry about charging too fast or over charging.

Quick Cal

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for all that,,,lol.

I went with the Anker top of the line for future proofing.

Plugged it in and now the phone says "fast charging". :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress