Wifi without SIM?

Chris F4

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Can someone please help me? I need complete, clear, step-by-step instructions on how to get cell phone access without a SIM card. I know it's possible, but none of the how-to's I've read or watched give enough detail for me to understand. I'm old and fairly clueless about this stuff in general (I bought it from Amazon and didn't know I had to buy a SIM with it!) and this is my first cell phone, a Blu Studio 5.5s. I also want a cheap plan and would like to know what folks are using. Unfortunately I'm outside Republic's area, Ting is CDMA, and apparently the phone doesn't work with Freedom Pop. :confused:

Jim_Shu

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi Chris. Let's attack this one step at a time.

First avoid Freedom Pop with every fiber of your being. They have a long list of complaints filed against them. They take money from people for phones they never send. Or they take your money and send you a phone that does not work and then when you try and contact them you get no response. If you happen to get a working phone by some miracle then they overcharge you or charge you for services you did not use. In particular many older people like yourself have been bilked out of money for products or services they never received. Have a friend or family member who is more tech proficient do a Google search for "Freedom Pop Complaints" and you will see for yourself/ Once they get ahold of your credit card, which they require to set up your account they will continue to charge you incredible fees for things you never received or used. Please, for your own sake look elsewhere because you will end up spending more money than if you go with a known company.
Being that your phone is CDMA it pretty much limits your choices. Verizon and Sprint are the two that spring to mind. Walmart also has a Straight-Tlk plan that works with CDMA phones and carriers. If you have one in your area you can take it into the store and they will set everything up for you. There is a cost for the activation kit and you will also have to put up your first month's payment of $45. I know that can be a lot, but believe me it is far, far less than you will end up paying to Freedom Pop for service you will never receive. There may be others but you may have to have that friend do a little online research for you in this area as well.

Now, on to the wi-fi without a sim.

Before you get started you are going to need to know the name of the wireless network you want to connect to and the password for your wireless router/gateway device. This information can usually be found right on the router/gateway itself (Note: the password may be called an SSID.) If it is not on the device you will have to make a call to the company where you get your wireless service and ask them for this information. Just to be safe write it down for now, Once you have that information then you can proceed as follows:

1) Plug in your phone to be sure that you have enough power.

2) Turn your phone on and wait for the first screen that says BLU or whatever on it to finish loading.

3) You should now be at what is called your Lock Screen. Gently swipe your finger tip up from the bottom toward the middle of the screen (or if you have set up a password or pin enter that)

4) You should now be at what is called your Home Screen (the one with all of the icons for the stuff that is installed on your phone).

5) Go to the top of the screen and gently swipe your fingertip down from the top of the screen towards the middle. This should bring down a Quick Setting menu. Look for the words wi-fi and the symbol that almost like a funnel.

6) Lightly touch this and something should pop up with a list of the wi-fi networks available to you. Pick the one with the name that matches the network name you got from your router/gateway device or wireless service provider. Enter the password provided (remember it might say SSID instead of password.

7) If everything went smoothly up to this point you should be connected to your wireless network in under a minute.

I hope this helps you out and works for you as it did me. By doing this I was able to use my phone over wi-fi for about two weeks until I got the sim card (my phone is a GSM).

I will try and keep tabs on this discussion and see how it goes for you.