Can You Tether on the Prevail?

jesigler

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,
brianstash mentioned in a previous post that he can tether up to 1mbps on his Prevail. I called Boost to ask if I could tether and they had no idea what I was talking about. Just to be 100% clear: I want to connect my computer to my Prevail and use Boost's sweet unlimited wifi as a modem to surf the web on my computer.
Can it be done? If so, how? I was a previous iPhone user, and AT&T charged extra for tethering capabilities. Is it extra on Boost?
Help?
Thanks!
Jenni

jesigler

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Boost doesn't offer a tether plan like AT&T.

Is it possible to thether anyway? YES....
Is it through that app that you download to the phone? I've heard about it. I'm just wondering if it's any good on the Samsung Prevail, as several people here in the forums have complained that the wifi on this device is pathetically slow... Could I, say, have a Skype video chat on my computer via the Prevail's wifi?

rrspikes

May 15, 2011
Visit site
A pic is worth a 1000 words... Sorry about the Sceenshot notification, but you can still see I'm connected to my netbook. ...now if only my PlayBook would see it!

capt. trips

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,
brianstash mentioned in a previous post that he can tether up to 1mbps on his Prevail. I called Boost to ask if I could tether and they had no idea what I was talking about. Just to be 100% clear: I want to connect my computer to my Prevail and use Boost's sweet unlimited wifi as a modem to surf the web on my computer.
Can it be done? If so, how? I was a previous iPhone user, and AT&T charged extra for tethering capabilities. Is it extra on Boost?
Help?
Thanks!
Jenni

capt. trips

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
your phone must
must be rooted first. Then you can use one of several apps from the market. I use pda net to use my phone as a Bluetooth modem. You can also use wireless tether to create a WiFi hotspot.

Last edited:

PoorBoy52760

Banned
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
that is why pdanet is a better choice, you can hide your tether. just need to figure out how to get it to work

since the prevail and the phone i have the precedent are the same you have to have pdanet on your phone, the pdanet stuff on the computer and u have to go into settings/applications/development and enable USB debugging... i use it on my phone and it works, but then i also rooted mine and use a wifi tether (NOT BARNACLE) as it is not secure.

bayougal63

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
your phone must
must be rooted first. Then you can use one of several apps from the market. I use pda net to use my phone as a Bluetooth modem. You can also use wireless tether to create a WiFi hotspot.

I have yet to figure out how to use the wireless or the bluetooth to connect tethered.:(

Professional

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Try to make friends with someone at boost like I did. My mom activated my prevail because the guy told her I wanted it because of the "jailbreak" he did on it for me (she thinks everything can be jailbroke). anyway, the guy owns the boost store down the road and he's ok with me using tethering, he set it up for me!:)

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes you can Wifi tether your Prevail. But you have to root your phone. I rooted my phone and Wifi tether it with Barnacle. I'm able to use my laptop and also play MW2 online with my PS3.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to add that I installed standard wifi tether on my dad's phone using the indulge profile and it works fine. However wifi times out when the screen turns off...