Samsung Galaxy S7 vs S7 Active

Phyoomz

Jan 1, 2017
Visit site
Ok folks. I'm torn.

I'm upgrading and need help and insight in deciding between the S7 and the S7 Active.

Perks for the S7 Active:
- Bigger battery (4000mah vs 3000mah)
- Built-in case (essentially)
- Performs better under water/in salt water and better against uv rays (I plan to be poolside/shoreside quite often, so that's a definite plus).

Perks for S7:
- Many more options for cases, including some that can bring battery to over 10,000mah (Active has no battery case that I know of)
- $100 cheaper (hmmmm)
- Compatible with Gear VR (and may qualify for free Gear VR depending on offers)

While I feel the Active is clearly the better phone otb, the S7 is capable, w/ the use of 3rd party additions and that $100 difference, to do pretty much whatever the Active can. So, it boils down to the Gear VR.

Who has experience w/ it? Is it that much of a game-changer (pun intended)? Or should I just get the Active in hopes that Samsung's next VR will be compatible?

Thanks for reading.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi! I'm sorry, I'm unfortunately not very well-versed in VR, but looking at what you prefer in phones as far as durability and protection from water is concerned, I feel like the Active is a good choice. I'm sure Amazon would have a good selection of cases to choose from!

jeanericblass

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
Well if you don’t like big screens, I’d say go for the normal Samsung Galaxy S7.

The only advantage the Edge provides would be:

1- A larger display (which obviously is not an advantage for you)
2- Those sick curves at the side that provide some added functionality (but I find them more gimmicky than useful)
3- A slightly bigger battery, but this is offset by the fact that the Edge has a larger display that consumes more power.
4- And last but not least… erm nope sorry, that’s it.
So ask yourself, are these added features worth that extra hundred pounds? No? Then you will be much better off getting the normal version. It provides most of the same specs — processor, RAM, camera — for a much lower price.

Don’t go buying the Edge just because other people think its cooler and better. Buy something suited to you, that satisfy your needs and your preferences. They don’t call the smartphone a personal device for no reason.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress