Older flagship or new midrange?

sd4f

Nov 29, 2018
Visit site
To give a brief introduction, I want to get a replacement phone. I'm coming from a Lumia 950 but it's time for me to go back to android. One and only android phone I had was in 2012 with a SGS1.

Normally I'd like to go for a flagship phone, problem is, I just can't justify the cost, however, I've been looking at a few alternatives which are much cheaper, but want to get an idea of whether an older phone might fit the bill much better. For instance;

- Sony Xperia XA2 Plus 4/32
It has all the features that I want, great battery life, with the exception that the camera isn't particularly great and the SoC is a SD630, I can't get the 6gb ram version in my region which I'd much prefer.

- Pocophone F1
I like this phone a lot, but it's missing NFC and dearer at about 1.6 times the cost of the XA2. I'm not sure about MIUI, I'd much prefer stock or fairly easy braindead use. I read one review which criticised the pocophone for requiring user intervention and a lot of guesswork to get apps to either run or not get booted from RAM too quickly.

That leads me to the following alternative options which are older flagships
- Sony Xperia XZ1 and XZ2
- Nokia 8/Sirocco

My reservation with something like the Nokia 8 is that while it has Android Pie, I get the feeling that it's the last major update it will receive. Don't know for certain, but it is a consideration of older flagships, and kind of makes me a bit concerned.

Last option is to splurge and get a nice yellow S10e. Thing is that it's difficult to justify when it's 3.5 times the price of a XA2 plus and also only the exynos variant is available in my region.

Basically I want a decent camera, would prefer great battery life, and want a headphone jack. If the battery life is good, then willing to trade for the headphone jack. Storage needs to be around the 128gb for me to pass on microsd expansion. For this reason, pixels are kind of ruled out because the price goes astronomical with sufficient storage and considering the xl is the phone with decent battery life.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi there, I recognize you from Windows Central!

XZ2 series does not have a headphone jack. How do you shoot photos? Do you need manual mode? I hear that the camera experience with the Nokia 8/Sirocco is okay but workable if you shoot in manual and/or use a Gcam port.

Is the Nokia 7 plus available in your region? If so, I think that might be a good middle ground for you and probably less expensive over the S10e. It has NFC, good battery life and decent cameras, 64gb base storage (with sd card support). It launched with Oreo and now has Pie so there's more updates to come probably.

sd4f

Nov 29, 2018
Visit site
I had a look at the note 9, problem is again, exynos variant in that series is quite a lot worse than the SD845, for that reason, the S9 / note 9 are kind of to be avoided, unless you get SD845's in them.

Regarding the nokia 7 plus, haven't looked at it closely, but looks intriguing. Battery is quite a lot larger, and most of the specs parallel the XA2 plus, but for some reason the XA2 lasts a lot longer as per GSM Arena. So far I can find, it's a bit dearer, inbetween the price of the XA2 Plus and a Pocophone, so will do a little bit more research. Thanks.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I had a look at the note 9, problem is again, exynos variant in that series is quite a lot worse than the SD845, for that reason, the S9 / note 9 are kind of to be avoided, unless you get SD845's in them.

Regarding the nokia 7 plus, haven't looked at it closely, but looks intriguing. Battery is quite a lot larger, and most of the specs parallel the XA2 plus, but for some reason the XA2 lasts a lot longer as per GSM Arena. So far I can find, it's a bit dearer, inbetween the price of the XA2 Plus and a Pocophone, so will do a little bit more research. Thanks.
Have you considered the OnePlus 6T? No headphone jack though.

sd4f

Nov 29, 2018
Visit site
I have considered the oneplus phones. I kind of wrote off the 6 because I can only get it from unofficial sources, meaning questionable warranty and unknown region. That leaves the 6T, which is starting to get expensive enough that I'd rather just go to something like the S10e.

I learnt my lesson with the first SGS1 I had, basically a carrier branded phone, so I'm not interested in anything other than an unbranded and correct region phone with warranty. I don't want to buy from ebay or similar sites.

Now, the Nokia 7 plus looks like it's all around better than the XA2 plus. Thing is, it's slightly dearer where I am, at around 1.33x the price. Question is, for almost the same money, I could pick up a Nokia 8, appear to still be available new here, although stock is sketchy. I think i'll try my luck with the nokia 8, as the better screen and better SoC will help a bit more. Since the 7+ benefits from the google camera, I get the feeling that the N8 will probably do so too.

Only concern is how long in support will the N8 remain as I doubt it will see any more major updates (it has already had two). Will it be a good idea buying a 2017 flagship now?

Last edited:

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I have considered the oneplus phones. I kind of wrote off the 6 because I can only get it from unofficial sources, meaning questionable warranty and unknown region. That leaves the 6T, which is starting to get expensive enough that I'd rather just go to something like the S10e.

I learnt my lesson with the first SGS1 I had, basically a carrier branded phone, so I'm not interested in anything other than an unbranded and correct region phone with warranty. I don't want to buy from ebay or similar sites.

Now, the Nokia 7 plus looks like it's all around better than the XA2 plus. Thing is, it's slightly dearer where I am, at around 1.33x the price. Question is, for almost the same money, I could pick up a Nokia 8, appear to still be available new here, although stock is sketchy. I think i'll try my luck with the nokia 8, as the better screen and better SoC will help a bit more. Since the 7+ benefits from the google camera, I get the feeling that the N8 will probably do so too.

Only concern is how long in support will the N8 remain as I doubt it will see any more major updates (it has already had two). Will it be a good idea buying a 2017 flagship now?

To answer your question, it's hard to know since Nokia decided to return the year it was released. There might be one more at most? I would say no, unless you are fine with not expecting any updates.

sd4f

Nov 29, 2018
Visit site
Ok, so I've done more shopping, and almost decided to get a Nokia 8. Thought about it after finding a new one for less than a 7 plus.

What is still niggling me is that I've been seriously tempted by the S10e. Where I'm conflicted is I'm not sure how long it will take for 5G to filter down to mainstream use. My casual use of data doesn't really benefit from it, so I'm not going to pay extra for 5G.

With that said, I'm reading some reports that suggest that the 5G rollout will be quicker than 4G, meaning a cheaper phone now would make more sense, whereas if it's like 4G, then i can buy todays flagship and basically run it til it's dead, as 5G plans probably won't be cheap until a good 3-5 years from now.

In any case, I think I've had my question answered. I'm preferring to go for an older flagship than a new midrange phone. It's just that after handling a couple of the S10e's, the yellow colour is nice, and they sure do look and feel nice.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I've done more shopping, and almost decided to get a Nokia 8. Thought about it after finding a new one for less than a 7 plus.

What is still niggling me is that I've been seriously tempted by the S10e. Where I'm conflicted is I'm not sure how long it will take for 5G to filter down to mainstream use. My casual use of data doesn't really benefit from it, so I'm not going to pay extra for 5G.

With that said, I'm reading some reports that suggest that the 5G rollout will be quicker than 4G, meaning a cheaper phone now would make more sense, whereas if it's like 4G, then i can buy todays flagship and basically run it til it's dead, as 5G plans probably won't be cheap until a good 3-5 years from now.

In any case, I think I've had my question answered. I'm preferring to go for an older flagship than a new midrange phone. It's just that after handling a couple of the S10e's, the yellow colour is nice, and they sure do look and feel nice.

I apologize for being a little late to this thread, but I think you are going in the right direction. Having last year's flagship, for example, is a really good purchasing decision. Their operating systems are still fast and efficient on the battery; they still have amazing specs; and they'll still get software updates for a while. Even some phones that are a little older than "last year's" will still give you a really good mobile experience.

And sometimes, there isn't even a need to justify upgrading to a subsequent flagship - last year's is very often just as good, and the current year only has a couple of new "spec bumps." I feel that way about the Pixel 3 versus the Pixel 2. Also, I still think the Samsung Galaxy S8 is a fantastic phone and purchasing choice now; despite the S10 bring out (and awesome too). I think it all boils down to personal preference.

Keep us posted on what happens!

sd4f

Nov 29, 2018
Visit site
Keep us posted on what happens!

Yea I basically let common sense dictate, bought the Nokia 8.

The thing that really pushed me to go cheap was I went to notebookcheck and did a comparison of SOC's. Considering I'm up against the exynos variant of the S10e, I compared the SD835 to it, and it was 87% of the performance. Really not worth over triple the price for a chip which is merely around 15% better.

Like this isn't thorough benchmarking, but it puts into perspective, the difference between these chips is not orders of magnitudes, it's marginal at best. When the SD855 is thrown into the equation, it's not that different either.

So I can see why the phones are hobbled with software and end of support and difficult battery changes. That appears to be the only way to force users to upgrade and buy a new phone.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yea I basically let common sense dictate, bought the Nokia 8.

The thing that really pushed me to go cheap was I went to notebookcheck and did a comparison of SOC's. Considering I'm up against the exynos variant of the S10e, I compared the SD835 to it, and it was 87% of the performance. Really not worth over triple the price for a chip which is merely around 15% better.

Like this isn't thorough benchmarking, but it puts into perspective, the difference between these chips is not orders of magnitudes, it's marginal at best. When the SD855 is thrown into the equation, it's not that different either.

So I can see why the phones are hobbled with software and end of support and difficult battery changes. That appears to be the only way to force users to upgrade and buy a new phone.

Hmm, I can definitely understand why those stats made you want to get a phone less expensive than a phone like the S10e! The Nokia 8 is a superb phone - congratulations! Enjoy it and let us know when it arrives!

sd4f

Nov 29, 2018
Visit site
Hmm, I can definitely understand why those stats made you want to get a phone less expensive than a phone like the S10e! The Nokia 8 is a superb phone - congratulations! Enjoy it and let us know when it arrives!

I bought it at a store, so I've been setting it up.

Quite happy with the hardware. This flavour of android isn't exactly to my liking, it will take a fair bit of customisation and getting used to, I'm also not sure whether it's an android thing, or just nokia's flavour of it. In any case, it does what I want it to do, just find it a little bit more cumbersome than windows phones were.

The main gripe I have is that it doesn't really cater well to non default apps. For example the glance screen, is quite a disappointment, it will only display missed calls, texts and emails from google apps. I'm using outlook, so the email function doesn't work. Additionally, can't pin apps that I'd prefer to use more, such as messenger, instagram, or others.

It's great to have apps again though.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I bought it at a store, so I've been setting it up.

Quite happy with the hardware. This flavour of android isn't exactly to my liking, it will take a fair bit of customisation and getting used to, I'm also not sure whether it's an android thing, or just nokia's flavour of it. In any case, it does what I want it to do, just find it a little bit more cumbersome than windows phones were.

The main gripe I have is that it doesn't really cater well to non default apps. For example the glance screen, is quite a disappointment, it will only display missed calls, texts and emails from google apps. I'm using outlook, so the email function doesn't work. Additionally, can't pin apps that I'd prefer to use more, such as messenger, instagram, or others.

It's great to have apps again though.

I'm sorry that you are having some gripes with your phone! It may take you a while to get used to! But I definitely get what you're saying about the Glance Screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall