Cricket Unthrottled Speed

gunzkevin

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
So I have been on cricket for a few months now. I have the 10gb plan. Great coverage, and amount of data for a good price.

Only problem I have is that I am not getting my 8mb/s for LTE and 4mb/s for H+ regardless of time of day. It is quite annoying. I have found old posts from ~2011 with hacks to get fully unthrottled speeds. I was wondering if there was anything like that around today, tapping into some of the ~40mb/s that I know AT&T is capable of.

Or at the very least, if there is anyway to ensure I get what Cricket says I should be getting.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
So I have been on cricket for a few months now. I have the 10gb plan. Great coverage, and amount of data for a good price.

Only problem I have is that I am not getting my 8mb/s for LTE and 4mb/s for H+ regardless of time of day. It is quite annoying. I have found old posts from ~2011 with hacks to get fully unthrottled speeds. I was wondering if there was anything like that around today, tapping into some of the ~40mb/s that I know AT&T is capable of.

Or at the very least, if there is anyway to ensure I get what Cricket says I should be getting.
Remember, that speed also depends on network congestion and whether they have the necessary infrastructure in place within your area to reach the claimed speeds. What you can do is make sure the phone is fully updated, and that you have the most updated apn settings if the device is gsm (uses a SIM card). For the apn settings, contact Cricket for the most updated information.

gunzkevin

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Remember, that speed also depends on network congestion and whether they have the necessary infrastructure in place within your area to reach the claimed speeds. What you can do is make sure the phone is fully updated, and that you have the most updated apn settings if the device is gsm (uses a SIM card). For the apn settings, contact Cricket for the most updated information.

Yes, that is why I said "regardless of time of day". Whether it is at 3 am when there are few people connected, or at 7pm when everyone is at home on their phones it doesn't matter. A friend on AT&T can run the same test right next to me, and will get over 30mbps while I muster only ~2mbps. I have all the required bands minus 29, and am getting full LTE bars. I have the correct and newest APN settings, and have also been given a new SIM card to try and fix the issue, to no avail.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I am curious if anyone else has past experience with this issue or knows a way around it.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that is why I said "regardless of time of day". Whether it is at 3 am when there are few people connected, or at 7pm when everyone is at home on their phones it doesn't matter. A friend on AT&T can run the same test right next to me, and will get over 30mbps while I muster only ~2mbps. I have all the required bands minus 29, and am getting full LTE bars. I have the correct and newest APN settings, and have also been given a new SIM card to try and fix the issue, to no avail.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I am curious if anyone else has past experience with this issue or knows a way around it.

Use the AT&T mark the spot app to let them know you have a connection or speed issue. :) Also if your using a byo phone, you can call and ask them to register your imei for LTE.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

AT&T limits the data speed for non-AT&T subscribers, even though Cricket uses AT&T networkds:AT&T caps Cricket's peak download speeds to 8 Mbps on LTE, 4 Mbps on HSPA+ - FierceWireless

The speeds you are getting are far slower than what is claimed in the above article, and what Cricket has said you should expect to get. I would take the issue up with them since you are not getting near the speeds advertised by Cricket. To achieve faster speeds, or tap directly into the AT&T network bypassing Cricket, will likely require flashing or reworking of your current software. I wouldn't recommend that, as it could likely result in a bad flash or loss of data entirely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress