Is the 8mbps speed limit a problem?

cell adviser

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
8 Mbps per second is way more than adequate and it actually using is about 8.8. Streaming a Netflix show probably uses 425 so way more than plenty. What in the world do we need 30 and 40 megabytes per second anyway 5 would be enough. I've set up many people with home internet that is less than 8.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So I am making the jump from Verizon to Cricket.
However, I have a Verizon HTC 10. I get 33 down and 15 up on big red. Since I don't have all the bands/ radios, my phone works with voice and data at the same time on cricket. I tested my son's sim card. I only get 5.0 down and around 2 up.
Is this really an issue? I need to watch what I do with my phone when in a car, but all I want to do while driving is listen to music, use waze or google maps. If I am out and about then use twitter or instagram, etc. I do notice a difference, but will it annoy me over time?

I was hoping HTC would swap my 6 week old 10 for an unlocked one but no dice. So I am currently paying verizon 30.00 more a month for 3gb less of data as opposed to Cricket.

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I cant say if it will bother you. I only got about 5 at most when I have Boost. And when I actually got 5mbps is was ok. Normally their service was weak and slower often less than 1 or 2mbps, so getting about 8 was an upgrade for me. I have streamed music with cricket and that works fine. I use google maps pretty often. Again its plenty fast enough for that navigation doesnt require a lot of data really it just requires data service and that for me was an issue. One of my camping destinations had no reliable sprint service so I had to use of line maps. AT&T's network is much better. I dont think it will be a problem.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Not really a issue for most things, 8mbs is good for most except HD streaming you're gonna have a issue, allow no tethering or anything like that. Cricket is cheap and reliable for those who don't wanna Verizon prices...

Jay G63

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Disappointed to have just read an article where cricket will be slowing speeds after 22gb. I was ready to jump on the cricket band wagon in August when my current contract expires now I'm not sure whom I'll want to go to.
Rural living, slow wifi at the house so i use my mobile data a lot.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Disappointed to have just read an article where cricket will be slowing speeds after 22gb. I was ready to jump on the cricket band wagon in August when my current contract expires now I'm not sure whom I'll want to go to.
Rural living, slow wifi at the house so i use my mobile data a lot.

Ah yep... you're right. Makes sense though since AT&T does it.

" Starting April 2, 2017, Cricket will implement a new network management practice on Cricket's $70/mo plan. Specifically, if you are on the $70/mo plan and use more than 22GB of data during any monthly plan cycle, your data speeds may be temporarily slowed during periods of network congestion for the rest of that monthly plan cycle."
Via https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

derrickmd18#AC

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm on cricket and with the 22gb reduction I'm thinking about switching to Verizon or att. Because 8mb max speeds and you are going to reduce it slower than that at 70 a month. At that point Verizon and att becomes better because even reduce its 8mb or faster with Verizon.