Can't wait for this phone... Verizon Question?!?!

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I know this phone is HOPEFULLY coming out in Aug. but let's say it's delayed again, I have a Contract question. My Upgrade is already due and I can upgrade whenever BUT my ACTUAL contract date ends September 22nd. WHAT happens after that day if I haven't upgraded yet???

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Yup, your service just automatically rolls over to month-to-month.

Really, you won't notice it at all. Just stop by VZW store when you're ready to re-up and get the new phone.

-Suntan

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
TIME OUT!!!!! WAAAAIIIITTT!!!!

If you let your contract Expire, you are no longer talking an "Upgrade". So theory is if your contract expires when you go to lock in to a "new" contract you will be signing up for Tiered Data Prices. If you "Upgrade" before your contract expires you will get grandfathered into unlimited data.

Tyyyy

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Yea but are you guys sure since he isn't just upgrading phones, but renewing an expired contract as well that they won't try to say he has to be stuck with tiered data plans to choose from cuz technically they may try to say he isn't grandfathered because of the ending contract?
Sent from my OGDroid using Tapatalk

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

If you let your contract Expire, you are no longer talking an "Upgrade". So theory is if your contract expires when you go to lock in to a "new" contract you will be signing up for Tiered Data Prices. If you "Upgrade" before your contract expires you will get grandfathered into unlimited data.

You are mistaken I did it after my Contract expired last year when I got the DX.. It was an upgrade .... Right know I can go to my Verizon page and all 3 phones on my contract are eligible for an upgrade right now.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You are mistaken I did it after my Contract expired last year when I got the DX.. It was an upgrade .... Right know I can go to my Verizon page and all 3 phones on my contract are eligible for an upgrade right now.

Yeah, my line has been eligible for an ?upgrade? for a couple of months now. I can go in and select to ?upgrade? and discount pricing right now.

-Suntan

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Have any of you tried to "upgrade" a phone line today that the contract has expired on???? All I am saying is They will try to force you into unlimited data.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Have any of you tried to "upgrade" a phone line today that the contract has expired on???? All I am saying is They will try to force you into unlimited data.

Might want to go ask over at the D3 forum. They're the only people that would logically be trying to upgrade today.

-Suntan

Tyyyy

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Yea but back then it wouldn't have made a difference, there weren't any changes in data plans then so you could just pick up where you left off. Now they could technically try to make him pay the tiered prices because even though he is "upgrading", he would be doing it out of contract if it takes that long.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Tyyyy

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Just to clarify we are talking about the unfortunate possibility that the bionic doesn't come out on time and his contract expires in
September before he can upgrade. Just a hypothetical situation.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Blaksmyth

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Me and my wife are currently month to month our contract expired, she was interested in the droid charge. I talked to Verizon in store and over the phone. They did not try to change me to tiered data. Im an existing customer and they want to keep getting my money so for now atleast we are grandfathered in. So calm down and please confirm your information before this becomes a downward spiral. Just don't want people going into panic mode for no reason.

Reactions: shipwrestler125

mettec

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site

If you have unlimited data right now on a smartphone using the same phone#, you are grandfathered in regardless if you are month to month or starting a new 2 year contract. As long as you already had unlimited data you retain it period. You can switch plans, upgrade phone, change features, etc... as long as you are active on Verizons network and don't disconnect or change accounts.

I am on a month to month with Verizon and went into the store today to ask similar questions and just what I told you is what I was told. So the bottom line is that I can get the Bionic sign a new 2 year contract and my unlimited will still be in tact.

Last edited:

neowarcloud

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
If you have unlimited data right now on a smartphone using the same phone#, you are grandfathered in regardless if you are month to month or starting a new 2 year contract. As long as you already had unlimited data you retain it period. You can switch plans, upgrade phone, change features, etc... as long as you are active on Verizons network and don't disconnect or change accounts.

This is probably the most concise way to put it. If you currently have unlimited data and a Verizon smartphone, you will continue to get unlimited data until they make it a policy change. It does not matter whether you're month to month or under contract. Tiered only applies to new smartphone lines. All existing customers currently with unlimited data will get unlimited data on their next smartphone unless Verizon changes their policy. I wouldn't expect them to change their policy UNLESS AT&T changes their policy regarding grandfathering of customers. If one of their reps try to convince you that you have to go on tiered plans, do not listen. Also, if you're interested in tethering, you can get unlimited tethering for $30 dollars on top of the $30 unlimited plan. They will try to tell you that you have to go with the 2 GB plan, but keep pestering them until they give you the unlimited...

We will probably see it end sometime in the future, but hopefully not for a while.

Last edited:

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
No matter what, when you go in to upgrade they have been told (apparently according to other forum members) that they are to try and talk you into a tiered pla. Just be very firm and tell them right off that no matter what you want to keep your unlimited plan but are their to get a new phone.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips. More then likely I will get the Bionic before my Contract is up, but good to know what to do just in case.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
No matter what, when you go in to upgrade they have been told (apparently according to other forum members) that they are to try and talk you into a tiered pla. Just be very firm and tell them right off that no matter what you want to keep your unlimited plan but are their to get a new phone.

That's why I order online then don't have to deal with the reps trying to change my plan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38