Need input FAST please -- Bionics without reboot or hiss?

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

Tomorrow is day 14 of my Bionic's life and I need to decide ASAP if I want to return it or not. I love the phone but I have had 2 major issues (in my view anyway).

1) Phone rebooted 3x now in last 2 weeks. Most recently at 4:30am today when it started to vibrate like mad, incessantly, on my nightstand. It woke both DH and I up. I couldn't get it to stop or to power on or anything. Had to pull battery. Previous 2 BSOD also but both were minor compared to today's wakeup call, so to speak.

2) My headphones squeek when on pause or low volume music, like many reported here.

Otherwise I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this phone. I really need some help in deciding what to do. Are there people out here on these forums who have owned the Bionic with NEITHER of these issues??? I can't tell from people posting here if everyone is experiencing these issues or only a small but vocal minority.

I am scared to try another Bionic because I will be out of my 14d window if that one has the same problems. I know Moto offered to "fix" mine but it would take 5-7 business days when I would be without a phone! Plus I don't feel like spending $300 to fix a phone during it's first 2 weeks of life.

Thank you,

Katherine

sabbath

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I dont hear the whine. No reboots for mine. A couple force closes though. That might be a app that i have...

Sent from my mobile

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
All good here, I received mine on the 14th. Never had the reboot issue and couldn't hear the audio issue when I plugged in my Bose noise cancelling headphones the other day. Took a tiny bit of fiddling to get the music to play but BAM it's probably the loudest and clearest I've ever had.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
There is no way I could get rid of this phone...it's awesome. I guess if mine was acting up, I'd call CS and see what they recommended. If they wanted to send out a new phone, I'd let them. I suspect the blackouts/reboots is related to a conflict with some app, which is fixable and not the actual phone. The headset noise is a different issue. I listen to my earbuds (SkullCandy FMJ's) all day long and have no background noise/whine/hiss. If a different headset doesn't fix it, I'm guessing is hardware related.

I would NOT go to a corporate store. I know there are some knowledgeable reps out there somewhere, but in general, they're a bunch of tards that still think you should put ATK on your phone.

engineer968

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine since the morning of release and I've never had any reboot issue, nor any headphone whine. (crosses fingers so he doesn't jinx himself)

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I should be more clear. Mine has never rebooted, but I have forced it into one by overloading it with running possesses and multiple data downloads. (normally it does not)

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Mine isn't activated, nor does it have any apps on it, so I don't know about the reboot issue.

However, I put my SD card in it to load up my music to see if it had the hiss/whine and unless my ears deceive me, there wasn't anything. I turned the volume up, paused it, turned it down, all of the usual suspects, and heard nothing but the music (or nothing at all if it was paused). And this was with factory Apple ear buds and $10 ear buds that I bought at Walmart - so it wasn't like I was using $300 headphones on it or anything.

I think there was a bad batch that made it out or some people's ears are more sensitive - or a combination of both!

Good luck. I think it's a great phone that's getting a pretty unfortunate rap in the forums.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I've had no random reboots, but the slight hissing sound is there when I play music and pause.

My guess that all of your issues will be taken care of with maintenance updates. It may take some time, but they will make your phone better over time.

If any of these are a deal breaker for you, then I would go get a phone that has been on the market for some time. New devices will always have some problems that need to be fixed.

pdecell

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Kath,

I have had mine from 9/8 (now called Bionic Day) and I have had none of the issues you describe. The only odd thing is one day I came back to my office and the phone was ringing and the person in the next office said it had been doing that for about 10 minutes. Turned out that I had gotten one of those $%#%$6 robo call places and apparently the call got hung in some way. By way of background my office is one giant Faraday cage and my old phone could not get any signal so apparently I get just enough signal to hang in this case.

I have yet to need a battery pull which is a good thing since I use an Otterbox-great protection but tricky to remove at least for me.

I have had none of the sound issues (whining or hissing or whatever and I listen to a lot of classical music) or random vibrating-NADA. The camera is a bit quirky-but since I specialize in macros with my SLR which require a lot of patience I just work around them. :D

I bought my phone at my local VZ store and if I had either of these issues would have exchanged the phone for a new one. Can't you have your old phone reactivated until your replacement comes?
:confused:

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I got mine on Launch Day and had 4-6 BSOD and Random reboots. Took it back Monday (9/12) and they gave me a new one...only one BSOD and no reboots in 12 days. Neither phone had any hiss for me.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Havent had any issues since launch day except for yesterday it froze on me. Battery pull fixed it but besides that nada. Been loving the bionic experience. I think a app hung my phone so don't think it was hardware causing the freeze.

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all for the wonderful input. I have decided to keep the phone (I should say keep a Bionic) but just exchange it for a new one. I was going to just downright return it today (my 14th day). I do love the phone though overall.

I am going to test the "hiss" in store at Costco before taking the new one. That should help eliminate that problem. The rebooting I am hoping for a software fix from Bionic soon.

Katherine