VZW "abandoning" Bionic?

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Leak discussing Droid RAZR and Nexus Prime via phadroid:

"The idea I?m getting from official testers is that the screen and user experience is much better in the Nexus device, and the overall advantage is the presence of Ice Cream Sandwich (I?ve personally noted this to be true). But I?ve also been told by those who have tested it that the RAZR is very fast, smooth, and has a great battery life. The screen, although not quite up to Nexus, is a big improvement over the Bionic for those who didn?t like it. Verizon is very, very excited for both devices. I don?t get the feeling they?re ?siding? with one over the other, but I can tell you that they never had a lot of confidence in the Bionic having a lot of staying power. Their decision to release the Bionic as is was more of a contractual obligation than a real belief in the product. They are much more invested in the RAZR."

Yikes.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I don't believe a word of it. Verizon invested a ton of money in Bionic TV ads. Further, the Bionic will get Ice Cream Sandwich.

And if the Razor is that thin then it's going to be missing something big.

Reactions: taylorz_412

bigv5150

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
How can something come out 2 months after the bionic and be that much better. I love my bionic I have had one our two issues that's it. I am confident the update will fix most issues. And there is no way we aren't getting ics. All though the razr may not have it either since ics has been postponed until the end of November.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
How can something come out 2 months after the bionic and be that much better. I love my bionic I have had one our two issues that's it. I am confident the update will fix most issues. And there is no way we aren't getting ics. All though the razr may not have it either since ics has been postponed until the end of November.

Not saying it won't get ICS...just that VZW might really push the RAZR over it. And no, ICS isn't delayed until late Nov.

fdisker

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
>> And if the Razor is that thin then it's going to be missing something big.

Exactly, unless this is the first phone available with the LTE modem integrated into the SoC. That's the only way I see it being that thin. They wouldn't possibly release the Nexus as a 3G only device, would they?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I had to wait for Verizon to finish with it's prerecorded iPhone 4s info, when I called for tech support today. How aggravating to be stuck in the call "tree" listening to them trying to get us all to buy iPhones! I continually cursed into the phone while listening to that crap. :)

EnergyPlus

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
While I agree in principal, the ugly truth is that A. Manufacturers want to sell product...lots of product. B. Carriers have to compete with each other and thus keep on selling the newest thing on the street. C. Loyalty to yesterday's product is nonexistent if there is something newer out there and I'd hasten to add, even if the new thing was on par-and possibly even slightly subpar-to the "old" thing. That's the law of business and profit!

I don't believe a word of it. Verizon invested a ton of money in Bionic TV ads. Further, the Bionic will get Ice Cream Sandwich.

And if the Razor is that thin then it's going to be missing something big.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I can seriously see this happening. It really makes no sense why Motorola is releasing such a similar phone so quickly. I didn't think at the Bionic release that we would see this phone before the end of the year but it seems to be ready alot quicker then expected.

If this device has LTE the Bionic might be in big trouble. The slimness with the rumored specs are pegging this phone to be a slick powerhouse. Early pictures of this phone next to the bionic make the bionic look HUGE! But if this is a 3g phone it won't harm the bionic at all since it will appeal to a different crowd.

If this phone is released as a Droid Flagship like the Bionic is now i think the Bionic will live in its shadow with a price reduction to 249. Charge just went to 199 so that price point makes sense and $50 wont make a difference to anyone if the phone is that much better.

If Motorola does this to people who are locked in to the Bionic, after making them wait 9 months i will loose alot of respect for the company. Glad i got out of this phone when i did.

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I just don't see how the Droid RAZR can be so thin and have an LTE radio. 2nd Gen LTE chipsets weren't supposed to be ready until next year. If this phone is releasing so close to the Bionic, why the huge difference in thickness? It just doesn't add up to me.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I can't be that thin and have everything the Bionic has - not possible.

And what do you expect them to advertise it as "hey these phones suck compared to the Bionic?"

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm definitely looking at the Nexus as a replacement for my Bionic. No more Motorola for me.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Yiannis

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm definitely looking at the Nexus as a replacement for my Bionic. No more Motorola for me.

Well just consider the possibility that a cell phone with a more power hungry processor and twice the number of pixels of the Bionic will consume far more battery than the Bionic.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Well just consider the possibility that a cell phone with a more power hungry processor and twice the number of pixels of the Bionic will consume far more battery than the Bionic.

The Nexus is rumored to have a bigger battery which should help with power demands. Also i believe ICS will have better power management then Gingerbread does, Which should help as well. Im just hoping samsung finds a way to match or better the Bionics battery life. Its the best ive seen for an LTE phone so far.

bigv5150

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Not saying it won't get ICS...just that VZW might really push the RAZR over it. And no, ICS isn't delayed until late Nov.

Yes it is the launch was postponed for October now reports are saying November but there is no date as of today. I hope it happens soon I really want to check out ics.

LrdAnkh#AC

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
You know this is quite simple, it is the Chicken Little Principle, there is always someone who believes "The sky is falling, the sky is falling". I wish people stopped conjecturing and stick to the facts. Enjoy the phone you have for what it is and let others enjoy it as well. If it is true that VZW will abandon it so let it be it it still dos not take away from what the phone is, simply ahead of anything else out there now. If it isn't true guess what it is still ahead of anything else that is out there now. This rumor mongering does nothing for or against the phone. Let it be already.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes it is the launch was postponed for October now reports are saying November but there is no date as of today. I hope it happens soon I really want to check out ics.

You are mistaken. The announcement of ICS and the Nexus prime was postponed due to the death of Jobs, not its release. It is still set for a November 3rd launch, as it always has been.

mbentley3

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
VZW "abandoning" the Bionic....lol....thats a far stretch of the imagination. They still have phones like the Tbolt to phase out and you think the Bionic is on its way out the door? Think again.

nocaldawg

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Threads like this are funny. The Bionic is a great phone. Will the new ones be better? Maybe, but that is the way of technology. However, was my Droid X2 really better than my Droid X? In some ways yes and in some ways no. Bionic blows both out of the water!

bigdanorama

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Didn't Google form a group or consortium at I/O '11 in order to update phones more quickly? If they're living up to it, I wouldn't be worried about the Droid Razr (or whatever they're gonna name it). I don't mind if this is no longer the BMOC. As long as I receive updates, I'm happy. :)

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I somehow don't think Verizon had a contractual obligation to push the bionic in super expensive Sunday and Monday night football ads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38