Google Maps killing battery?

rpscott02

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Battery life has been decent but I wonder if I could do better. I've noticed over the past few days that Maps is continually using between 42-47%. I have location on but this is happening without even opening the app

Any one else having this problem?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Yaish

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I've noticed this as well. I haven't wanted to add it to the auto end list because that will kill it during navigation (tried it, confirmed)

Yaish

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
It could just be a reporting bug too, as the battery life is still pretty good. Screebl did the same thing.

Yaish

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Maps is reporting 48%, and I haven't used maps or any other GPS function all day. I checked Task Manager, and Maps is not running. It just seems to have started since the last Maps update, and battery life doesn't seem to be adversely affected.

I'm going with a reporting bug, not a real issue. (still annoying, but I'm ignoring it for now)

Mahbles

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The back of my Bionic gets pretty warm when I'm using the Nav. I usually have it plugged into the charger so I thought the charger was making the phone warm, but once I was using the Nav for something quick so I didn't plug it in, and it got pretty warm.

All in all, I'm still a big Bionic fan, I haven't had any issues with it, and I'm still stunned by how fast 4G is. They can keep that RAZR, I'll keep my Bionic.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
When I use Maps and Nav it really eats up the battery...and really, why wouldn't it? You have GPS working continously as you drive, voice directions, etc., all heavy battery users; they have always recommended keeping your Bionic plugged in while using Nav. The first time I opened Maps, it didn't seem to stop running after I closed it. I had to force it closed...but since then it stops running when I close it and no more battery drain (except when I am using it).

Yaish

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had the issue in several days now. I think I did a pull power off/reboot since I noticed it happening, and now.

Battery life is the same before and after, so yeah, Maps wasn't actually using any battery on those days, just reporting it was.

FastMoneyPlaya

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Battery pull seems to do the trick for me.

Yesterday my battery got drained faster than normal and the usage statistics showed Google Maps at the top with 37% even though I hadn't used Maps all day. I charged the phone overnight, and the phone was down to 70% battery this AM after only 3 hours - again the usage statistics showed 37% even though I hadn't opened Google Maps today.

So I did a battery pull before lunch, recharged and after being unplugged for 4 hours I've got 80% battery and 0% Google Maps usage. It looks like everything is back to normal.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I had the same thing happen to me the first time I opened Google Maps...it would not "turn off." I did a force stop and then a battery pull and no problems since...I've also had one or two automatic upgrades download for it as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non