My third Bionic still suffers from intermittent data loss

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I just got my third Bionic. SAME exact issue--there are periods of time in which 4G cuts in and out every few minutes, followed by periods of stability. My wife's phone is rock steady in the same location, even in my hands (I'm not a signal "killer" :) ). Tech support suggested yesterday to run it in Safe Mode, which I've done a few times. I haven't run it in SM long enough to reach any definitive conclusion, but so far I haven't seen data issues in SM, YET. Which brings me to this question: has anyone heard of an app that could cause INTERMITTENT data instability?? The tech mentioned Juice Defender, which I have never used. I'm at my wits end and was told Verizon will GIVE me a Razr Max for the asking if I give up on the Bionic. I'm not into non-removable batteries, however. I'm even toying with the idea of spending my money on an S3 but that might not be the smartest solution--for one, it's expensive as hell, and maybe the Galaxy will have data signal issues as well. Maybe my wife got a Bionic blessed by god himself...

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
does the Bionic have a "first gen" radio in it?? how much of an evolution in radio tech is there between the bionic, the razr max, and the S3?

SonicJoe

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried factory resetting and not installing anything, and then let it run for a few days? If your wife's bionic is fine, and you have had 3 that all exhibit the same issue, I think that pretty obviously points to some app you have installed or something you are doing to your phone.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried factory resetting and not installing anything, and then let it run for a few days? If your wife's bionic is fine, and you have had 3 that all exhibit the same issue, I think that pretty obviously points to some app you have installed or something you are doing to your phone.

I'm inclined to agree. If you are on your third phone with the same issue, sound like something you've installed. Try a factory reset from stock recovery wiping cache and dalvik and upon reboot, don't install any apps for a few days and see if the issue continues.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
dalvik? the problem happened tonight while in Safe Mode. shouldn't that rule out apps? I noticed that when I opened FB in std mode early this afternoon, I concidentally lost 4G, and earlier, when in SM, I noticed the FB icon was missing from the home screen as were several other apps. I was hoping that by uninstalling FB, I might have found a culprit, but like I said, I lost 4G while in Safe Mode, AND after removing FB.

I looked at the S3--the screen is too cartoony for me.

Maybe I'll take V up on their offer of a Razr Max.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
verizon won't make good on their offer for a razr. they will send a 4th bionic. CRAP!

(did I mention I'm not too happy with Verizon at the moment??)

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
that sucks dave. Did the store offer the razr or was it online? I made the store annotate before I called the customer service line and got them to send me a Nexus. I had a data issue with mine too but it did it in the store while I was describing it and they called it a hardware issue since I had already changed 2 sim cards and did a factory reset. You probably saw my thread of what happened to mine but it sort of sounds like what you are going through. My day 1 bionic was a issue with Wifi and they gave me my current bionic before this data issue happened. I loved my bionics until these issues arose. Starting tomorrow I will be on a different phone but still hanging around the forums. Good luck dave with your next bionic and next time make sure they annotate your account when they offer things like that. If its on your account, the CSRs cant say no.

LHKJohn

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I was having the same problem, but the ICS leaks seem to have fixed all data drops for me. Havent had a single one.

Tapatalkin' from my CM9'd Touchpad

Reactions: 1812dave

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
that sucks dave. Did the store offer the razr or was it online? I made the store annotate before I called the customer service line and got them to send me a Nexus. I had a data issue with mine too but it did it in the store while I was describing it and they called it a hardware issue since I had already changed 2 sim cards and did a factory reset. You probably saw my thread of what happened to mine but it sort of sounds like what you are going through. My day 1 bionic was a issue with Wifi and they gave me my current bionic before this data issue happened. I loved my bionics until these issues arose. Starting tomorrow I will be on a different phone but still hanging around the forums. Good luck dave with your next bionic and next time make sure they annotate your account when they offer things like that. If its on your account, the CSRs cant say no.
the tech yesterday said he notated the account, but the supervisor tonight said I couldn't get a maxx. i'd be happiest with a bionic that works properly, to tell the truth. maybe ics will fix mine??? good luck with your nexus! ive had verizon lie to me many times, so this doesnt surprise me in the least. they don't have much honor, as a corp, or as individuals, in my experience.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
oooo did the tech say razr or razr maxx.......that might be why the super said no is if all the tech put was the razr. Or you might have just caught the super on a bad day. I told them that the store annotated my account which they saw while i was on the phone and they honored it. I guess I may be one of the 1% they actually work with. Sorry you weren't as lucky.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd try the factory reset first.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

soulsurvives

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I just keep mine in 3g mode all the time.....I will put in 4g if I'm gonna watch a movie or something like that but 3g works great and I get great battery life....also make sure your data roaming is on....I'm running one of the ics leaks and the phone is ten times better than it was with gingerbread.....

Reactions: 1812dave

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
i'm thinking of cancelling the order for the FOURTH bionic, and simply waiting for ICS, as I am WORN OUT reconfiguring replacement phones.

(I have data roaming ON)

Last night and this morning 4G has been steady. I know it will get flaky again before the day is up, but like I said I am not wanting to devote a 1/2 day to another replacement. IF I have lots of issues once I get ICS, then I will revisit a replacement or press V more for another model phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Swap phones with your wife.

JAI428

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Having the same issues mentioned above. Im thinking software issue though, my bionic started this with the last update..... ever since its been data loss hell. Was thinking of asking V to remove the update.

Im a 1.5 on tech scale, would like to try the ICS leak, but don't want to damage the phone and then have no replacement options at all.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Having the same issues mentioned above. Im thinking software issue though, my bionic started this with the last update..... ever since its been data loss hell. Was thinking of asking V to remove the update.

Im a 1.5 on tech scale, would like to try the ICS leak, but don't want to damage the phone and then have no replacement options at all.

You could flash back to 902.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I've had issues with data since launch day. I can wait a bit longer for ics

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums