DROID BIONIC Jelly Bean Update

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Samsung's already looking for the exit. There's a chinese OS that I keep forgetting the name of that they're looking at. They are not pleased at all with how Google is handling Moto and feel that they're trying to position Moto as the number 1 Android MFG. There's actually some truth to that, so, it's understandable why they're upset. HOWEVER, running to some unknown OS is not going to be a cake walk, even for Samsung. We'll see how it all plays out. I think it's a lot of posturing to get concessions from Google, personally.

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I hate to raise it here, since its probably rank heresy, but this is where the Cupertino company has the right idea: fewer hardware iterations = faster, easier software upgrades.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I hate to raise it here, since its probably rank heresy, but this is where the Cupertino company has the right idea: fewer hardware iterations = faster, easier software upgrades.

I agree. So does Samsung. And now Moto has been forced into that realization. I think this will be a turning point year for Moogle. The RAZR M and RAZR HD were the last of the Moto designed phones. I think you'll see a marked difference going forward now that Google has the reigns. You'll see fewer, but higher quality, phones and tablets.

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

From now on we shall call the Cupertino company, "thecompanythatshallnotbenamed." LOL.

I do agree, Apple does have Android beat on that, plus a few other things. Of course, they did botch up their last update last fall. I think ever since Job's died their quality control has declined just a little. He seemed to be a Nazi on that, at least in my opinion.

I believe the OS that you are thinking about is called Titan.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Ry and I simply have a difference of opinion on this one. Not a big deal. :) As for Samsung, they didn't update the OS, they patched the existing one AFAIK. And that's certainly one way to go. What you have to remember is there's limited resources at these companies. The more phones they release, the more they have to support. So if a security issue comes forward that needs to be patched, they have to do it on numerous phones. That takes an enormous amount of resources. And usually it takes months while those phones are vulnerable. Samsung was kind of lucky in that it was their pinnacle phone that had the issue. You'll also notice Samsung releases 1 or 2 big phones per year and that's it. That allows them to react quicker than someone like Moto who's typically had half a dozen or more phones per year. Google realized that and are taking a different approach in the future. Cough watch the X phone.....multi carrier.....cough cough :D

While the Galaxy S3 and Note 2 grab the headlines, Samsung still floods the market with other phones. I think there were three or four Galaxy S3 mini variants that were announced/released in the last two weeks. Also, isn't there a Fascinate 2 for Verizon?

How quick can Samsung react to those mini variants?

And HTC wanted to make less phones too, yet in addition to the HTC One V, S, and X there were XV and SV (I think) plus a bunch of Desire models.

I'll believe when I see it when it comes to all of these OEMs making less devices.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

It's only hearsay to Android fanboys that can never admit that Apple did a few things right. Quite a few of them on here (the site as a whole, see any thread where "Apple" or "iPhone" comes up) whose opinions I'm quick to dismiss based on their narrow-minded post history.

I'm glad for the most part on this Bionic forum, there are members that can see a bigger picture.

From now on we shall call the Cupertino company, "thecompanythatshallnotbenamed." LOL.

We don't have to be that petty here. :)

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I used to hate Apple and only recommend Android. While I'll probably never buy Apple myself, they make a fine product. When my father was in the market for a smart phone I pointed him to Apple. The reason being is that their phones (usually) just work. There is hardly any problems with them. Plus, he is very tech-stupid. So, for it to be simple makes his and my life a lot easier.

What drives me nuts are the Apple sheep, that drink the Apple juice. Unfortunately, many Android fanboys are becoming similar. Simply put, your device and my device are different, and have different strengths and weaknesses. When all companies work hard to make their devices better, ultimately we all win. So, just buy the phone that you like, and don't fight about it.

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
That X phone is going to be a beast, and will NOT be tied to one carrier.
But we'll still have the CDMA-vs.-GSM issue going on. Unless the new phone simply piles in more radios, which is one way of addressing the issue, but that places additional constraints on the form factor, increases the expense of manufacturing and reduces battery life.

I did get involved in a conversation the other day about Verizon's implementation of LTE actually running as a layer on top of GSM, but didn't have the opportunity to drill down for details. Up to that point, my understanding was that the mobile world would continue to live with one foot on the GSM boat and the other on the CDMA dock until VoLTE rescued us from all of that, but maybe there's a shorter path to that carrier-agnostic future. I live in hope, but am not holding my breath ...

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Most people would be floored to know that the latest RAZR phones can work on multi-carriers. It's just not enabled. The RAZR M and RAZR HD are able to do so. That means the radios already support this.

AllPurposeRadio

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I can only hope the X-Phone has power the button on top volume rocker on the side design of my Bionic & not both on the side like the Razr. That's really poor design IMO.

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Most people would be floored to know that the latest RAZR phones can work on multi-carriers. It's just not enabled. The RAZR M and RAZR HD are able to do so. That means the radios already support this.

Wow, that's pretty sweet. So they're able to cut down on costs and having to manufacture many different phones and just focus on one awesome phone, aka xphone. I need to stop coming to this forum, it just makes time go by a whole lot slower...

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Snowwy, I've had Verizon for years and smart phones since the original Droid. When did the supposed "bing" event happen?
The only thing even close to that is the Fascinate shipping with bing instead of Google search/maps.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

i do't remember all the details. i just read about it on engadget.com.

i did't switch to verizon till the bionic initially came out. i was sprint for 12 years before that. only reason i switch was becuaswe i'm a traveling man now. and everyone says verizon has the better coverage. but i don't know where it's better at yet. and i've been all over the country. i don't see it any better then sprint coverage. different areas yes. better coverge. NOT HARDLY. certainly not worth the extra $50 i'm paying more now. for less services.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Talk about "your mileage may vary." I switched from Sprint to Verizon after they kicked me off for roaming too much (I somehow went over my unlimited data allotment, go figure). I drive for a living and go into some pretty remote areas. Verizon goes into extended coverage, but never full roaming. There's also many places with Verizon 4G coverage where Sprint only got roaming.

As for price, I'm paying $5/mo extra when factoring in employee discounts. Sprint's 10% vs. Verizon's 15%. Not bad going from 3G to 4G for me. Sure I lost unlimited, but most of that usage was extenuating circumstances that were resolved anyway.

johnejo

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm just curious about something. I'm noticing that various Razr's in other countries, including Canada, are getting the Jelly Bean update. What is the difference between what they are receiving and what we are waiting for with the Razr's and the Bionic here in the USA? Are any of the updates being pushed in other countries happening involving VZW in any way? Just curious if they are having such a problem with ours why are they not having a problem with those in other countries? It's not just a VZW issue, is it?

Thank you.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Main reason I want Jelly Bean is Google Now. I start my day with Google Now on my Nexus 7 to immediately check traffic conditions to work.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how it compares to Google Now, but the traffic conditions in the current Google map app is pretty accurate and has been useful to me.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how it compares to Google Now, but the traffic conditions in the current Google map app is pretty accurate and has been useful to me.

It's pulling the data from the same place but one swipe up tells me all I need to know with Google Now.