Bionic extremely slow after OTA ICS update

Flatland2D

May 4, 2012
Visit site
So I was excited for my wife to be getting ICS on her Bionic but so far it hasn't been working out. She's not into rooting and all the ROMs that I am and wants a stock phone that "just works".

Ever since the ICS update her phone has been extremely slow with apps taking 3 to 4 seconds to open. She's not happy with the upgrade and wants to go back to before (905 on Gingerbread).

Is it possible to downgrade back to 905 after already taking the OTA ICS upgrade? I know people have suggested a factory reset if the phone seems slow after the update, but she is leary of having to do that and potentially forget to backup something important.

I think she's had the phone for over a year so she's probably outside of any kind of warranty help. I've seen several people getting RAZR MAXXs as replacements. Is it still possible to get a replacement this late if the Verizon update bonked her phone?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You can't flash back to 905 after taking the official ICS update.

You can try disabling apps that aren't needed.

If doesn't fix it, doing a factory reset is great way to clean up a phone.

Flatland2D

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I was afraid of that. I'll see about doing a factory reset. Are there any recommended apps that do backups like Titanium Backup that don't require root?

And I guess it's too late to be talking a replacement? What's the latest anyone has had one done?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I was afraid of that. I'll see about doing a factory reset. Are there any recommended apps that do backups like Titanium Backup that don't require root?

And I guess it's too late to be talking a replacement? What's the latest anyone has had one done?

The only reason why I'd advise to not use a program like Titanium Backup is that it could restore bad data that caused issues in the first place.

A clean slate is usually refreshing.

Flatland2D

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I think the main thing she would want backed up would be call logs and SMS. I have seen some apps that back those up without requiring root. Any harm in those?

paynomind

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
My phone was slow and a battery hog after the ICS update. I tracked some usage and battry numbers and found the Amazon App Store was responsible. After looking into it, I uninstalled, and reinstalled the app store. Apparently, there is a different version that doesn't come automatically, which cleared everything up for me. My phone is back to fast and the battery lasts... well, as long as it did before ICS.

rpscott02

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I think the main thing she would want backed up would be call logs and SMS. I have seen some apps that back those up without requiring root. Any harm in those?

I've never rooted & used My Backup for sms and call logs and it worked great. Trial version allows you to backup to the same device

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

sdstevep

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
My Bionic seems to be really slow charging after the ICS update. I don't have the Amazon app store installed so I'm still looking for answers.

CrewF24

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
i have dealt with this same issue. they only thing that worked for me was a full factory default reset with a formating of the internal and sd storage. I did use MyBackup to restore the call log and sms which worked great. Take your time updating the stock apps and restoring the contacts, etc. but the phone will be great after you do this.

Do not restore apps from a backup, install them fresh from the play store. You can do this a little easier from a desktop computer and going to the play store there.

rpscott02

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
i have dealt with this same issue. they only thing that worked for me was a full factory default reset with a formating of the internal and sd storage. I did use MyBackup to restore the call log and sms which worked great. Take your time updating the stock apps and restoring the contacts, etc. but the phone will be great after you do this.

Do not restore apps from a backup, install them fresh from the play store. You can do this a little easier from a desktop computer and going to the play store there.

Appbrain is also a good app for restoring apps. They have a batch install feature which works great. Take a while but its faster and easier than doing it manually

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

gandhibaba

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I had a slow bionic after update. I disabled the window and transition animation in developer options, and yes, that made a big improvement. So i tried wiping the dalvik, that made no difference. I talked with a verizon rep, and they mentioned among other things to start in safe mode. That made the most sense, because if i saw an improvement, i might link it to an application, without having to do a factory reset. In safe mode the phone did work much better and much faster. The thing that was really obvious to me was hitting the search button. That was noticeably slow before safe mode and noticeably faster after safe mode. In safe mode i noticed two desktop icons failed to load, one was calendar pad, and the other was circle battery widget. Sadly, I could not uninstall them in safe mode, so i rebooted normally and first uninstalled circle battery widget. That solved the problem, that was the app that was the culprit. So, if you have a slow bionic after the ICS update, the main reason may be a problem app. I would rather uninstall apps that i can always reinstall, then do a factory reset and possibly lose data and take alot of time. I don't know about paid apps, so do your research before uninstalling paid apps, or apps that store your data, such as bookmarks passwords etc. Make sure you are comfortable to delete apps before following this advice. Here is how i got into safe mode....
1) turn off the bionic and wait till it powers down
2) press power button until you see the motorola logo
3) as soon as you see the motorola logo press (at the same time) the volume up button and the volume down button.
4) do not stop pressing the volume up & down until you feel the phone vibrate
5) the safe mode text will show in the lower left corner of the screen letting you know you are in safe mode

TravelinBri

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I can tell you that disabling the unwanted stock apps had a very positive affect on performance of my Bionic. I'd recommend trying that before reformatting the device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana