Ear Speaker Crackling

pchrist11

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I would post this as a reference for anybody that is experiencing the "crackling" noise in your ear speaker. My ear speaker recently started crackling very bad and it was hard to hear the person I was on the phone with. Even with the volume turned down about half way, I could still hear a little crackling sound but could barely hear the other person. I thought I had blown the speaker and was about to order a replacement online, when I decided to do some searching. I found the solution. It may sound crazy and a little weird, but it worked for me. To fix the crackling noise, put your mouth on the ear speaker and blown in and suck out. After I did this my speaker worked like normal again. I guess the vacuum and pressure moves the speaker cone and gets it straightened out.

Garfish

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
+1 to pchrist11,
takes 10 seconds to try and fixed the issue. Created an account simply to support this as now my ears wont bleed during a call.

Just dont do it too hard, puffing out and sucking in your cheeks is all it takes or you may well damage it.
It must just pop the diaphragm back into its correct position as it must be out of place which causes the distortion.

*For reference this was a Moto Razr M that had the issue, started 3 days ago after 5 months of perfect use.

Cheers again mate!!!

pchrist11

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
+1 to pchrist11,
takes 10 seconds to try and fixed the issue. Created an account simply to support this as now my ears wont bleed during a call.

Just dont do it too hard, puffing out and sucking in your cheeks is all it takes or you may well damage it.
It must just pop the diaphragm back into its correct position as it must be out of place which causes the distortion.

*For reference this was a Moto Razr M that had the issue, started 3 days ago after 5 months of perfect use.

Cheers again mate!!!

Thanks for posting. This actually fixed my problem, wp.

I'm glad it worked for both of you. Mine is still working as well. I still have to do this from time to time to fix it. I blame Voxer for it because it used to play through the ear speaker even when it showed loud speaker in Voxer, so I would turn it up then realize that I had turned it to max on the ear speaker. After clicking the button to switch between ear speaker and loud speaker inside Voxer it would play through the loud speaker. I think they have fixed this bug now but I think it may have caused my speaker to get damaged a little.

Sockeye3

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
After replacing the earpiece speaker in my Droid Razr M due to distortion and crackling, I experienced more of the same. I started to uninstall apps one at a time to try to find a third party culprit. No luck. I came upon this thread and tried a puff of air. No luck. Then I tried sucking in and bingo! It works like new! Couldn't believe it! Thanks for suggesting this! Just play your voice mail message to test. Mine was distorting pretty bad. Clear now! :)

pchrist11

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
After replacing the earpiece speaker in my Droid Razr M due to distortion and crackling, I experienced more of the same. I started to uninstall apps one at a time to try to find a third party culprit. No luck. I came upon this thread and tried a puff of air. No luck. Then I tried sucking in and bingo! It works like new! Couldn't believe it! Thanks for suggesting this! Just play your voice mail message to test. Mine was distorting pretty bad. Clear now! :)

Thanks for posting. I'm glad it worked for you as well.

ManAro2

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I was in exactly the same state as you described.. I actually came line to check cost of replacement speaker
Thanks for the post.. it fixed up the issue.

CrossCutAZ

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for posting this fix. It worked with my Razor M after the ear speaker suddenly had a crackling noise and now it works fine again.

Ksoma

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Thank You Very Much!​
Garfish, I would like to thank you, it made sense as it is a speaker but I never consider doing this as I did not know what caused the problem, did as you wrote and after 3 times it was back again. I talked to the BlackBerry Support and reinstalled the device thinking it was from the new update and almost gave up and wanted to take it for repair, thank you very much!!!

Mostafa Mazhar

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I just registered specially to reply on your thread, it was really helpful after using my lg g4 for a month my ear piece start crackle no solution on the net helped me as your idea i startimg to watch YouTube video regarding changing the earpiece on the g4 and calculated the cost for a new spare part .... you saved the day man thank you

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I just registered specially to reply on your thread, it was really helpful after using my lg g4 for a month my ear piece start crackle no solution on the net helped me as your idea i startimg to watch YouTube video regarding changing the earpiece on the g4 and calculated the cost for a new spare part .... you saved the day man thank you

I too have a G4, and just a heads up that the G4 problem may not be the same hardware problem. On mine, rebooting fixes it, which leads me to believe it's software related. At least it's rare when it crackles.

Jared Hinautan

Jun 25, 2017
Visit site
Just thought I would post this as a reference for anybody that is experiencing the "crackling" noise in your ear speaker. My ear speaker recently started crackling very bad and it was hard to hear the person I was on the phone with. Even with the volume turned down about half way, I could still hear a little crackling sound but could barely hear the other person. I thought I had blown the speaker and was about to order a replacement online, when I decided to do some searching. I found the solution. It may sound crazy and a little weird, but it worked for me. To fix the crackling noise, put your mouth on the ear speaker and blown in and suck out. After I did this my speaker worked like normal again. I guess the vacuum and pressure moves the speaker cone and gets it straightened out.

yay!!! thank you.:-*

kenth628

Jul 25, 2017
Visit site
Wonderful share - saved me from unnecessary expenses for getting my earpiece replaced. :D Saved me from the trouble of having to go to the shop and not having my phone while undergoing repair ... :D

Ghafor Dolatkhah

Dec 20, 2017
Visit site

Thanks for your post
worked https://forums.androidcentral.com/images/icons/icon14.png

revolruf

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
LOL!!

After trying everything i could think of, someone comes up with this silly idea to blow and suck on ear speaker. So, with a "ya, right" i tried it. YOU SAVED THE DAY, THE WEEK AND THE MONTH!! Laughing out loud, honestly. It worked PERFECT! Thank you thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87