Global / World phone?

npstup

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Any chance the Bionic is released as a global / world phone? If not do you think it will get re-released at a later date as a global / world phone?

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
From what I saw its only CDMA (I can be wrong though). The chances of it being released for global? Not sure. I would say it wouldn't and that Europe and other countries will have their own version but again, I could be wrong. Just my opinion ;)

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not worried about a world phone, but I have a Storm2 as well...here are four BB owners in a row (3 Storm2 users) that are leaving BB for a Bionic! I wonder how many more are tired of waitng for BB and will follow us?

darkrisen

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Im another one that has a storm 2 waiting for the bionic for me and my Fiance. She has an LG voyager and really doesnt care about smartphones but she told me as long as it works she doesnt care what I get her :)

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Im another one that has a storm 2 waiting for the bionic for me and my Fiance. She has an LG voyager and really doesnt care about smartphones but she told me as long as it works she doesnt care what I get her :)

Man, you better marry her; if you don't I will!

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm not worried about a world phone, but I have a Storm2 as well...here are four BB owners in a row (3 Storm2 users) that are leaving BB for a Bionic! I wonder how many more are tired of waitng for BB and will follow us?

Probably plenty more out there. If you've stuck with a Storm this far (like me), you're probably committed to using a touchscreen. And if that's the case, the Bionic looks to be a great big slice of LTE touchscreen goodness!

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Probably plenty more out there. If you've stuck with a Storm this far (like me), you're probably committed to using a touchscreen. And if that's the case, the Bionic looks to be a great big slice of LTE touchscreen goodness!

Yes, I am committed to a touchscreen, mostly for the size; I like to be able to read my email and go to websites and read items without dreading it. I am looking forward to the 4.3 screen. I have gotten used to using a touchscreen (I like SurePress, but will survive without it)...I do not like sliders, so I will continue to use touch. I was too hesitant to go with a Droid early on, so I stuck with BB and got the S2...I still feel that, only now, the Android O/S is beginning to approach a level of maturity I am comfortable with. I LOVE the UI of the BB O/S, but the slow internet, resets, etc., I have had enough. Now with their "slowness" to update their hardware/software, no LTE until probably 2012, I am moving on in June. I hope it is all they say it will be because I am still scared as HE$$, ha! Mostly concerns about having to switch everything to Google (mail, talk, etc.)...I hate to be tied into one company; it's like being with Apple!

dinod

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Since LTE is SIM based & LTE will be a Global standard, do you think we could unlock it, get a "local" SIM and use VOIP abroad?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Since LTE is SIM based & LTE will be a Global standard, do you think we could unlock it, get a "local" SIM and use VOIP abroad?

It's hard to say right now, but as it stands at this point it looks like being able to use one LTE device on another network is kinda sketchy. I'm actually not sure how Verizon plans (if any) to lock down the devices to their network. It's entirely possible, but I'm not sure which frequencies some of the European carriers will be using under the LTE technology.

FluxTZ

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

I am also a BB user ready to hop on the Android bandwagon. Sick of my Storm and tired of waiting for RIM to get with the program.

Just take a look at Crackberry - all they every post now is app updates, OS updates, and stuff about the Playbook (which def doesn't entice me).

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I am also a BB user ready to hop on the Android bandwagon. Sick of my Storm and tired of waiting for RIM to get with the program.

Just take a look at Crackberry - all they every post now is app updates, OS updates, and stuff about the Playbook (which def doesn't entice me).

I know what you mean...I NEVER thought I would say this, but CB is actually boring, like a broken record, the same thing over and over. It's not their fault, RIM hasn't given them anything new to get excited about, other than the Playbook...and WHEN is it ever coming out? I like my Storm2 but the internet is so slow and I'm getting tired of losing what little memory I have as it keeps shrinking, so I have to do a 10 minute re-boot every 2-3 days. I will use it until June when my NE2 is up and then I am gone...if RIM comes out with BIG screen, LTE, memory, and speed, I would certainly consider coming back. But until then, I have to look elsewhere.