Question Deleting phone apps

Jhatn

May 30, 2023
Visit site
Is there a way to delete apps from an old phone I no longer have, by going into my Google account online?
The apps are still in my Google Account & I want to delete them.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sure! Go into the Play Store while logged into your account and tap your profile icon. There select "Manage apps and device" and tap the "Manage" tab. There you can select any app (installed or un-installed) and tap the REMOVE button on the right.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Jhatn

May 30, 2023
Visit site
I logged into my Google Account, went to the Play Store, clicked my profile icon, but there is no "Manage Apps & Device" selection →

Google Menu.jpg

1. Choosing 'Manage Your Google Account' does not lead me to the phone apps I want to delete.

2. Choosing 'Library & Devices' does lead me to the phone apps, but there is no way to delete the apps. Just to read its information & a link to 'Install On More Devices'.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying to delete the apps by going through my Google account using my computer, not a phone.
Ahhh, that clears up a lot of the mystery. You're logged into your Google account via its web interface in a browser. Remote interactions like this limit how much you can do instead of directly on your phone itself.. Oddly while you can do something like install an app remotely through the Play Store, you need to uninstall it using your phone.

You're often better off managing and maintaining your phone while on your phone anyway. And don't forget, you cannot readily Uninstall pre-installed, system-level apps. At best you 'might' be able to at least Disable a default app but that depends on its purpose. So go into your Settings >> Apps management menu, open each app(s) in question, and use the Uninstall button.
I'd recommend find and tap on the app's Clear data button first, then tap on Uninstall. Using Clear data will wipe that app's saved settings and config data, along with its cache. Using just Uninstall should do that but some app developers don't bother adding that routine -- the difference being there's app data and there's retained user info data.

Jhatn

May 30, 2023
Visit site
After going through my Google account, I figured Google wouldn't let users control our phones that way :(.

I'll have to wait to get my new phone activated then. Thanks for all the information & I'll remember about the Cache clearing part.

Reactions: BerryBubbles

Jhatn

May 30, 2023
Visit site
I have my new phone (Samsung A35) setup & all apps downloaded.

Using my computer, I signed into my account on play.google.com.
I clicked my Profile Icon, selected Library & Devices & I see all the apps on my phone.

Using my phone; I opened the Play Store, tapped my Profile Icon>Manage Apps & Device>Manage tab.
When I use the filter "Not Installed", nothing is listed (sample picture below). When I use the filter "This Device", I see all the apps on my phone.

Apps-Google Play Store.jpg

Questions:
1. Does the picture above look normal?
2. Why are the apps I see on my computer, different than the apps I see on my phone? The phone shows more apps.
3. Why are the apps I see when I use the filter "This Device", different than the apps in the App Drawer? Is this normal?

Now I just need to go through the apps to figure out which I really need &/or want.
Plus, there are a couple of similar/same apps. Examples: Calculator, Clock, Contacts, Messages, My Files, etc.
* 1 from Google & the other from Samsung Electronics.

Last edited:

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I'd stop trying to micromanage your phone using a computer to remotely access it.
Your phone is running Android, your computer is not. You're attempting to use a non-native operating system to do something it can't. Use your phone to do its own management and maintenance.

Apps that are duplicating basic services are typical with Samsung phones. Android includes its own default apps, part of the firmware. Samsung opts to include its own package of also preinstalled apps that often so the same function. It's up to you the owner to determine which one you prefer to use,the Google option or the Samsung option. If you can, Disable the one you don't use to keep it from using up system resources. (You cannot readily remove preinstalled system-level apps. At best you can Disable them, but not all of them allow that either.)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'd stop trying to micromanage your phone using a computer to remotely access it.
Your phone is running Android, your computer is not. You're attempting to use a non-native operating system to do something it can't. Use your phone to do its own management and maintenance.

Apps that are duplicating basic services are typical with Samsung phones. Android includes its own default apps, part of the firmware. Samsung opts to include its own package of also preinstalled apps that often so the same function. It's up to you the owner to determine which one you prefer to use,the Google option or the Samsung option. If you can, Disable the one you don't use to keep it from using up system resources. (You cannot readily remove preinstalled system-level apps. At best you can Disable them, but not all of them allow that either.)
Agree with you

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hooded88