What does root really do for you? / vs. updating phone

plong#AC

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Hello, rooters. I bought the Charge in June, and rooted it a week later. I guess I'm still on EP1 or whatever, because my phone keeps asking me to update several times a day, which I always deny because I remember being told that doing so would override the root function. My question is this: What is so awesome about having a rooted device? What can I do with one that is so special? I have SuperUser installed, but I still don't know the point. And is keeping my rooted phone preventing me from necessary upgrades to the Charge's basic functionality? Advice, please!

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Generally speaking, if you have to ask the question, you probably don't need root. I have rooted because I wanted to tether on my own terms. I also use titanium backup.

That's my two cents, and as they say, YMMV.

Steve in CT

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Midnight_Ninja

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
You can accept the update and choose to root now. There are several roots out for EE4(the current update for the charge) now. I rooted for a few reasons:
1) Overclocking/Underclocking
2) remove bloatware
3)Titanium and Nandroid Backups.
4) tethering
5) Faster phone overall

But overall, there isnt a huge reason to root unless you really want to. If you are really unsure, try reading up on different roms/kernels and see what they have to offer. A few popular ones on the Charge are GummyCharged, Dark Charged and Humble. You can always try, and if you really don't like it, you can always flash back.

In your situation, I would upgrade to EE4 (the over the air upgrade) and see if you really need to root.

As for superuser, it doesn't do anything unless you have a rooted phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38