[How-to] Root Droid Charge**5/19/11**[Windows & Mac] Now with GingerSnap!

hockeymn25

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
[WARN]Gingersnap (along with all other Android modifications) is experimental software and while I have made this as safe as possible, differences in operating environments and natural disasters can cause your device to become unusable. Please make sure you understand this important fact before downloading.

Disclaimer: Neither myself, Android Central or any other member of Android Central are responsible for any disasters that occur as a result of any hack or modification you perform on your device. Your use of this application is at your own risk![/WARN]

With that out of the way, I'd like to introduce you to the Gingersnap Root Utility. Gingersnap is a one-click root utility, much like SuperOneClick or Universal Androot.

The nitty gritty: Gingersnap uses a modified version of the famous GingerBreak exploit to automatically root your Android-powered device and installs the necessary files to maintain a permanent root status.

Pre-use Requirements:
1) You need the .NET 4 Framework. Not the Client Profile, the full .NET 4 Framework.
2) For some reason you need the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable installed. Don't ask me why.
3) You need proper drivers for the your phone. Your video card doesn't work without drivers and neither will your phone.
4) Before running this Utility please make sure your phone is in debugging mode

Instructions:
  • Download and unzip Gingersnap-V1.2.zip to anyplace on your computer
  • Connect your phone to computer in debugging mode
  • Open Gingersnap-V1.2 folder
  • Double click Gingersnap applications icon
    gingersnap.png
  • press GO , sit back and relax
Credits:
Gingersnap Utility: drewwalton19216801
GingerBreak exploit: C-Skills (Sebastian)
Autoroot shell script (com.sh): Droidxcon, YAY ME!
MAJOR thanks to jondevere for being drewwalton19216801's personal guinea pig!

Think you're ready? The file is attached to this post.

Source Code:
The modified GingerBreak source code is attached to this post. The filename is gingerbreak-mod-gs-src.zip

Do I need to run this and adb or just gingerbreak to root my charge?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
thank you for this... any updates to the method? Sorry if it's been asked before but does this work on the ed2 build?

welcome, method is still the same.. ED2 can only be rooted with a custom kernel or custom rom. I will have a custom Rom up probably tomorrow

hockeymn25

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
After rooting, will I still get "install Update" and should I? I live in a 4g area and would like to update to fix spotty 4g where I live.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
After rooting, will I still get "install Update" and should I? I live in a 4g area and would like to update to fix spotty 4g where I live.

there is a custom ED2 rom and you dont need to be rooted for it , it is prerooted. so go head and update then flash the rom, its in the roms and hacks section.

ok off to sleep, have a good day

Reactions: hockeymn25

extheflow

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a hard time with the gingersnap oneclick method. I followed the prerequisite steps and am on ED1.
Looks like i'm stuck on "Stealing the ginger's soul" running for 10+ minutes. desktop utility shows the CPU still working hard for what that's worth. Am i missing something? or should I just try the ADB method

Update:
Tried method 2 and everything seemed to go well up to the execution of the update. I've gotten this message twice:
C:\DSChargeRoot>adb shell
$ /data/local/GingerBreak
/data/local/GingerBreak

[**] Gingerbreak/Honeybomb -- android 2.[2,3], 3.0 softbreak
[**] (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew. All rights reserved.
[**] Kudos to jenzi, the #brownpants-party, the Open Source folks,
[**] Zynamics for ARM skills and Onkel Budi

[**] donate to 7-4-3-C@web.de if you like
[**] Exploit may take a while!

[+] Detected Froyo!
[+] Found system: 0xafd1452d strcmp: 0xafd1d7ed
[+] Found PT_DYNAMIC of size 264 (33 entries)
[+] Found GOT: 0x000162e8
[+] Using device /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc2
[*] vold: 2382 GOT start: 0x000162e8 GOT end: 0x00016328

Update2: Appears to be a driver issue, as of now trying to get my PC to recognize the charge as something other than a generic drive.

Update3: Confirmed that I am indeed in ED2 /facepalm. lesson learned, going to the ODIN method.

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm having a hard time with the gingersnap oneclick method. I followed the prerequisite steps and am on ED1.
Looks like i'm stuck on "Stealing the ginger's soul" running for 10+ minutes. desktop utility shows the CPU still working hard for what that's worth. Am i missing something? or should I just try the ADB method

Update:
Tried method 2 and everything seemed to go well up to the execution of the update. I've gotten this message twice:
C:\DSChargeRoot>adb shell
$ /data/local/GingerBreak
/data/local/GingerBreak

[**] Gingerbreak/Honeybomb -- android 2.[2,3], 3.0 softbreak
[**] (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew. All rights reserved.
[**] Kudos to jenzi, the #brownpants-party, the Open Source folks,
[**] Zynamics for ARM skills and Onkel Budi

[**] donate to 7-4-3-C@web.de if you like
[**] Exploit may take a while!

[+] Detected Froyo!
[+] Found system: 0xafd1452d strcmp: 0xafd1d7ed
[+] Found PT_DYNAMIC of size 264 (33 entries)
[+] Found GOT: 0x000162e8
[+] Using device /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc2
[*] vold: 2382 GOT start: 0x000162e8 GOT end: 0x00016328

Update2: Appears to be a driver issue, as of now trying to get my PC to recognize the charge as something other than a generic drive.

Update3: Confirmed that I am indeed in ED2 /facepalm. lesson learned, going to the ODIN method.

try my rom

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87