[How-to] Root Droid Charge**5/19/11**[Windows & Mac] Now with GingerSnap!

stranula

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
well some claim they have been able to update back up to ED2, its up to you i cant make that decision for you . But one way or another we will be able to root ED2 and be able to make an odin package to ED2 again

Cool, just did the downgrade, easy as pie, and now I can freeze a bunch of those useless bloatware programs.

lawmage

May 15, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't look like the update replaces init.rc so we can modify it and have it still run after the update. Can we just have init.rc restore the suid bit on su and superuser.apk on boot?

Hmm. This won't work either, nor will dropping a SUID root version of SU at the root directory since the whole root directory is actually a ramdisk image which is rebuilt on each reboot. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that this is being replaced during the update or I'd just rebuild it with modified files.

Back to the drawing board.

parkn85

May 22, 2011
Visit site
thnx so much but...

i'm a noob to this whole android world... (coming from blackberry. i still miss my physical keyboard!)
and my phone was already updated when i got it.... :*(
i guess... i can roll it back to ed1... but i'm scurred! cuz i'm not too tech savvy... and the phone's so pretty. i don't want to brick(?) it.
it'd be awesome... if there's a simpler way to do this... there would be... right? cuz it makes me so angry when i scroll all the way down my applications (i put all those useless appls on the last page - the best i could do with my knowledge. lol.) i see blockbuster and golf. wth. i've come to terms with accepting stupid verizon apps on my verizon phones after years... but seriously? let's golf?
anyway. thnx for the info... but i hope there will be an easier way to root the phone... cuz i'm not a genius, but i can read and follow instructions :]

mslpilt#AC

May 18, 2011
Visit site
So i'm still on the fence about downgrading/rooting with ED2-ED1. I see some post that indicate you can recover from the downgrade/root and it will cause no issues in the future with updates, but then i see some post that say once it's done there's no recovery and you'll be stuck? Thanks again for all the knowledge and advice. You guys are awesome!

imnuts

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Root for ED2 works with a custom kernel, and more stuff should be out soon then as well, like custom ROMs that are pre-rooted.

JLoftus

May 18, 2011
Visit site
With LPP and fat trimmed, the Charge is pretty fast already. OCing will just kill your battery faster, make the device run hotter, and likely shorten its lifespan.