[How-to] Root Droid Charge**5/19/11**[Windows & Mac] Now with GingerSnap!

onilosmada

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
use this - link

then update to EE4 (if ED2 update doesn't show up b4 EE4 does, that's OK)

then install this - you will have root - link

then install this - link

steps can be found in each post, also it helps to clear cache after downgrade to ED1 before you install EE4 update (before boot, cause after downgrade to ED1, your phone will boot in to CWM)

proof that EE4 works with AB 4.1.1 - post

I can confirm that this method works. I have not yet updated to AB 4.1.1. muzhik, In the guide you provided you have the step to install CWM recovery. I am confused, AB 4.0 includes CWM and voodoo lagfix. Is this step necessary? Also, can you be more clear on how to install the AB 4.1.1 patch? The AB thread did not seem very informative. Although I did not dig through the thread much for a guide.
Thanks again for the guide!

P.S. This is my first time rooting a phone so excuse my ignorance.

hsomnus

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
[WARN]Gingersnap (along with all other Android modifications) is experimental software and while I have made this as safe as possible, differences in operating environments and natural disasters can cause your device to become unusable. Please make sure you understand this important fact before downloading.

Disclaimer: Neither myself, Android Central or any other member of Android Central are responsible for any disasters that occur as a result of any hack or modification you perform on your device. Your use of this application is at your own risk![/WARN]

With that out of the way, I'd like to introduce you to the Gingersnap Root Utility. Gingersnap is a one-click root utility, much like SuperOneClick or Universal Androot.

The nitty gritty: Gingersnap uses a modified version of the famous GingerBreak exploit to automatically root your Android-powered device and installs the necessary files to maintain a permanent root status.

Pre-use Requirements:
1) You need the .NET 4 Framework. Not the Client Profile, the full .NET 4 Framework.
2) For some reason you need the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable installed. Don't ask me why.
3) You need proper drivers for the your phone. Your video card doesn't work without drivers and neither will your phone.
4) Before running this Utility please make sure your phone is in debugging mode

Instructions:
  • Download and unzip Gingersnap-V1.2.zip to anyplace on your computer
  • Connect your phone to computer in debugging mode
  • Open Gingersnap-V1.2 folder
  • Double click Gingersnap applications icon
    gingersnap.png
  • press GO , sit back and relax
Credits:
Gingersnap Utility: drewwalton19216801
GingerBreak exploit: C-Skills (Sebastian)
Autoroot shell script (com.sh): Droidxcon, YAY ME!
MAJOR thanks to jondevere for being drewwalton19216801's personal guinea pig!

Think you're ready? The file is attached to this post.

Source Code:
The modified GingerBreak source code is attached to this post. The filename is gingerbreak-mod-gs-src.zip
Will the Gingersnap one-click root a new Charge operating on
Firmware 2.2.1;
Basebandi510.06 V.EE4
SCH-I510.EE1;
Kernel Version 2.6.32.9;
Build Number SCH-I510.EE4??

hsomnus

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Directions: (Assuming you followed preparations from Post #2)

Download DSChargeRoot.zip:

With your phone in debugging mode set to stay awake
1. Extract downloaded DSChargeRoot.zip file directly to your C:\ Drive

2. Now go to your start button on your menu bar,in the run field or search field depending on your version of windows, type CMD and hit enter. The command box will present itself. From here on out just copy and paste the commands i will provide below. To paste in the command box you must right click on the mouse and select paste. Do not paste BOLD text below those are just for info.

Commands are as follows:

Code:
cd C:\DSChargeRoot 

adb devices

It will state
"List of devices attached
I500******* device"
If you dont see this you are not connected

Code:
adb push su /data/local/su
adb push Superuser.apk /data/local/Superuser.apk
adb push GingerBreak /data/local/GingerBreak
adb push com.sh /data/local/com.sh
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/su
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/GingerBreak
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/com.sh
adb shell

The adb shell command will not put you in the phones internal command terminal. This is represented with "$" prompt. You will now execute the GingerBreak exploit. This make take serveral minutes.

Code:
/data/local/GingerBreak

After entering the above command Gingerbreak will do its thing. A successful exploit will end with this,"[!] dance forever my only one"
If it ends in anything else or if it hangs for more than 5 minutes pull your battery and attempt to root again.
After exploit is complete you will have a command prompt that looks like this "#". That represents root access. You will now excute shell script then reboot your phone.

Code:
/data/local/com.sh
exit
exit
adb reboot

Your phone will now reboot. Congrats Enjoy your rooted device
[TIP]
superuser-1.png
check app drawer to see if superuser app is installed,if it is you are rooted[/TIP]
Firmware 2.2.1;
Basebandi510.06 V.EE4
SCH-I510.EE1;
Kernel Version 2.6.32.9;

goldberg96

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I am new to all this. Once my Droid Charge is rooted:

1. Do you ever have to do it again? What happens if updates for the phone become available?
2. Is there some info somewhere on how to effectively use this administrative right? In other words, I might want to uninstall some apps but how do I learn how to do that?

Thanks folks. Looking forward to using this forum ......... Rob

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Firmware 2.2.1;
Basebandi510.06 V.EE4
SCH-I510.EE1;
Kernel Version 2.6.32.9;

No it wont work on anything above ED1 , Anyting above ED1 requires custom kernels

I am new to all this. Once my Droid Charge is rooted:

1. Do you ever have to do it again? What happens if updates for the phone become available?
2. Is there some info somewhere on how to effectively use this administrative right? In other words, I might want to uninstall some apps but how do I learn how to do that?

Thanks folks. Looking forward to using this forum ......... Rob

1. read statement above. yes everyupdate will require you to find a way to gain root but it will become easier

2. there is info all over the site . search keywords "rooted now what"

cool i think ill try this

if you have ED1 it will be a breeze otherwise you need to look into a custom kernel or rom

czastrow

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Check out DroidXcon's Altered Beast ROM I'm sure he will be updating it shortly to include the new EE4 files and his ROM includes CWM and the Voodoo Lagfix Kernel so you will be rooted.

When I install this ROM will I lose all data that is currently on my phone (contacts, email, apps . . .)?

P2Kmafia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
[WARN]Gingersnap (along with all other Android modifications) is experimental software and while I have made this as safe as possible, differences in operating environments and natural disasters can cause your device to become unusable. Please make sure you understand this important fact before downloading.

Disclaimer: Neither myself, Android Central or any other member of Android Central are responsible for any disasters that occur as a result of any hack or modification you perform on your device. Your use of this application is at your own risk![/WARN]

With that out of the way, I'd like to introduce you to the Gingersnap Root Utility. Gingersnap is a one-click root utility, much like SuperOneClick or Universal Androot.

The nitty gritty: Gingersnap uses a modified version of the famous GingerBreak exploit to automatically root your Android-powered device and installs the necessary files to maintain a permanent root status.

Pre-use Requirements:
1) You need the .NET 4 Framework. Not the Client Profile, the full .NET 4 Framework.
2) For some reason you need the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable installed. Don't ask me why.
3) You need proper drivers for the your phone. Your video card doesn't work without drivers and neither will your phone.
4) Before running this Utility please make sure your phone is in debugging mode

Instructions:
  • Download and unzip Gingersnap-V1.2.zip to anyplace on your computer
  • Connect your phone to computer in debugging mode
  • Open Gingersnap-V1.2 folder
  • Double click Gingersnap applications icon
    gingersnap.png
  • press GO , sit back and relax
Credits:
Gingersnap Utility: drewwalton19216801
GingerBreak exploit: C-Skills (Sebastian)
Autoroot shell script (com.sh): Droidxcon, YAY ME!
MAJOR thanks to jondevere for being drewwalton19216801's personal guinea pig!

Think you're ready? The file is attached to this post.

Source Code:
The modified GingerBreak source code is attached to this post. The filename is gingerbreak-mod-gs-src.zip
thank you so much!

dcluley98

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
no it wont work on anything above ed1 , anyting above ed1 requires custom kernels

1. Read statement above. Yes everyupdate will require you to find a way to gain root but it will become easier

2. There is info all over the site . Search keywords "rooted now what"

if you have ed1 it will be a breeze otherwise you need to look into a custom kernel or rom
thanks all!!!!!11111~!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87