does anyone actually think we are getting root?

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Don't listen to P3Droid, he likes to mess around. I do gotta say I love the JB feature of disabling apps. I have about 30 apps on the DL... Mostly bloatware and then some apps that I don't use. I definitely notice a difference in speed without all the clutter.

mistermojorizin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Don't listen to P3Droid, he likes to mess around. I do gotta say I love the JB feature of disabling apps. I have about 30 apps on the DL... Mostly bloatware and then some apps that I don't use. I definitely notice a difference in speed without all the clutter.

i've heard a few people say it like it's a new feature in JB, cause my gnex would disable apps too (2011 technology aka ICS). Or is there a new better type of disabling that i'm not aware of in JB?

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
i've heard a few people say it like it's a new feature in JB, cause my gnex would disable apps too (2011 technology aka ICS). Or is there a new better type of disabling that i'm not aware of in JB?

It is a new feature to most.a lot of phones never made the jump to ice cream. Most of the old gingerbread phones simply could not run it. So the first time people saw the feature was when they got their next upgrade which by then was to jelly bean. If you look at the spread of active devices, ICS never had a huge portion. Most went from ginger to jb.

viper81

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Wont they just start back up again with a reboot?

Nope, they won't start because they are disabled. Give it a try. I disabled about 8 pre-installed apps. It pretty much freezes them so they can't start, and they also don't show up in the apps drawer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Nope, they won't start because they are disabled. Give it a try. I disabled about 8 pre-installed apps. It pretty much freezes them so they can't start, and they also don't show up in the apps drawer.

Thanks!! What did you disable btw?

viper81

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks!! What did you disable btw?

I disabled the following:
Amazon
Amazon MP3
Appstore
Caller name id
Ingress
Nfl mobile
Verizon mobile security
Verizon tones
Viewdini
Vz navigator

I'm testing disabling others as well.

shamo316

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I disabled the following:
Amazon
Amazon MP3
Appstore
Caller name id
Ingress
Nfl mobile
Verizon mobile security
Verizon tones
Viewdini
Vz navigator

I'm testing disabling others as well.

i also have these disabled as well.
Audible
Migrate
Migrate reader library
Migrate writer library
Quickoffice (i have the paid version)

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes I believe that Google did in fact introduce the disable feature in ICS.

My main reason for rooting non-Nexus phone is to, of course, remove the bloatware. It really does significantly increase the phones speed because many of the bloat apps persist in the phone's active RAM (and cache) until the phone's RAM capacity is fully in use, then Android automatically kills off processes that it deems low in priority to make room for the processes one demands. This is the main reason behind why task killers are useless.

I have much experience changing the suffix of the apks via root explorer to remove bloat, as I have with my OG Droid, Droid X and various other Verizon phones that my friends had. I made an aggressive list in the developer section of the Droid X for Corey, which he added to his post. However, Google's App menu does not allow every app to be disabled. Most can. This will have to suffice until a root is found.

My aggressive DL is as follows... This is tested and proven to work and will not damage or prevent your phone from running correctly. *If you use any of these apps ie: Google Music then obv do not disable. This is just a list of the apps that I have disabled.

Amazon
Amazon (Store)
Amazon kindle
Amazon MP3
Amazon (App store)
Audible
Calendar (I dl the Google one, do not disable calendar storage as this affects the Google one from the play store as well)
Caller ID (Wack, and not accurate)
Dictionary Provider (SwiftKey rules all)
Droid command center (beautiful widget)
Droid dream (Useless)
Droid Zap (cool but slow and not super useful. Gmail is faster)
Emergency Alerts
Google Keyboard (SwiftKey all day)
Google Play Books
Google Play Magazines
Google Play Movies
Google Play Music
Help
Home Screen Tips
Migrate (after using it, becomes useless)
Migrate Reader Library
Migrate Writer Library
Moto Hotspot
Moto Chinese Input
Motorola Assist
Motorola Assist Framework
Motorola Assist Talk To Me
Motorola Car Dock
My Info Zone
NFL Mobile (surprised I was allowed to)
Photo Screen Savers
Sync Service (I hate vzw backup assistance. It's redundant. Google back up is better)
Talkback (handicap assist)
Verizon Login (idk what it does but useless imo)
Verizon Mobile Security
Verizon Tones
Viewdini
VMware ready
Voicemail (Google Voice)
Vz Navigator (Google Maps is the truth. Wale accident updated built in. Nice touch)
Weather (I use weather bug)

That's my list so far. If anybody has any questions please feel free to ask. :cool:

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure folks are working on root... But there would be no point for a couple of reasons.

1. The CPU architecture is the Motorola X8. The way they distributed the cores is a very unique process not done by any other phone. Which means kernel developers will have a very hard time optimizing a kernel that has already been optimized.

2. 4.3 introduces some new security features. Eventually we will get this update. Or KK. Either way, Google wants to do some locking down in the future.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure folks are working on root... But there would be no point for a couple of reasons.

1. The CPU architecture is the Motorola X8. The way they distributed the cores is a very unique process not done by any other phone. Which means kernel developers will have a very hard time optimizing a kernel that has already been optimized.

2. 4.3 introduces some new security features. Eventually we will get this update. Or KK. Either way, Google wants to do some locking down in the future.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

I beg to differ.

First you start by assuming that if you want root you also want custom kernals or Roms. I and many others don't care about that. We want root to run root only apps like titan backup or Google wallet (if on Verizon).

Second, google has not locked down yet and it is possible based on verizons track record that these phones may not see it for a while. Some of us may even choose not to upgrade if root will not be possible. There is nothing in 4.3 I want more than Google wallet.

bigv5150

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The jb update on my bionic did not have root but voodoo worked if we get root on 4.2.2 all we should have to do is protect root unroot take update and then reinstate root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress