Lost factory navigation app

john_razr

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
What is the default navigation app on the Razr M that has the icon that looks like the triangle arrow pointing upwards? I had it on my new Razr M and was using yesterday but now the app is missing. I still have the Google navigation app but it would be nice to get that one app back. Thanks.

DrHitch

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
The "navigation" app was indeed truly a separate application from maps since a) it had it's own icon and b) since it stood alone in the apps directory as a selectable/deletable application. The fact that Google "killed" the navigation app and merged it with "maps" is fine, but a lot of users have been caught off-guard by the disappearance of the blue up-arrow icon!

Google should somehow notify users when operating system changes like this are made. It's very frustrating. Maybe leave the icon with a pop-up that says "swap this icon out for maps"?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The "navigation" app was indeed truly a separate application from maps

False. It was never in the Play Store, never had it's own APK and was always just a shortcut to features in the Maps APK. Updates to Navigation always occurred through Maps, because there was no separate app.

The updates to the Maps app were detailed fairly thoroughly in mid May over the course of 3 days. I'm not sure they ever mentioned that icon, but it couldn't matter less. Navigation is as simple as swiping up from home into Google Now, saying, "Okay Google, navigate to '123 Sesame St' " and it's then following the turn by turn directions. That or opening the map, searching for an address and pressing the button that comes up to navigate to your search result.

Here are 11 or so pages of people trying to figure this out and explanations of how to accomplish the needed tasks.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-google-maps-update.html?highlight=navigation

epopper

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Great news! Just go into Manage Apps, find the Maps App and uninstall the update. When it asks if you want to set it to factory defaults, do so.

It's back & working great!

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
The "navigation" app was indeed truly a separate application from maps since a) it had it's own icon and b) since it stood alone in the apps directory as a selectable/deletable application. The fact that Google "killed" the navigation app and merged it with "maps" is fine, but a lot of users have been caught off-guard by the disappearance of the blue up-arrow icon!

Google should somehow notify users when operating system changes like this are made. It's very frustrating. Maybe leave the icon with a pop-up that says "swap this icon out for maps"?
This was announced at the same time google announce the end of lattitude. All functions including navigation were to be run through one app. I can understand the frustration of learning something new, and or a change in daily motions. But this is quite easy to learn. Takes patience.

inorite

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Great news! Just go into Manage Apps, find the Maps App and uninstall the update. When it asks if you want to set it to factory defaults, do so.

It's back & working great!

I did this after checking out their update to Maps and completely hating every inch of it.

rheig

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
If the blue triangle was simply a link into the general maps app, why is it that with all the brain power we have here someone can't recreate the link? All I see what seems to be lectures saying it is all still there. Knowing that many people still seek the simple way to get into the program, instead of telling us to "get used to it" how about helping a navigate around the change? I really do not appreciate a company coming into my system and deleting stuff without my knowledge. Even virus checkers will ask -- and those deletions are malware.

BTW, Google Play does not give the "factory restore" option -- and I am on Jellybean, not KK. Bob

Traveller45

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Thanks the UNINSTALL UPDATE solution worked great. Without this forum I dont think I would have guessed that you can uninstall updates by slices or aspects, rather than just globally. And you see it was NOT the same. The Nav App, while it may draw its knowledge from Google Maps, looks different, it talks to you (handy while driving), it responds much better (I was briefly trying to find my way with Google Maps alone. It would give me a list of roads and points where to turn, but does not lead me the way the Nav App does). Why in the world did they delete this really useful instrument in the update package?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non