Picture View in Text Messaging goes Dim

dubleaa

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
If I launch a picture from a Text Message (regardless if I sent it or someone sent it to me) it comes up for about a half a second with "normal" brightness and then after about another second it dims down to the point it's almost not viewable. Viewing pictures in my Gallery, they all show up with normal brightness. I've checked 'Display' settings and the 'Brightness' in the 'Adjust brightness level' is set to 'Automatic brightness'. Any idea here?

postwick

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Oh, and since the KitKat update on my HTC One, I see a "Done" button instead of a "Send" button in the stock messaging app. Happens with all keyboards. Have to switch to portrait and activate the keyboard to see the "send" button.

mustngmack

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm using the LG Enact and it does the same thing for me. I found if I drag my finger across the screen (left or right) and hold, the black screen will hide. Seems like there is a overlying photo app that is black and semi transparent that is covering the image.

dubleaa

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I figured out the very same thing by accident. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Google Photos, but I don't understand why. When I click on a picture attachment it gives me 2 options for 'Complete option using' - 'Gallery' or 'Photos' (Google Photos). If I select Gallery the image is shown in normal brightness, if I select Photos (Google Photos) it does the quick display to dimly lit display trick. Seems bass aackwards to me to select Gallery when you are viewing a picture that wasn't taken by you... Maybe this will be corrected in the next software update, who knows. For now I guess I will just have to live with the quirk and move on.

TRAClE

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem.
I went to:
-Settings
-Apps
-Google+
-Clear Defaults
Then pull up a picture and choose to view with Gallery instead of Google. And choose "Always"

postwick

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem.
I went to:
-Settings
-Apps
-Google+
-Clear Defaults
Then pull up a picture and choose to view with Gallery instead of Google. And choose "Always"

I cleared Google+ defaults, and tested each app. All worked correctly including Google Photos. I set the default back to Google Photos and it is working correctly, no dim screen. Let's see how long it lasts...

Mario Joia

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Uninstall/Remove updates of the G+ app and maybe Photos/Picasa in the Application section of the Settings menu, then re-install the updates.
There is a somewhat temporary fix though, found it out trying various things and noticed one:

Opened an image from the widget, went back a step clicking on the UPPER LEFT PHOTOS ICON, then re-opened the same image.
It seems that the first thing that it shows is a "Preview" or an "Edit Picture" type of function, switching to the folder function and re-opening the image/folder worked.
After opening an image and clicking on the TABS icon of the android device itself, it showed that the picture was opened with both Gallery AND Photos.
Got baffled by this new discovery.
Though it shouldn't be this troublesome ;__;

MDB007

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Tracie thanks so much for the solution, been driving me nuts for over a month, glad i found this post. I like the droid platform but don't love it. too many quirks that make me want an iphone next time out.