When moving to a larger SD card, what steps need to be done?

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I've been using my Razr since Thanksgiving and I'm loving it! It even has me contemplating selling my iPod Touch (topic for another thread :D). Since I've been using it for a while and have apps, e-mail, music, and other data, what steps would be required for swapping to a larger SD card?

Can I just stick the SD card that's currently in the phone into a card reader and then copy the data to the larger card and then insert the larger card?

Thank you :)

bryonp

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
i would put the new card in first format it in the phone so to get the right folders on there then just copy the rest from your first card then u should be in great shape! also sorry it took so long for someone to answer u i don't know why but this razr forum is dead as hell i cant believe it such an awesome phone enjoy!:D

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
i would put the new card in first format it in the phone so to get the right folders on there then just copy the rest from your first card then u should be in great shape! also sorry it took so long for someone to answer u i don't know why but this razr forum is dead as hell i cant believe it such an awesome phone enjoy!:D

Thank you for the info. :)

Yeah, I was surprised that it took so long for a reply. The Razr ROCKS. It is my first smartphone and I'm really enjoying using it. :)

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I've done the transfer and it's nothing more than copying the data from one card to the next.
I'm thinking about a 64GB card.

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I've done the transfer and it's nothing more than copying the data from one card to the next.
I'm thinking about a 64GB card.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the Droid Razr only support up to 32 gb size micro SD cards?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
To the OP: One thing i definitely recommend is that you get a class 4 or above micro SD card, whatever size you choose. The one that comes stock on the RAZR is only a class 2. I know this for a fact because my stock micro SD card is currently in my Mom's Nook Tablet. When transferring all her music to the card, the speed would top out at 2 megabits per second. I got a class 4, 32 gb card in my RAZR now and transferring data is much better than the stock card.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
To the OP: One thing i definitely recommend is that you get a class 4 or above micro SD card, whatever size you choose. The one that comes stock on the RAZR is only a class 2. I know this for a fact because my stock micro SD card is currently in my Mom's Nook Tablet. When transferring all her music to the card, the speed would top out at 2 megabits per second. I got a class 4, 32 gb card in my RAZR now and transferring data is much better than the stock card.

Huh. Mine came with a class 6. Weird

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Huh. Mine came with a class 6. Weird

Does it have the little "6" inside the letter "c" mark on the card? My stock card had no number mark on it, indicating it a class 2 card.

I preordered my RAZR. I wonder if the preordered batch came with class 2 cards or if they temporarily ran out of the usual Micro SD cards and just said "screw it, put something in there so we can get this thing shipped".

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I sure hope the SD card Moto is using in the Razr is better than the ones they used on the X and X2. A very high failure rate on those cards (just do a google search). Mine went out in about six months. Lucky I had a recent SD card back up on my laptop.

And even though I have read Moto would replace it within phone warranty period; I replaced it with a Sandisk.