best way to install screen protector?

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Everytime i install a screen protector it always gets a speck or 2 of dust under it and it drives me crazy. Any way to prevent that?

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Back in the day when I used them I would run the shower in the bathroom on hot to steam up the bathroom as much as possible. The moisture in the air catches the dust particles floating around and creates a temporary clean room. Allow the moisture to settle, wipe down the glass with a lint free cloth, I used alcohol wipes packets, the mild type used for cleaning LCD monitors. Apply protective cover.
No more dust.

With Gorilla Glass you dont really need a protector though.

Forgot to add that you and your phone do not need to be in there while it is turning into a sana in there. Just try to keep the door closed as much as possible and turn off the central a/c for the 15 minutes this takes. After you turn the water off wait some time for the moisture to settle then do your work.

Trolling from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
All of the above is very good advice, plus I thoroughly vacuumed the dust gathering surfaces, corners, mirror tops, counters, using our full house vac, so it wasn't blowing dust back into the room, and then mopped the floor.

The screen went on flawlessly - not a molecule of dust anywhere in it or on it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Back in the day when I used them I would run the shower in the bathroom on hot to steam up the bathroom as much as possible. The moisture in the air catches the dust particles floating around and creates a temporary clean room. Allow the moisture to settle, wipe down the glass with a lint free cloth, I used alcohol wipes packets, the mild type used for cleaning LCD monitors. Apply protective cover.
No more dust.

With Gorilla Glass you dont really need a protector though.

Forgot to add that you and your phone do not need to be in there while it is turning into a sana in there. Just try to keep the door closed as much as possible and turn off the central a/c for the 15 minutes this takes. After you turn the water off wait some time for the moisture to settle then do your work.

Trolling from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

There are still many things that can and will scratch gorilla glass. And I for one would rather have that scratch on a screen protector than than the phone.
Mohs Scale of Hardness
And if you notice that quartz is above most glass and that is what sand is made mostly from. How hard is it to get one spec of sand in your pocket, and then be able to scracth it.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
All great advice. I have struggled too with dust, etc. and I am so anal retentive that nothing less than perfect will do.
I quit using the wet versions because I toasted an X...DOH! So now I use the dry protectors and they are subject to dust more than the wet. I found the best thing for me is not to use clear but anti-glare or mirrored because you can be a little less than perfect. The mirrored ones are very cool looking but not that practical...lots of glare. Still get by with it though.

CIMG6735.jpg
[/IMG]
CIMG6734.jpg
[/IMG]
CIMG6733.jpg
[/IMG]
CIMG6732.jpg
[/IMG]

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
No, after soaking it in boiling water (wanted it real clean) it quit working.
LOL

Actually one very tiny drop dripped off the protector and immediately rolled to the edge....it clearly seeped in between the screen and body and I knew I was in trouble.
Sure enough, waited till the next morning and turned it on and "blip" the screen went blank. Phone was on but the screen was no longer working.

Seattle,

The bottom edge is going to give you problems, I can tell right now.

How did you toast your X? did you dunk it in solution?

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Actually this one has been on for over a month, no issues with any edges.

No, after soaking it in boiling water (wanted it real clean) it quit working.
LOL

Actually one very tiny drop dripped off the protector and immediately rolled to the edge....it clearly seeped in between the screen and body and I knew I was in trouble.
Sure enough, waited till the next morning and turned it on and "blip" the screen went blank. Phone was on but the screen was no longer working.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Everytime i install a screen protector it always gets a speck or 2 of dust under it and it drives me crazy. Any way to prevent that?

Microfiber cloth or dust spray....or both. Be careful where you place the protector and phone when you're getting ready to apply it....look for any specs. Some protectors go on better then others...I've gone through some where you get that tiny little bubble that wont come out or the edge gets screwed up...drives me crazy. I just removed my screen protector today but it was one of the better jobs that I've done when i first put it on..came out perfect...no bubbles..nothing.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Lots of good info here. Humidity kills dust. I use compressed air to clear my phone and surface, but the trick is to wait "until the dust settles" then wash your hands and forearms like you are scrubbing in for surgery. Then make sure and have a sharp ridged card to work from the center out, clearing air bubbles. Don't worry about that during placement though, as that is step number 5 or whatever after you have prepped well. Practice helps, and almost always those of us that have done this ten times are pros.

tshannon92

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I too am very anal about these things... iphone perfect, eris perfect, BB Storm 2 perfect but this DX... is a whole other level of screen size lol.

I bought a 3 pack from Verizon and I totally messed up the first. I have never actually tried compressed air, I usually wipe with micro, wait for settling and then go. I got the second one on OK but not perfect...one side has a small...tiny spec of dust and its laughing at me... Ill have to try again.

Lurch81#AC

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I paid dude at best buy like 4$ I think they installed it and perfect no dust, bubbles, or anything I know I would have screwed it up

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I use a microfiber cloth to clean the screen, then wait for dust to settle then see if there are still specs of dust after everything settle, then I clean it again by wiping the cloth over it but never lifting the cloth up, like a continuous motion if the phone was like a foot long and set the cloth on the table. Then I peal the screen protector with sticky side down and put one side on the screen. I take a credit card or license and scrape it from one side to the other. Works for me every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non