Otterbox Defender, with Extended Battery

Kittai

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm new here, so I'm unsure if this has been posted before. I recently purchased an otterbox defender case for my Droid X. I realized that the website stated that it wasn't made to be capable with an extended battery - much to my dismay (I wear the standard battery down from a full-charge at 8am, to 20% by 3pm).

Looking up on these forums however, people have stated they are able to use the extended battery on their Droid X, with the defender case. I have tried to use the extended door with the case, but it doesn't seem to snap firmly in place.

So, I'm just wondering - to those who have managed to get the case to work with the extended door, how were you able to do so?

And I apologize, if this has been already discussed could you please send me the link? Thank you :)

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Some people force the standard door over the extended battery & claim it fits fine with no negative effects. Others have done it and said that it causes stress on the screen due to the additional pressure. You could see how you personally feel about it if you want to give it a chance.

My suggestion would be to leave the battery door off completely. The battery in the Droid X fits VERY snugly (so much so that the only way to get it out is to use the battery pull tab or pry it out) & the Otterbox Defender is completely sealed where dust can't get in, right?

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
So, I'm just wondering - to those who have managed to get the case to work with the extended door, how were you able to do so?

And I apologize, if this has been already discussed could you please send me the link? Thank you :)

Not sure what to say - the Defender works fine on both mine and my wife's X with extended batteries and accompanying extended door. Snapped together fine - in fact - I tried swapping back to the standard battery and door just to see if it was any different than with the extended and it didn't seem to be to me (maybe ever so slightly "tighter" but not enough to concern me). Both snapped together fine and stay together regardless of what battery & door I used.

Kittai

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what to say - the Defender works fine on both mine and my wife's X with extended batteries and accompanying extended door. Snapped together fine - in fact - I tried swapping back to the standard battery and door just to see if it was any different than with the extended and it didn't seem to be to me (maybe ever so slightly "tighter" but not enough to concern me). Both snapped together fine and stay together regardless of what battery & door I used.

Mine doesn't even come close to snapping together, which is a shame. Looking at the hard case, it appears that it would be able to allow enough room to use the extended batter and door, but it just won't snap together. I tried to "beat the system", using the original battery door - but that wouldn't even lock into the phone slots either. I figured if I could just lay the battery door on top of the extended battery, it would work. And it did, except the pressure-rainbows started to appear throughout the day and gradually became worse. Perhaps I have a small malfunction on either my phone or the case, or perhaps those who can use the extended batteries door with the defender case are the ones with something a little different (most likely with the case). Guess I'm just not lucky :p Here's to hoping a commuter otterbox case can hold up to my occupation.

Thank you for your replies :)

Kittai

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Does it not work without a battery door at all?

It does, I just don't feel comfortable using one without a battery door. I'm in the military and constantly battling mud, dirt, grime, etc. And when I'm not, I'm at a horse stables generally dealing with the same thing. I just don't want to continuously be taking the case apart to put the battery back in place to turn the phone back on.

Vicious cycle, unfortunately.

Dirty Ders

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I think you have two options here: The first is to do as El Jefe suggested and use the OtterBox Defender case without the extended battery door. The extended battery without door adds the same overall thickness to the phone as the standard battery and door does. So with reason, any case that is rigid and is designed specifically to house the Droid X and only the standard battery would be able to provide enough support to firmly and securely hold the extended battery without door in place. If you are additionally worried that your X will be more vulnerable to dirt and grime without a battery door, rest assured then, the OtterBox Defender will provide more protection from the elements than the naked X can.

The second option would be to return the OtterBox and buy a Trident Kraken case. It is far superior to everything else.

Ultra-Durable Phone and iPad Cases Offer Unsurpassed Protection, Ergonomic Design and Striking Style

Dirty Ders

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
However, I am curious as to how you are only getting 7 hours of usage and standby time out of the standard battery? An accumulated 7 hours of USE, I can see. But if your battery only last for 7 hours of usage and standby time then something is wrong. Either your settings are wack, or your battery is bad, or you can somehow multitask better than any known human; constant and uninterrupted texting, surfing, chatting, youtubeing and whatever while you are standing watch or cleaning out the stables.

My first OEM standard battery was a failure, so that can happen. I only got about 4 hours of accumulated use out of it. I have a new OEM standard battery and I get about 8 hours, and my OEM extended battery gets about 12 hours of usage and about 10 days of standby time. For me that last about 3 days from charge to charge, but then I am not a texter, and I don’t use it for youtube.

You really should change your phones settings. It doesn’t matter what you are doing with the X, the standard battery should give you about 8 hours of use. That’s 8 hours of youtube video using the CPU, GPU, screen, and Data transceiver, pretty much the most tasking thing you can do.

Set your X to the following:

Wi-Fi off
GPS off
Bluetooth off
Screen timeout set to no more than 1 minute maybe even 30 seconds
Screen backlight level set to ZERO
Battery settings set to custom then to 15 minutes for both peak and off-peak hours.

If you have access to Wi-Fi then turn off 3G and turn on Wi-Fi.