[Odin-EC05] Froyo EC05 Prerooted/CWM v2.5.1.0 RFS (Odexed)

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
3) What is CWM?
CWM= Clockwork recovery mod
ClockWorkMod
OK. What is that???

In a nutshell what I want at the end of the day is an non-rooted phone with froyo and all my data. How do I get from a non-rooted DI18 to non-rooted EC05 with data intact?
For this just wait for the OTA to hit your phone.
I don't think this will help me.

I want my data retained but both the OTA update and the update.zip method will wipe out my data so I'll end up with froyo but no data. Or at least that's what was told earlier in this thread. Is that wrong? Will these methods retain my data?

If I use the Odin method to install froyo is there a way to unroot the phone so I end up with stock froyo and all my data?

Titanium Backup and MyBackup Root both require my phone to be rooted. Is there a backup app that does not require the phone to be rooted? Then I'd be able to back everything up, do the froyo update OTA or with update.zip and the restore my data.

There must be some way to install the froyo update and keep my data without ending up with a rooted phone? What on earth do people who aren't sophisticated enough to know about places like AC do? Is the other 90% of Epic users just updating to froyo and kissing their data goodbye?

Last edited:

TEU

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
To say this worked perfectly wouldn't quite do it justice. Thanks a ton!

uscpsycho: I just looked around the internet and didn't find any hard evidence the OTA will wipe your phone. However, I'm not sure if OTA'ing from DI18 to EC05 breaks root, either.

If someone confirms that it DOES break root, well then you can just backup, flash to a rooted stock DI18, restore your data, then OTA to EC05. Easy-Peasy.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

OK. What is that???

I want my data retained but both the OTA update and the update.zip method will wipe out my data so I'll end up with froyo but no data. Or at least that's what was told earlier in this thread. Is that wrong? Will these methods retain my data?

If I use the Odin method to install froyo is there a way to unroot the phone so I end up with stock froyo and all my data?

Titanium Backup and MyBackup Root both require my phone to be rooted. Is there a backup app that does not require the phone to be rooted? Then I'd be able to back everything up, do the froyo update OTA or with update.zip and the restore my data.

There must be some way to install the froyo update and keep my data without ending up with a rooted phone? What on earth do people who aren't sophisticated enough to know about places like AC do? Is the other 90% of Epic users just updating to froyo and kissing their data goodbye?

CWM is a recovery manager/ similar to a bios menu when you boot up your computer. You can access functions to make significant changes to your phone. From there you can make complete back ups restore them, flash updates, roms, modifications and a bunch of other useful stuff.

I know in other posts it says the OTA is "supposed" to wipe you date. This is untrue, no OTA is supposed to wipe your data. The reason EB13 got pulled was because it was wiping some phones unintentionally. EC05 OTA should not wipe and data but as with any software sometimes it doesn't work properly. You could always take your phone to a sprint store and ask them to install EC05 so your preserve your data.

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
CWM is a recovery manager/ similar to a bios menu when you boot up your computer. You can access functions to make significant changes to your phone. From there you can make complete back ups restore them, flash updates, roms, modifications and a bunch of other useful stuff.

I know in other posts it says the OTA is "supposed" to wipe you date. This is untrue, no OTA is supposed to wipe your data. The reason EB13 got pulled was because it was wiping some phones unintentionally. EC05 OTA should not wipe and data but as with any software sometimes it doesn't work properly. You could always take your phone to a sprint store and ask them to install EC05 so your preserve your data.
THANK YOU!

If someone would have told me this right off the bat it would have saved me a lot of headaches and head scratching.

To be safe I think it's a good idea to back up my phone before doing the OTA update just in case. Is there anything comparable to Titanium Backup and MyBackup Root that will work on an unrooted phone?

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
THANK YOU!

If someone would have told me this right off the bat it would have saved me a lot of headaches and head scratching.

To be safe I think it's a good idea to back up my phone before doing the OTA update just in case. Is there anything comparable to Titanium Backup and MyBackup Root that will work on an unrooted phone?

Actually, those are the best two options nothing else compares.

You can always root DI18/EB13 then make your back ups using one of those programs...you will still get the OTA(if there is an OTA for EB13) because you have not removed any stock apps or installed any custom stuff. When you get the OTA it WILL break your root. If after the OTA installation process you have lost any data/apps and you want them back; then all you would have to do is root EC05 and install Mybackup root or Titanium and restore whatever got deleted. If the OTA install doesn't delete anything well then you are good delete the back up apps and the back up files off of your sd card.

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Actually, those are the best two options nothing else compares.

You can always root DI18/EB13 then make your back ups using one of those programs...you will still get the OTA(if there is an OTA for EB13) because you have not removed any stock apps or installed any custom stuff. When you get the OTA it WILL break your root. If after the OTA installation process you have lost any data/apps and you want them back; then all you would have to do is root EC05 and install Mybackup root or Titanium and restore whatever got deleted. If the OTA install doesn't delete anything well then you are good delete the back up apps and the back up files off of your sd card.
Great info. Thank you!

I have the OTA on my phone ready to go, I'm just trying to figure out a backup strategy before I run it.

If I root my DI18 in order to make a solid backup with Titanium will I still be able to go into my settings and run the OTA that's waiting for me? Or will I lose the OTA?

If the update to EC05 doesn't go smoothly then I'd have to root my phone to restore my backup from Titanium. At that point will there be any way to unroot the phone or is the phone permanently rooted unless I reflash it?

P.S. I'm trying to rep the people that are helping me but can't seem to do it. What milestone do I have to hit before I'm allowed to rep people? I owe quite a bit of thanks for the help I've received.

jimmyz

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Hello again
Does this Rom also include:
CWM redirector- can reach CWM via Rom Manager? Looks like no- also if I try adb reboot recovery I get stuck on the samsung logo
What version of busybox if installed
What scripts are included?
Looks like the su binary is installed along with su?
thanks again for your work

Last edited:

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Great info. Thank you!

I have the OTA on my phone ready to go, I'm just trying to figure out a backup strategy before I run it.

If I root my DI18 in order to make a solid backup with Titanium will I still be able to go into my settings and run the OTA that's waiting for me? Or will I lose the OTA?

If the update to EC05 doesn't go smoothly then I'd have to root my phone to restore my backup from Titanium. At that point will there be any way to unroot the phone or is the phone permanently rooted unless I reflash it?

P.S. I'm trying to rep the people that are helping me but can't seem to do it. What milestone do I have to hit before I'm allowed to rep people? I owe quite a bit of thanks for the help I've received.
IMO mybackup root is more user friendly and has a better interface so I prefer to use that for back ups.
If you root then back up the update SHOULD still be there, if it isn't then you can just use the update.zip method to update.
It is a permanent root. There are some unroot methods but I don't know how they work but the easiest way to unroot is to use odin and wipe.

downsouth11

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Worked flawlessly! Once it finished rebooting there are two things that seem to be missing for me.

1. no music player widget
2. multi task only shows 6 programs (I believe it should be 8 now)

Other than that looks great.
Thank you

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Is there a stock .tar and .pit fo rthis EC05 so I can just flash a fresh one?
If so please link thanks:-!

The three methods available are already posted.

update.zip

2 custom Odin packages.

There currently is no stock .tar Odin package or we would have posted it.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
OK. What is that???

No they are not saying good bye to their data. The official OTA update and also the update.zip method provided here will give you a normal update, and should do it with no data lost.. Also one of the two Odin packages also is a NO WIPE version which retains your Data.

As far as many of your other questions like ClockWorkMod...

Check my signature...

Please take the time to research as much as possible before you post, you may find your answer ;)
[FAQ] Q & A on Rooting/ROMs/Methods
If you would of clicked my link in my signature you would have found....

- ClockWorkMod or (CWM), what is it?

ClockWorkMod was developed to allow us to flash (install) ROMs, kernels, themes or add ons. It also allows you to perform a full backup/restore of your system (a secondary backup/restore utility is still recommended). You can also perform what is called "wipe" with CWM. It can do a full system wipe or in stages, this is always required before flashing a new ROM unless otherwise stated. There are other options available in CWM but should be left to more advanced users that fully understand them. The most current and recommended version is ClockWorkMod v3.0.0.5 on leaked Froyo DK28. If your running the official Froyo EB13 the most current CWM is v.3.0.0.6.
Sorry, not trying to be rude or anything please don't take it that way but the information to most of your questions is here on this section of the forum. My signature tells it all... Search for your answers and also the FAQ explains a whole lot more... ;)

Shadowspec

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Stuck on CWM Recovery

Hello, and thnx for all the time, and effort put forth,

Having issues, after Odin completes, phone reboots to CWM Recovery screen, how do I get it to boot normal, or get past the recovery screen??

Thnx,

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I finally got this working. The only issue I am having is that I can't download any of the sprint IDs....any help with this?

I haven't played around with this really.. I know the package works. The Sprint IDs might be stopped do to the fact that your now rooted and the system is detecting this.. I'm not positive on this but it is a possibility.

useport80

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
hey all, i've only had the epic for about 30 days, so im fairly new to the android os.

my epic came with DI18, and yesterday i did the manual update to EC05 which worked fine.

today, i decided to root my phone so i followed the first post NONWIPE and everything worked flawlessly and all my data is still here.

is there something that is supposed to tell me my phone is rooted? any version #'s or something? just feels like i ran through the steps successfully, and everything is still the same.

i would love a big splash screen that says "ur rooted :) "

sdf3392

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this great post. I ran the Sprint update this morning and it failed and I was worried that my Epic was toast. Fortunately it booted up and I immediately found this post to guide me through the update. Your steps were clear and easy to follow. Great Job!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress