New to rooting

Rderosier86

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
well I have not done it yet was looking at cyanmod 7 but its not available for the epic right? If it is is it the best option? Also how do I upgrade to gingerbread on a mac basically what is the equivalent to odin for mac

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
well I have not done it yet was looking at cyanmod 7 but its not available for the epic right? If it is is it the best option? Also how do I upgrade to gingerbread on a mac basically what is the equivalent to odin for mac
CM7 is still in an Alpha stage last I checked. Things have been at a slow pace with CM7 but they are slowly clicking along.

You could install and use Bootcamp on the MAC to run Windows in return use Odin.

There is another option for rooting without a computer but I'm not sure about getting the proper CWM needed on there to flash Gingerbread and have SU (Superuser access). The link is below

[GUIDE]Full Root and CWM without computer w/ Gingerbreak.apk by Chainfire & 743C

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
and is their any mods out that I can use with gingerbread and what should I use to back up before rooting?

Backups before rooting is limited. Actually rooting your device will not erase anything you have on your device. Its not changing the OS or anything its just providing root access. So once its rooted you can use apps like Titanium Backup or MyBackup Root to save apps/settings/data.

Mods for Gingerbread we have a list going for the newest leak (EF02). Mods are slow going because the devs don't want to put a ton of work into a leaked build due to the possibility that things they do might not work in the official build and have to start from scratch again.

[INDEX] Gingerbread (Leaked) EF02 ROMS & MODS (Updated 6/19)

Rderosier86

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok my main question is if I use the sticky post on the main page about upgrading to gingerbread not rooted yet will i lose my sms messages and apps, I can live with out apps.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok my main question is if I use the sticky post on the main page about upgrading to gingerbread not rooted yet will i lose my sms messages and apps, I can live with out apps.
SMS, download SMS Backup & Restore from the Market. Its free and it saves your txts right to your sdcard to restore when you want.. Does a nice job, fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress