How to get CWM back after updating

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I updated to the official ICS last night but before doing that I had to go back to stock EL29 which took away CWM (according to the video)..How can I put CWM back on?

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I updated to the official ICS last night but before doing that I had to go back to stock EL29 which took away CWM (according to the video)..How can I put CWM back on?

Well for starters... You've lost root. If you do the official OTA from Sprint it will break root.

You can use this one-click Odin flash either EL29 rooted/CWM or FF18 rooted/CWM...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=27635571

Because...Damn...Stock ICS looks horrible. haha

I'm going to assume you mean the stock "TouchWiz Launcher" and not the stock "ICS" launcher...

You can go to "setting" ->"Applications" and find the TW Launcher, tap it. Now scroll down and tap "Clear Defaults". Hit the home button, and choose the launcher that's not the TW one and set it as default. That will give you the stock ICS launcher.

Sent From My Galaxy10.1 Class Starship....

Last edited:

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
No, I did the manual update. I had to go back to stock root then did the update but I lost clockwork mod when doing that and wanted to get it back before I started to flash ROMS.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Your best bet right now is to use Odin to flash the Gingerbread EL26 kernel that is packed with CWM5. This will make sure you don't trigger the EMMC brick bug.

Make sure you have whatever ROM you want to flash on your phone already before you do this, as the GB kernel is not compatible with the ICS ROM on your phone and it won't boot. When you phone starts to reboot after the Odin flash, pull the battery. Then put it back in and boot straight into recovery. Then flash your ROM.

Hopefully whatever ROM you flashed is packaged with a kernel that includes a "safe" recovery. Then you'd be all set from there on.

Link to the EL26+CWM kernel: http://www.mediafire.com/?u0hs65d1utb3fe4

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: dt81

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Okay, now I am extremely confused...I had to go back to factory root on EL29 in order to upgrade to ICS which is on FF18..Now I should downgrade to EL26?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Were you able to get it working? I'm assuming you did since there have been no new post after getting it installed.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Ahh I didn't realize that sfhub had updates his tool to include agat's "safe" kernel and recovery. Thanks.

Just make sure you read sfhub's comments towards the end of that thread. There is still some small brick exposure if you're on an older ROM or possibly a version of an AOSP ROM. Although chris41g has a CM9 kernel now, and AOKP is using a brick safe TWRP recovery last I looked.

It's been tough for me to keep up with everything lately.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: thenameisnigel

Rockdog97

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
so I reverted back to EL29 GB) from FF18 (ICS) using the ODIN method...

[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097 (EL29 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developers

But I dont think I did the CWM install according to this note:

If you want CWM use Option C in the Auto Root Package to install EL29+CWM-Rogue (you are already rooted so Option A is not necessary)

I see that I now have a "Superuser" icon, but I have no idea what that is.. I'm a complete noob when it comes to rooting and what that means and what I can do with it.. Dont know how to install CWM on my rooted phone.

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Superuser means u are rooted. Allows you to give applications certain permissions. As far as installing cwm, I believe it's option a... Im probably wrong

Rockdog97

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Superuser means u are rooted. Allows you to give applications certain permissions. As far as installing cwm, I believe it's option a... Im probably wrong

"Option A"? Not sure what you mean.. I looked on the ODIN page and found something

I see the following, but have no idea what/which one to use or how to install:

b5) [CWM] EL29 Modem [Mirror1 / Mirror2] [MD5: 822ac41ed7210cbbfdc4ad750982a1f8 / Size: 5,132,425]
b6) [CWM] EL29 Kernel [Mirror1 / Mirror2] [MD5: cc1963b5958fc8cfb182fd57f088de85 / Size: 5,328,363]

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm gonna let someone else help ya as I'm not as educated on this as the others are. I don't want to mess ur phone up.

steddora

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
You will probably want to use that auto root package and if you're on EL29 gingerbread, then you have to use the option for the version (EL29) that your running. I've read up a million times and one of the most predominant problems I've seen is trying to run a gingerbread ROM on an ICS kernel or vice versa.

So make sure you flash a gingerbread based recovery. That will still allow your current stock room to boot.

However, if you have any allowance ofdoubt in what you're doing, I suggest a few days of research on XDA and here as well. Remember, safe is better than sorry lol. Super user means you have root access, like an administrator of a PC. You could potentially allow apps to do anything they want even if it includes harming the phone. So be careful and make sure you study it like is a final in college that determines if you pass or fail. :)

Hope this helps bud!