Verizon Nationwide 5g

gemery#CB

Banned
Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Talking the low band 5g. Anyone know if there are plans to expand this into New England, according to their coverage maps there is zippo coverage in New England..

Is that just because they do not hold any licenses for the frequency band in New England?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I can't answer your question, but I'll say fuggetaboutit. I get in and out of their low band 5G daily, and my experience is no different between LTE and 5G. A number of people report slower speeds on 5G. You're really not missing out on anything right now.

gemery#CB

Banned
Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I agree with what you are saying from what I have read... Just very misleading to say you have nationwide coverage and zippo in six states

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm retired.
I can afford anything I want.

I'm already paying 90.00 a month plus taxes for 2 phones.

If my phone worked on the moon

Who cares.
Nobody except my wife needs to get in touch with me.
Let her leave a message.

If its a emergency.
It can wait.

What did you do before cell phones.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
What did you do before cell phones.
We did things differently because we didn't have cell phones. Progress introduces issues that were unknown in prior times. Just like the future will have issues that we can't conceive of now. In any event, the OP is commenting about misleading advertising and statements that Verizon is making concerning 5G rather than the lack of 5G availability, or the need for 5G coverage everywhere.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
If you get 5 G you are gonna get 4G

Wait a few months.

T-mobile is gonna get stronger.
I seen home inspectors come out.
They have both verizon and T-mobile..they say they will give verizon a right now.
And give T-mobile a 6

But T-mobile is coming on strong.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Depends on what you want. I don't care how fast or advanced TMO's network is, I need coverage and they don't have it. Verizon is top dog on coverage.

I have said this for years. VZW does have the best coverage area, at least here in the US. However, what good is having the best coverage area if it's in places you'll never go. Several years ago I compared the VZW and Tmo maps and discovered Tmo had coverage in the same places VZW had that I visit, and a few places Tmo had coverage that VZW didn't (the lake home is one such place). So we switched to Tmo and it's been a great experience so far.

My point it, compare coverage maps of the area you live in, work in, visit on a regular basis, etc. You may find a better deal with another carrier that you didn't know was available.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Mr Moderator.
You say several yes ago..technology has changed.

T-mobile gave some better pricing earlier in the year.
They drew some people from At&t.
Those people are happier with the coverage and pricing.
They depend on wifi calling at home..their son is on verizon.
He too can't use his phone in their house.
He depends on wifi calling.
They live on the side of a mountain.

I noticed when they went to T-mobile their signal got better.
You can hear them much better.
He works 12 miles away in a small country town.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I actually left Verizon and went to AT&T. Just better deal.. or well really the pricing was the same due to work discount but I get full HD on AT&T, 100 GB de-priortization and 30 GB of hotspot a line. Verizon was 720/22 GB de-priortization, and 15 GB hotspot.

Plans and carriers just vary from person to person. For me this worked out but for others they are on T-Mobile or even prepay for the super cheap. For 5G though I don't think anyone is King yet. It will take a few years for it to be the true norm.

consultant1027

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Verizon confirmed with me that the new Samsung S20 phones are not enabled to connect to the 5G Nationwide Network only the 5G UW network in cities, so everywhere else they show 5G on their coverage map I get an LTE+ connection. Which as most have pointed out, it's really no better than the 5G low/mid band speeds.

But I'm wondering what current models Verizon sells ARE enabled for their low/mid band 5G? You would think the Samsung Flagship phones would be one of them!

This seems to me they are creating a potential customer service nightmare because they are hyping the 5G capabilities to sell new phones and sign up new subscribers when in reality it sounds like many of their customers are not going to see any 5G indicator on their 5G phone (depending on their model) when they are outside the UW network but inside the Nationwide 5G network. Seems like you'd have a lot of customers that don't understand what's going on asking WTF? Where's my 5G?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Verizon "5G" is 4G LTE Enhanced. The speed is hardly faster than 4G LTE (when they're not congested - with congestion either one is anyone's guess).

2. Verizon has 5G in cities, but not outside of cities. Not even in small cities or large towns. They cover the majority of people, but not the majority of area.