New VZW Plan with Wife's discount?

freakyhair

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, I'm finally jumping over to VZW from Sprint (cheap unlimited plan, atrocious service). I had to choose between Verizon and AT&T (only ones with reception at my work), and I figured Verizon would have the best coverage outside, so here I am.

So I have a Moto X Dev Edition on its way, and will need to sign up for a plan soon. My wife works for Target, so I get a 20% discount if the account is in her name. I was told I could sign up in my name, then switch it to hers to get the discount, then switch back, but that sounds like a lot of work.

Anyone have any advice on doing this?

Also, I use barely any minutes for calling (<200 a month?), and I stream a lot of Pandora on my phone. Am I stuck with the regular plan + 4 GB ($40 + $70), or is there a better deal? I'm not signing a contract yet as I'm hoping for a bigger price war this summer, and am waiting for new phones. I also want to test out VZW, and if it sucks too, jump to ATT.

Thanks!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Calling in the expert for you right now. Hang tight :p.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
How much data do you need? Pandora uses about 40mb per hour. Do you need two smartphones or would one smartphone and one basic phone suffice? If your wife needs a smartphone, how much data does each line need separately?

Does your wife have a target email account?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The steps are wrong. If she works for Target, the account name has to be in hers. If you move it back to you, the discount will drop off.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The steps are wrong. If she works for Target, the account name has to be in hers. If you move it back to you, the discount will drop off.

Assuming that you have a corporate email address for a qualifying employer, you would only need to verify the info through the corporate email. Basically you enter the email, they will send you a confirmation email to the corporate email then you just have to click a link to confirm or something like that.

If you do not have corporate email then you would need a pay stub.

And yes corporate discount would be removed if you assume liability of the account.

freakyhair

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
How much data do you need? Pandora uses about 40mb per hour. Do you need two smartphones or would one smartphone and one basic phone suffice? If your wife needs a smartphone, how much data does each line need separately?

Does your wife have a target email account?

I figured 3 hours a day, 20 days a month (work) * 40MB = 2400MB. Plus surfing. Am I better to start low, and increase only if I need it, or will VZW rape me for that?

She does have a target email account, and she gets her own phone through work, so it will be just me.

Assuming that you have a corporate email address for a qualifying employer, you would only need to verify the info through the corporate email. Basically you enter the email, they will send you a confirmation email to the corporate email then you just have to click a link to confirm or something like that.
If you do not have corporate email then you would need a pay stub.
And yes corporate discount would be removed if you assume liability of the account.

So she would just have to be the "owner" of the account? I'd prefer it if my name showed up on caller ID, etc. I know on sprint, we shared a plan, and when she left it, the plan stayed technically in her name, but my own line (only one on the account) was in my name, and we've kept the discount.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I figured 3 hours a day, 20 days a month (work) * 40MB = 2400MB. Plus surfing. Am I better to start low, and increase only if I need it, or will VZW rape me for that?

She does have a target email account, and she gets her own phone through work, so it will be just me.

So she would just have to be the "owner" of the account? I'd prefer it if my name showed up on caller ID, etc. I know on sprint, we shared a plan, and when she left it, the plan stayed technically in her name, but my own line (only one on the account) was in my name, and we've kept the discount.

For one line I would recommend the single line plan with 2gb for $75, with $15/gb overage. Even with 2gb overage you would be at $105,which is cheaper than the more everything plan price of $110,plus if you happen to use under 2gb, then that would be a substantial price reduction.

There is also a $60 loyalty plan with unlimited talk and text and 2gb data. You would have to sign up for a current plan first. Ymmv

Also you might want to consider Spotify premium at $10/mo,you can cache music for offline usage. Might be cheaper in the long run plus they have higher quality (bitrate) music.

Optionally if you listen to a single channel on Spotify, steam that channel for a long time whenever you are on wifi. Spotify will cache the songs to drastically reduce data usage.

With regards to employee discount, just sign up through your account on your wife's email on Verizon's employee discount webpage. Although I don't think that the loyalty or slp qualifies for the discount. If I were you, I would try the slp first and if no discount then you can move to the mep or loyalty.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%2Femployee+discounts&zipRdr=y&token=g6TRZQbn

Last edited:

Phoenix111

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
For one line I would recommend the single line plan with 2gb for $75, with $15/gb overage. Even with 2gb overage

Set Your Location

When my wife has overages on her tiered account, they are $10.00 per gb. My account is, however, an old nationwide talk and text plan. Are the overages different on newer plans?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Overage depends on the plan and tier. There isn't a fixed amount.

mdunn1066

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Its a 10-15 minute phone call, its called assumption of liability. Call 888-832-4540. Tell them you would like to release the number to your wife. Then they will ask to speak to your wife and she tells them she would like to assume control of the account. Then you go here and follow the steps for the discount Set Your Location

Its not a hard process and we do it daily in store and it does not take a long time. As for plans, the More Everything plans are pretty much it for smartphones. The nationwide plans can be used but end up being more pricey with high data limits. Her 20% discount comes directly off the price of the data (Not the 40$ smartphone access for your line or any line on the account).

Good Luck! :)

Hey all, I'm finally jumping over to VZW from Sprint (cheap unlimited plan, atrocious service). I had to choose between Verizon and AT&T (only ones with reception at my work), and I figured Verizon would have the best coverage outside, so here I am.

So I have a Moto X Dev Edition on its way, and will need to sign up for a plan soon. My wife works for Target, so I get a 20% discount if the account is in her name. I was told I could sign up in my name, then switch it to hers to get the discount, then switch back, but that sounds like a lot of work.

Anyone have any advice on doing this?

Also, I use barely any minutes for calling (<200 a month?), and I stream a lot of Pandora on my phone. Am I stuck with the regular plan + 4 GB ($40 + $70), or is there a better deal? I'm not signing a contract yet as I'm hoping for a bigger price war this summer, and am waiting for new phones. I also want to test out VZW, and if it sucks too, jump to ATT.

Thanks!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Since discounts are being discussed here.. Going slightly off topic.. Does anyone know how much the BJ's membership discount is for Verizon?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Be careful with some of those promo plans, because discounts don't apply to some of them because they are already discounted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress