T-Mobile and Google Voice

miller7796

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I have been considering porting my number to Google Voice so that I am not completely cut off from the world when doing various root activities on my phone. It would also be nice to be able to make/take calls from just about anywhere. The only downside I can see right now is having to take everything through Hangouts for texts. I am a big fan of Textra but Hangouts has come a long way in the last couple years too.

For those of you who do this currently, how is the call quality these days? Worth making the switch or hold off and see what the future holds?

As far as porting my number goes, I have a single line with T-Mo right now and plan to stay with them. My guess would be that I would need to add a line to keep the service in place and then port my number to GV which would then terminate the original line with T-Mo. Sound correct?

Thanks for your feedback!

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I made my sprint number my google voice number. I can still send texts using any messaging app.

Which is nice. I have my note7 line as my gv number. Also have my s6 with gv. Which is nice since i have my n7 off cause of the recall. And all my calls and texts that are coming to the n7 goes to my s6.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I made my sprint number my google voice number. I can still send texts using any messaging app.

Which is nice. I have my note7 line as my gv number. Also have my s6 with gv. Which is nice since i have my n7 off cause of the recall. And all my calls and texts that are coming to the n7 goes to my s6.

That's awesome (and it really was when I was on Sprint), However Sprint is the only carrier that supported using your GV number AS your Sprint number too. Google had planned when they announced that feature to bring it to other carriers, but that never happened.

That was the ONE feature that kept me on Sprint as long as was. I miss the integration, but the service and price that T-Mobile offered outweighed that.

elcheapodeluxe

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't use hangouts - I still use the Google Voice app. It works fine. Call quality is fine. I don't route my outgoing calls through GV unless international. SMS is a pain - but I don't generally get them unless one of my friends sends a multi-party text or a photo (I tell everyone that email works better for that but some people think texting photos is somehow simpler. It certainly isn't higher quality)

So - if you're ok waiting for the email with your SMS messages and ok not sending them, GV is fine. The number portability is awesome and I wouldn't trade the spam filter for anything.